Favorite Fight Settings

kungfusamurai

Favorite Fight Settings  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Fight Settings

• Open field
    • Teahouse
    • Outdoor urban areas (eg. markets, streets with vehicles)
    • Any indoor place other than a teahouse
    • Perched precariously on a high place

kungfusamurai

I was watching one of my karate flicks and as soon as a fight scene took place at the edge of a cliff, I was thinking 'man, this is gonna suck'. I didn't realize it until then that I really hate fight scenes set at the edge of cliffs or high places where fights end with someone turning into a mannequin as they fall to their death.

On the flip side, I really like fights that take place in open fields because the fighters really open up with their punches, kicks, flips, etc... When fights take place on the edge of cliffs, the fighters either fail to deliver awesome moves, or it can turn into absurdity.

Here's a poll, and you can vote more than once, but please limit it to two most favorite.

I just chose a random number of choices 5. There are probably a lot more specific places, but I kept it to the top ones that pop up.

KFS

• Like 1

I'm kinda partial to the indoor setting, especially in a elaborate setting, Chinese movies always have the main hall, sometimes with an open courtyard, Japanese movies have the Dojos, and of course the fights in the brothels are always entertaining:xd:

• Like 1

Yang Wu Liang

Voted for Teahouse as it's my second favourite (plenty of props to smash up)... You forgot to include my No.1 favourite though- the bamboo forest!

• Like 1

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

I love a good teahouse fight! The idea that a place to relax, refresh, and have a nice, civil cup of tea can turn into an arene of death if the right characters are involved, is both very cinematic and extremely cool. It's got a lot of stuff to smash- demonstrating the fighters powers, multi-levels, stairs, and lots of space, and having a crowd to react to the action can intensify the scenes too.

Some of my favorites (though there are many more that I love that won't get mentioned) are:

WARRIORS TWO- Beardy gets setup.

VENGEANCE- Don't mess with Ti Lung's girl!

TIGER KILLER- Er... same as above! :wink:

CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON- Cute young Zhang Zi Yi tears the place and it's inhabitants apart.

FEARLESS- One of my favorite Jet Li fights- brutal!

COME DRINK WITH ME- IMO, basically the template for this kind of scene.

DRUNKEN MASTER 2- JC and LKL vs the Axe Gang. Awesome!

So the teahouse got my vote. But as many Sonny Chiba films end with a cliffside battle, I kinda dig those too. Actually, I sort of enjoy seeing those dummies falling. LOL :xd:

• Like 3

prinnysquad

Open field got my vote - it sets the action up nicely, like an arena. Some of the backdrops add to the epic quality of the fights.

But teahouse is not far behind! The end of Knockabout :tongue:

• Like 2

kungfusamurai
The Underwater Fight in Deadly Silver Spear was pretty far out. No?

Darn, I forgot to include the 'Other' option. Oh well. :)

KFS

• Like 2

This is a tricky one! :wink:

So many cool fights, set in so many different places!!!

All I can do is choose my some of my many fav's from the five choices above.

Young Master - Open field - Jackie Chan vs Whang Ing-Sik.

DM2 - (as previously fav'd by BOB) - Teahouse - JC and LKL. Quite simply amazing.

Ong Bak - Outdoor urban areas - Tony Jaa does some quite simply amazing stuff.

Armour of God - Any indoor open place - Jackie vs Monks and....errrrr....'ladies' in caves!

Iron Monkey - Perched precariously on a high place - Yen and Rongguang vs 'King Kong Palm' on poles!!

• Like 2

Duel To The Death end fight on the cliff with the raging seas splashing against the rocks, and the two swordsmen battling in mid-air, above the rocks and water... Then the end with severed limbs, extremities, and lacerations! ... and the Soundtrack! :bigsmile:

Great stuff.

• Like 2

Chu Liu Hsiang

Great topic, just what I was looking for!

Watching MOON WARRIORS earlier I was reminded of how much I like fights in bamboo forests - bonus points when bamboo is used in the fight. As favorite fight setting, it's a tie with teahouses - bonus points for chopstick fights in teahouses. 

• Like 3

I’d have to choose tea house because of the amount of shapes movies that had one.I always thought for a modern setting you cant go wrong with a building/construction site.

• Like 5

Iron Head Rat

Master Kam ( Young Master) jail break scence in the open countryside I love, but I voted for Teahouse. Warriors Two!! Beardy getting ambushed in the Teahouse is just an AMAZING fight scene. Superb!!

• Like 5

I think that I love all settings, but with a very slight preference for the open field (I agree with @kungfusamurai regarding the fights in open fields) and the tea house and indoor settings.

Actually, it depends on the genre of the movie, I guess...

I LOVE ALL !! Why do you ask such difficult questions ??!!:bs_laughing:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Chu Liu Hsiang

The best setting is a bore w/o a proper fight :D 

Ancient temple ruins make great settings too, and there seems to be an endless supply of them. What I do not like at all is when the fight happens close to water and you just know they will end up (in) there, most probably trying to drown each other which is never a nice sight. 

• Like 6

That depends on the martial artist.  If the actors are ones like the Venom Mob or The Seven Little Fortunes, I prefer a tea house where the acrobatic skills can be well utilized.  If the scene involves those like Chen Kuan Tai or Lau Kar Fai, I enjoy an open field.

• Like 5

ShaOW!linDude

I went with outdoor urban areas, but I also wanted to vote for indoor places other than teahouses. I just like a setting that allows for crashes and falls into things. I find it often heightens the impact. I enjoy seeing folks smashing into furniture, doors, windows, vehicles, etc. Good stuff.

• Like 5

The kitchen fight between Jet Li and Ngai Sing (Collin Chou) in Bodyguard from Beijing was pretty memorable...especially the one for the water faucet.

Just thinking about it, Jet Li got to work with some pretty good looking actresses...Rosamund Kwan in Once Upon A Time in China; Michelle Lee in Fong Sai Yuk; Michelle Yeoh in Tai Chi Master; Christy Cheung in Bodyguard from Beijing; Nakayama Shinobu in Fist of Legend.  Lucky guy.

• Like 4

Chu Liu Hsiang

After watching some bashers including fight scenes there, I found that the port of Hong Kong is a great temporary setting. 

• Like 3

Cognoscente

I've never seen a Kung Fu movie where two people fought inside a long chimney. They could slide down as they do Wing Chun trappings which enable them to temporarily stay in place.

• Like 3