The Monkey King (2014)

DiP

I enjoyed the movie as a crazy fantasy action ride with an for most parts comprehensible story, quite an advantage to the likes of LEGEND OF ZU or CHINESE TALL STORY. But the CGI were a real downer, especially for a budget that's en par with Hollywood-movies. Especially the opening scene almost turned me completely off, fortunately the effects get better, but there are still many problems with the compositing and the lighting. Furthermore the use of the CGI seems so unimaginative and display a surprising lack of vision. THE MONKEY KING looks and feels in many ways like a cheaply and quickly made kids movie, not like the epic it obviously wants to be.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Drunken Monk
Something better meaning, a better dvd quality? Or a better movie? Because I've already seen this movie and I enjoyed it

A better movie. But since you've seen it and enjoyed it...

Secret Executioner

Despite the criticism towards the movie, I'm still really interested in this one. I sure hope it will have a theatrical run over here - otherwise, I'll stick with the DVD release, but it sure would be nice to see a picture like this on the big screen.

THE MONKEY KING looks and feels in many ways like a cheaply and quickly made kids movie, not like the epic it obviously wants to be.

It's definitely a kid's movie, though it moves so slowly I imagine kids would become bored. The subs on the BR are of disappointing quality. Can't recommend it.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
What is the original language of this movie? Cantonese or Mandarin

I think I may have read somewhere (maybe earlier in this thread?) that no matter which audio choice you make, certain actor's voices will still be dubbed, as both Mandarin and Cantonese were spoken by the actors on set. Not 100% sure though.

I would put it on in Cantonese. Then if Donnie's voice doesn't match his lips, I would just switch the audio. Sorry I don't have a definitive answer for you.

Lol.. It's a stupid question I know.. But I just wanted to make sure when me and my lady watched it we were watching Donnie go "full monkey" I didn't want to watch someone dubbed over him "go monkey" if that makes any sense

What is the original language of this movie? Cantonese or Mandarin

I asked Kozo the same thing and got no satisfactory answer as he wasn't sure himself. Personally, I would judge Chinese films' original languages based on: places the stories are set in and in correlation to certain characters' origins. This film is based on an ancient novel so my realistic guess would be Mandarin.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Lol.. It's a stupid question I know.. But I just wanted to make sure when me and my lady watched it we were watching Donnie go "full monkey" I didn't want to watch someone dubbed over him "go monkey" if that makes any sense

It does. :wink:

I asked Kozo the same thing and got no satisfactory answer as he wasn't sure himself. Personally, I would judge a Chinese film's original language based on: places the stories are set in and in correlation to certain characters' origins. The film is based on an ancient novel so my realistic guess would be Mandarin.

Good answer.

I would agree.. Plus Imdb and Hong Kong cinema sites all say mandarin.. But dozens of things online say Cantonese.. Plus on the dvd itself the Cantonese is 5.1 and the mandarin audio is 2.0.. Im confused

That's the Hong Kong DVD. I have the Taiwanese BD with Mandarin and Cantonese in both 5.1 Dolby DS.

Doctor Schnabel von Rom

average movie i my opinion - only cgi, disappointing fight and fantasy scenes, i didn't liked the acting of donnie yen (normally i like him a lot) and in many scenes the movie was borning.

chow yun fat was pretty good, but it's not enough. i sold the blu ray. Better watch stephen chows A Chinese Odyssey Part 1 and 2 or Journey To The West: Conquering The Demons.

One Armed Boxer

I recently got through watching this one, and have to say it's the easy winner for the most unwatchable movie of 2014.

Donnie Yen may be improving in his acting ability, but I wish he'd stop choosing roles which involve him acting like a complete tw*t to demonstrate his range. That being said, the role of Sun Wukong makes his character from 'Special ID', who was irritating beyond comprehension, seem bearable in comparison.

Yen's Sun Wukong is a petulant, selfish, annoying, egotistical horror of a main character for a movie, with no redeeimng qualities whatsoever, and he remains that way even at the point when the final credits are rolling, if anyone is able to stick around that long.

I'm not overly familiar with the Monkey King story, however I understand this is an origin tale, and that after he's been imprisoned for his misdeamenors he returns as the good guy legend most people know and love. The problem with the origin tale of his character is exactly that though - he's completely unlikeable in every way, shape, and form. He's manipulated by the bad guys with incredible ease, and causes misery and destruction to just about every good character we come across, and we're supposed to be enjoying this!?

Then you have Aarow Kwok and Chow Yun Fat, who both wear expressions of terminal boredom whenever they appear onscreen, expressions which say "How long do we have to stand in front of this green screen before we can get out of here?", and you have to wonder what they were expecting when they agreed to take on the roles.

Top all of this off with some absolutely awful CGI, and a bunch of characters dressed in animal suits which look like they've been bought from a discount fancy dress shop, and there's really not a single positive thing I can say about 'The Monkey King'. A movie which I hope I never have the displeasure of coming across in the remainder of my lifetime.

Donnie Yen may be improving in his acting ability, but I wish he'd stop choosing roles which involve him acting like a complete tw*t to demonstrate his range. That being said, the role of Sun Wukong makes his character from 'Special ID', who was irritating beyond comprehension, seem bearable in comparison.

Yen's Sun Wukong is a petulant, selfish, annoying, egotistical horror of a main character for a movie, with no redeeimng qualities whatsoever, and he remains that way even at the point when the final credits are rolling, if anyone is able to stick around that long.

The Sun Wukong Yen portrays here is actually faithful to the novel to an extent. The original Sun Wukong possesses great powers but has no control of himself and is way more arrogant and aggressive then in this film adaptation. The childish demeanor --- that Stephen Chow and Jet Li also showcased in their films --- that Yen carries off throughout the film was meant to be a selling point for children but he displays a variety of emotional expressions as the film progresses. And Yen's Su Wukong is far from being petulant and egoistical. The relationship between Wukong and Ruxue was everything but unfriendly, and Wukong realizes the fault of his actions after being used by Bull King and makes that up helping Jade Warlord out in the end and even accepts being imprisoned for what he caused. I'd say that's a big redeeming quality from the character's recklessness and impulsiveness in the beginning of the film.

Seems to me that some people just can't rub off Yen's image as a tough guy and appreciate seeing him playing different characters outside his comfort zone --- even a complex animal-like character --- but don't have that problem with Jackie or Jet.

One Armed Boxer
The Sun Wukong Yen portrays here is actually faithful to the novel to an extent.

How faithful a movie sticks to its source material though should never be used as a measuring stick as to if it's good or not.

Take the novel Baifa Monü Zhuan, it was adapted very loosely in the movie 'The Bride with White Hair', which is an undeniable Hong Kong genre classic. Then take the recent 'The White Haired Witch of Lunar Kingdom', a movie which sticks to the novel much more closely, and as a result, sucks.

Seems to me that some people just can't rub off Yen's image as a tough guy and appreciate seeing him playing different characters outside his comfort zone --- even a complex animal-like character --- but don't have that problem with Jackie or Jet.

I'm not sure if this is aimed specifically at my comments, but obviously it was triggered by them. However for me the problem with the movie is not related to Yen, the character was written as it was, and as a result you could have my 85 year old grandmother playing Sun Wukong, and I'd still hate it.

It's the differences in opinion which make this forum so enjoyable to be a part of, and for me there's no amount of convincing which could make me believe that 'The Monkey King' is anything other than a pile of unwatchable tripe. Now, I'm going to go and stick 'Iron Monkey 2' in the DVD player to wash away the memory of this atrocity.:tongue:

Fair point. But I don't see how one should criticize Yen's performance because the character is acting wildly, childish, irresponsibly (or in your case "like a tw*t") when that's how the character is supposed to behave. It's more than that though, beyond the "annoying" personality of the character. It's also the constant habit of showing various emotions and monkey-like gestures to bring the character out. To me, that was Yen's biggest achievement in acting to date next to the Ip Man films and Wu Xia. Did Special ID really leave that much of a bad taste in your mouth? :xd:

The film itself was entertaining as a G-rated film and loose film adaptation of the famous novel, and I thought Yen's interpretation as Sun Wukong was way better than Jet Li's. But it's a shame that Yen seems to be in more demand for serious and action-packed roles by some long-time fans as well as average audiences. I think that's part of why his few latest films haven't been successful, hence my comment about some people criticizing Yen's acting in cast-against-type films which seems less of a problem for people watching Chan and Li's films.

One Armed Boxer
Fair point. But I don't see how one should criticize Yen's performance because the character is acting wildly, childish, irresponsibly (or in your case "like a tw*t") when that's how the character is supposed to behave.

I think you've mis-read my post here. I'm criticizing Yen's choice of role, not his performance in them.

But it's a shame that Yen seems to be in more demand for serious and action-packed roles by some long-time fans as well as average audiences. I think that's part of why his few latest films haven't been successful, hence my comment about some people criticizing Yen's acting in cast-against-type films which seems less of a problem for people watching Chan and Li's films.

This is true to a degree, but I think it has much more to do with the fact that audiences as a whole have accepted that Chan & Li are no longer going to be taking on action roles. With Yen however there's still an expectation of him delivering some high caliber action, and this should be taken as a compliment to his skills rather than something negative.

I would love to see Yen in serious, action-packed roles so no arguing there. But I also wouldn't mind seeing more different roles and acting range from him, which he has shown since Ip Man. A famous kung fu master, a money-addicted cop, swordsmen, a freedom fighter, a redeemed murderer, a legendary monkey-like god etc. The comedy attempt wasn't bad either and worked in a few films. As much as some people haven't been impressed by Yen's output lately, he ain't one to stick to the same roles and looks to be making a return to serious roles with his upcoming projects.

Archived