So, tomorrow's the day... Funimation...

OldPangYau

By the way, I just noticed that Funimation included a "Hong Kong Connection Hit List" checklist for the Shaw Brothers films in the case. If it's anything to go by, this may be the order of releases:

1. 14 Amazons

2. Shaolin Hand Lock

3. Opium and the Kung Fu Master

4. Hong Kong Godfather

5. Invincible Shaolin

6. Life Gamble

7. Shaolin Prince

8. The Duel

9. Shaolin Rescuers

10. Soul of the Sword

11. Bastard Swordsman

12. Return of Bastard Swordsman

14. The Supreme Swordsman

15. The Sword of Swords

16. The Lady Hermit

Two a month maybe? We have 14A and SHL this month and OATKFM and HKG next month. Guess we'll see if Invincible Shaolin and Life Gamble show up in May.

Wasn't Life Gamble released without the eng dub? Will that be in the re-release?

Looking forward to Shaolin Rescuers for sure!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sounds odd...perhaps its progressive PAL-NTSC?

Not promising...

You know maybe it's not perfect, but after watching my Mandarin cut VHS sourced version of Hong Kong Godfather, honestly I'm happy just to be getting it remastered, since for the longest time it seemed like we were going to be stuck with a VHS copy. I'd like for the subtitles to honestly follow the theatrical print and not even been re-translated, besides some small grammar cleanup. I really don't expect Funimation to do anything with the subs. I'm telling you I get a feeling this is minimum investment release. If HKG's subs really stink, I'll just rip the sub file and fill in the theatrical subs (and anyone else here is welcome to them). I'm making a new post about that.

I wonder if the theatrical subs are translated from the mandarin or the cantonese? I've watched the end fight, but held off from watching the film proper in anticipation of a dvd release. Is the basic plot any good?

I wonder if the theatrical subs are translated from the mandarin or the cantonese? I've watched the end fight, but held off from watching the film proper in anticipation of a dvd release.

Me too! Like Gfanikf, I didn't recognise it at first in the promo.

The Running Man
It’s not so much how you asked, it’s the fact that you asked three times before I even got off work so I could go home and check the subs for you. Anyway, here are the subs and dubs:

I only asked you twice. The reason I asked the second time was because gfanikf replied to the comment I was asking you.

Thanks again. :smile2:

Wasn't Life Gamble released without the eng dub? Will that be in the re-release?

Looking forward to Shaolin Rescuers for sure!

Yeah, I checked out BCI's Life Gamble through Netflix, and it was indeed lacking an English dub. Not sure why, as I see clips on YouTube with a (rough quality) English dub. Wonder if HKG will have one or not.

I wonder if the theatrical subs are translated from the mandarin or the cantonese? I've watched the end fight, but held off from watching the film proper in anticipation of a dvd release. Is the basic plot any good?

The basic plot is fairly standard, but it's well acted and the action helps elevate it beyond a standard triad film. I'm not sure what the subtitles would be based off of.

I'm trying to watch the cut version in full first so I can be more excited about the uncut DVD :tongue:

Morgoth Bauglir

Just got Hand Lock. Very disappointed. I never noticed the blending frames thing on the Image DVDs except when I paused it, but only 2 minutes into Hand Lock and I can see the blur quite clearly during the fights. Man I hope HK Godfather doesn't look like this.

Just got Hand Lock. Very disappointed. I never noticed the blending frames thing on the Image DVDs except when I paused it, but only 2 minutes into Hand Lock and I can see the blur quite clearly during the fights. Man I hope HK Godfather doesn't look like this.

Thanks mate.

They were bloody warned and look what happened...

Killer Meteor

Good grief, if you can see it, and you didn't see it on the Images, it must be bad!

Oh well, I'll just custom my Australian DVD of Handlock to be anamorphic - its progressive PAL.

Morgoth Bauglir

Yep, right from the start of the movie where Chiang comes up into the frame, you get the blur.

I'm trying to watch the cut version in full first so I can be more excited about the uncut DVD :tongue:

That works well. :) Also is the transition from shit print to remastered is awesome.

Like I mentioned above, if the SB Funimation promo is anything to go by, Hong Kong Godfather looks to be in the clear. After all, the other three titles seem to show exactly what you get. We know SHL and 14A are PAL-to-NTSC, OATKFM should be the same transfer as BCI (which was progressive NTSC), and the clips of those three matched their transfers... so there's a very good chance it'll be proper NTSC. Fingers crossed!

That works well. :) Also is the transition from shit print to remastered is awesome.

Very true. However, I'll admit, I'm trying to find a download of the cut Taiwanese VHSrip. Now, I feel this is justified for two reasons:

1. I refuse to give any money to PanMedia for their DVD of it

2. I want to watch the cut version to be more "pumped" to buy the official Funimation DVD next month.

But damn if I can't find a proper download anywhere. I usually don't do this, but this is a unique situation.

Killer Meteor
I'm gutted that they screwed up The 14 Amazons... Looks like I'm stuck with my IVL. :(

There was a French DVD I think. I know it has no English subs but if you pick em up in trade they make an OK DVD-R job.

People need to step their game up & graduate to 35mm! DVD is okay, but it's an economy format. The true connoisseur understands that DVD is a means to an end & comparing them is like comparing dog terds.

35mm.

Step your game up.

People need to step their game up & graduate to 35mm! DVD is okay, but it's an economy format. The true connoisseur understands that DVD is a means to an end & comparing them is like comparing dog terds.

35mm.

Step your game up.

That's the Tarantino way of collecting movies :tongue:

Guest Markgway

It's sad that a classic like The 14 Amazons isn't available uncut and in best quality.

It all stems back to Celestial. Frame cutting PAL mastering arses!!

That's the Tarantino way of collecting movies :tongue:

I was about to say that. He used to bring parts of his collection to town and have film fests. Its kind of expensive when he does, I did go see his copy of King of Beggars, and I know he brought Eastern Condors once. I'm sure he's got a few Shaw's in there somewhere.

Killer Meteor
Did I miss a post or two? Mark, why is The 14 Amazons screwed up?

Still the cut version

Seems to be a PAL-NTSC transfer

Guest Markgway

Yeah, what KM said...

Original mono might be the only reason to pick this up. But frankly I would only trade as it's really not worth the money to me.

Archived