The Monkey King (2014)

DiP

3D Monkey King Set for Production This October

-- Monkey King: Wreaking Havoc in Heavenly Palace --

Filmko's 3D live action 《大闹天宫》 Monkey King will be shot on IMAX and directed by Cheang Pou Soi, while Jet Li and Donnie Yen are being eyed for the title role Sun Wu Kong. The production is now scouting location for Mountain of Fruits and Flowers, Water Curtain Cave, etc and has finished blueprints for the sets of three fantasy realms Inferno Mountain, Heavenly Palace, Dragon Palace, and will soon be building the sets. The film, written by Edmond Wong, is budgeted at 250m yuan and scheduled for production in October 2010.

http://www.wu-jing.org/happenings/archives/805-3D-Monkey-King-Set-for-Production-This-October.html

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mark Pollard

I wish they would pick a newcomer to star rather than go with Li or Yen. Yen would be wrong for the role and Li already did the Monkey King in THE FORBIDDEN KINGDOM. Yueh Hua was an unknown when he starred in THE MONKEY GOES WEST and delivered a terrific performance.

Of course, at approximately US$37 million, the producers are not going to want to bank on an unknown star.

Donnie looks ridiculous in that poster!

I'll keep an open mind, but I guess they could have gotten someone else like Wu Jing instead.

I don't have much affinity for the 3D version, but a large scale interpretation of the Monkey King will be worth seeing.

Donnie Yen overload.. arghhh.. The dude's either going to burn out or audiences are going to be burned out watching him!

Donnie Yen overload.. arghhh.. The dude's either going to burn out or audiences are going to be burned out watching him!

I agree. Although, Donnie's my favorite I think hes doing too much and trying too hard to be diverse. When in doubt, expect the worst but hope for the best.

Donnie Yen to Transform Himself into The Monkey King

-- The Monkey King --

With the box office success of Donnie Yen's films in the past 2 years, such as the most recent Ip Man 2 which has just passed the 200m yuan mark in China, not only Donnie Yen, who is currently filming The Lost Bladesman (Guan Yun Chang) and just finished a fight scene with Andy On, is highly sought after by filmmakers and investors alike, but he's also getting a big, fat pay cheque.

Filmko CEO Alex Wong announces that Donnie Yen would be playing the eponymous character Sun Wu Kong in The Monkey King, budgeted at 300m yuan and shot in 3D IMAX. Alex Wong, who would not reveal the actual pay Donnie Yen is getting, says, "Donnie Yen is certainly worthy of the salary of 20m yuan that he commands, he is such a huge box office draw."

This has been confirmed by Donnie Yen's manager, "The role of the Monkey King is a big challenge to Donnie Yen, and something worth trying out, and Donnie Yen is very confident in handling the role well."

Presently only Monkey King Sun Wu Kong is confirmed. 12 other main characters remain to be filled up, including Bull Demon King, Princess Iron Fan, Jade Emperor, Ancient Ancestor Bodhi, Erlang Shen, Nezha, etc. Apparently, Chow Yun Fatt and Louis Koo would also be onboard.

Building the fantasy sets is a costly affair, with around 50m yuan being allocated. The Water Curtain Cave and Mountain of Fruits & Flowers will be shot on location in Zhang Jia Jie, Hunan. Production begins in November, with a proposed release in Feb 2012. Following that, Donnie Yen would be teaming up with Tony Jaa in a co-production with Thailand in 2011.

http://www.wu-jing.org/happenings/archives/825-Donnie-Yen-to-Transform-Himself-into-The-Monkey-King.html

The following supporting cast have been confirmed

Chow Yun-Fat as the Jade Emperor

Aaron Kwok as the Ox King

Peter Ho

Chen Qiao En

Here's concept art of Kwok's Ox King character

MonkeyKingPromo.jpg

Source: Twitch

ShaOW!linDude

This sounds interesting enough but I'm more intrigued by the mention of a possible team-up of Yen and Jaa in 2011.

I don't think that is going to happen yet as Jaa is currently in semi-retirement while he is working on becoming a Buddhist monk.

However, I did get word that the title of the new Monkey King movie may be HAVOC IN HEAVEN, which is named after one of the popular chapters in Journey to the West.

lol looks abit silly,but I'll check it out when I got one of those lazy afternoons.

plus that Ox King concept looks SO much like War from the game 'Darksiders' lol,just edited abit.

Monkey King gets 3-D IMAX treatment

Production News

Production gets under way in two weeks on Monkey King (大鬧天宮), a stereoscopic 3-D fantasy action film that is set to be one of the biggest ever Chinese-language pictures. It will also be filmed in IMAX.

Filming starts on 15 Nov at four studios around Beijing with Dog Bite Dog (狗咬狗) and Accident (意外) director Soi Cheang (鄭保瑞) at the helm and Ah Gan (阿甘, aka Kiefer Liu, Two Stupid Eggs 兩個傻瓜的荒唐事) as producer.

The story is based on The Journey To The West, one of the best known pieces of Chinese mythology, and one of the few widely known outside of Asia.

Featuring humans, gods and demons, the screenplay by Edmond Wong (黄子桓, Dragon Tiger Gate 龍虎門, Ip Man 葉問) has plenty of room for dozens of characters.

The stellar cast is topped by the region's hottest martial arts star Donnie Yen (甄子丹) alongside Aaron Kwok (郭富城), Chow Yun-fat (周潤發) and Peter Ho (何潤東, pictured). Female leads include Faye Wong (王菲), Cecilia Cheung (張柏芝), Kelly Chen (陳慧琳) and Gigi Leung (梁詠琪).

The budget is pegged at $30-40 million with $10 million on casting and a further $5 million on special effects.

Two thirds of the funding to date has come from Hong Kong's Filmko (星皓娛樂有限公司) with the balance from Ip Man producer Mandarin Films (東方電影出品有限公司). A Chinese partner is also to be brought on board.

The film leans heavily on a Hollywood technical team that includes David Ebner (Alice in Wonderland, Spider Man 3) as VFX consultant, Shaun Smith (300, I Am Legend, The Forbidden Kingdom) as special makeup supervisor, Reuben Langdon as CGI supervisor, Daniel Symmes as cinematographer. China's Daniel Fu heads the art department and Yen will act as action choreographer.

The film will be produced as a full stereoscopic 3-D and IMAX production, making it only the second Chinese-language film after record breaker Aftershock (唐山大地震) to be made for the giant screen format.

Filmko recently became one of the first Chinese companies to complete a 3-D movie when it delivered Don Quixote (唐吉可德), an $11 million action adventure. The film was directed by Monkey King's producer Ah Gan. It was released last week in mainland Chinese cinemas.

Monkey King is set for delivery in July 2012 and Filmko has its eyes on a RMB500 million ($88 million) box office target in China.

Additional male cast includes Eddie Cheung (張兆輝) and Hai Yitian (海一天). Additional female cast includes Monica Mok (莫小奇) and Joe Chen (陳喬恩).

http://www.filmbiz.asia/news/monkey-king-gets-3-d-imax-treatment

Does anyone know if this is actually filming in IMAX 3D? As far as I can tell AFTERSHOCK was filmed in Super 35 which was blown up to IMAX. Christopher Nolan has said that a major reason that only parts of THE DARK KNIGHT were actually filmed in IMAX was because the cameras were so noisy that he couldn't record sound on the set. He was shooting 2D IMAX - 3D IMAX has two rolls of film running at the same time so it's even more noisy. Plus, the camera's big - so forget shooting handheld, period. I mean, look at this freaking behemoth:

2wd3x3t.jpg

However, for a Chinese production like MONKEY KING, the ability to record sync-sound may not even be a concern.

New cast members reported to join the production include

- Cecilia Cheung as Nuwa

- Gigi Leung as Chang'E

- Kelly Chen as Guan Yin

- Fan Siu Wong as Ju Ling Shen

- Liu Hua as Dragon King of the East Sea

- Hai Yitian as Subhuti/Puti

- Li Jing as Green Fur Monkey

- Eddie Cheung as Pagoda-Bearing Heavenly King Li Jing

- Calvin Cheng as Nezha

- Law Chung Him as Muzha

Kelly Cheng as Guan Yin

20101101223256138169.jpg

Heaven design concept

20101101223257218037.jpg

20101101223257408904.jpg

http://ent.xinmin.cn/2010/11/01/7470605.html

Christopher Nolan has said that a major reason that only parts of THE DARK KNIGHT were actually filmed in IMAX was because the cameras were so noisy that he couldn't record sound on the set.

Pfffft, who needs to record sound on set?

Archived