The Monkey King (2014)

DiP

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Donnie Yen elaborates on the stress of filming "The Monkey King"

30 Sep – Just like Nick Cheung who does not want to beef up again for the sequel to "Unbeatable", martial arts actor and action choreographer Donnie Yen also feels the same when it comes to donning the Sun Wukong costume.

According to Singpao website, Donnie, who appeared at the unveiling ceremony of the new Hong Kong Madame Tussauds' "The Monkey King" wax figure collection, was asked to confirm is he really would not reprise his role as he previously stated, due to the pressure of portraying the character and donning the costume.

The 50-year-old actor, whose Sun Wukong wax figure became the first figure to be hung in the air, elaborated, "Filming "The Monkey King" brought about certain pressure for me. I had to carry a different kind of responsibility for the role, which is to meet expectations, because Sun Wukong is an iconic character. If I do it wrong, I'll be criticised for the rest of my life."

Donnie had to endure five-hour makeup sessions every time he put on the costume, and an hour just to remove it.

"That's too much for me. I sat in the make-up room until my back was stiff. Sometimes I had to wear a mouth guard, which gave me trouble eating. I had to do that for almost four months."

He added, "This film tortured my body to its limits. Now that I am getting much older, I won't make more films like this. It's too hard."

Source: http://sg.news.yahoo.com/donnie-yen-elaborates-stress-filming-monkey-king-083700249.html

Even tho I am not particularly excited about this film, I will see it, and I hope they don't leave the story opened for a sequal that won't ever come.

so Donnie has completed 4 movies that have not been seen yet, the man puts in work.

5 counting the Iceman sequel. It was originally intended to be a movie but they pulled a Kill Bill splitting it into two movies.

Their is another new trailer on Donnie's Facebook. On my cell phone I can't copy it and paste it to this site. But it's basically an "action" trailer with a few fights.. And it looks AWESOME!! I know most of you guys are not expecting much from this movie.. But I'm pumped. I love the monkey king story. I'm not going into this movie expecting a martial arts epic, jut a really good movie with a quality story and a few fun fights thrown in. Can someone post that trailer for me

From the looks of the new trailer, the CGI has been refined a bit which is good. The glimpses of Donnie's action choreography there were real eye-openers though. Overall, I'm interested now.

Secret Executioner

These new trailers look really impressive. I guess I'll check it out whenever I get a chance. :bigsmile:

Thanks for posting that! The trailer does look epic IMO! This might shock a few people and end up being a realllllly good movie

All CGI which suits the film i guess but to me it looks like im watching a video game as opposed to a movie, all too common in modern films unfortunately.

Secret Executioner
New trailer. This should be alot of fun and CGI looks a bit better now.

QKmDBzTxunY

Love it. It looks very nice and it's also pretty impressive.

Archived