So, tomorrow's the day... Funimation...

OldPangYau

The first two releases: 14 Amazons (which seems to be getting quite a bit of attention) and Shaolin Hand Lock. Now, seeing how BCI handled the A/V of Life Gamble and Opium/Kung Fu Master (progressive 24p video and mono tracks), I can only hope that Funimation picks up where they left off.

All this being said, whoever gets either of these movies tomorrow, post a quick review! Hell, I may buy one or both tomorrow myself! Basically I just want to see if they're in proper 24p like the Media Blasters releases and Dragon Dynasty's Shaws (so far).

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Morgoth Bauglir

I've never seen either of these movies, but I could really care less about these 2 releases. I'm too excited for Hong Kong Godfather. I want to see some hate on my TV screen. HATE HATE HATE HATE!!!!!!!!

Yes, I'm more excited for HKG than these two. However, I will pick them up if they're handled correctly.

That's the thing, I'm not "super excited" myself about them. I'm just curious to see how they turn out, as they'll be templates for how their future releases, including Hong Kong Godfather, will turn out.

Then again, considering how rare HKG is (especially uncut and Cantonese), I think many will buy at least that release regardless.

You could be right about HKG, I've not watched the cut version but I know it's something I'll be interested to see.

I wonder if Funimation could get the rights for more titles if these sell well enough.

I wonder if Funimation could get the rights for more titles if these sell well enough.

Let's just hope they get the first batch right. Somebody alert us tomorrow :tongue:

Morgoth Bauglir

I don't have any money for it right now, but i'll be buying Handlock ASAP, just to help sales so that HKG gets released. I've knocked on wood so many hundreds of times over the last couple months. Hold on let me do it again right now. It better get released this time!!

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Shaolin Handlock's alright. I picked it up years ago on Ocean Shores VHS, I believe it was, anywhow. I'm gonna pick it up too, actually. It's modern day setting. David Chiang does some motorcycle ridin. Thinking back, I'm looking forward to seeing it again.

Guest Markgway

The 14 Amazons and Shaolin Hand Lock are both better films than Hong Kong Godfather.

If the word on the BDs is positive I'll pick them up.

Killer Meteor

Shaolin Hand Lock is pretty rubbish really, but I don't mind upgrading from my Siren DVD IF this is anamorphic, proper NTSC, Mandarin and English mono etc etc

I just now recieved my 14 Amazons DVD from Amazon. I had it delivered to my work but I have an old crappy computer with only a CDROM (cheap basterds). Therefore I can not comment on the video or audio quality untill tonight:tinysmile_angry2_t:.

However, I can tell you that it lists the DVD as 117 minutes, NTSC (region 1), 16:9. The audio is Mandarin Mono, and English stereo (I was really hoping for an old school english dud:cry:). It also has english subs of course.

The DVD case isn't quite as cool as the BCI releases. The case is transparent and the inside of the insert has a purple pattern. This is pretty boring compared to BCI's reversible slip with its very old school look on its inside.

Killer Meteor
I just now recieved my 14 Amazons DVD from Amazon. I had it delivered to my work but I have an old crappy computer with only a CDROM (cheap basterds). Therefore I can not comment on the video or adio quality untill tonight:tinysmile_angry2_t:.

However, I can tell you that it lists the DVD as 117 minutes, NTSC (region 1), 16:9. The audio is Mandarin Mono, and English stereo (I was really hoping for an old school english dud:cry:). It also has english subs of course.

The DVD case isn't quite as cool as the BCI releases. The case is transparent and the inside of the insert is has a purple pattern. This is pretty boring compared to BCI's reversible slip with its very old school look on its inside.

117min? Uh oh, sounds like PAL speedup :( :(

(cheap basterds).

I second that:tinysmile_angry2_t:!

:bigsmile:

However, I can tell you that it lists the DVD as 117 minutes, NTSC (region 1), 16:9. The audio is Mandarin Mono, and English stereo (I was really hoping an old school english dud:cry:). It also has english subs of course.

It's looking fairly positive so far.

It's odd they list one stereo track and the other mono, unless it's a 5.1 downmix to stereo - Funimation thinking fans don't like 5.1, but misinterpreted that they like some form of 2.0 regardless. OR, both are mono, but 1) it's marketed to make the higher sound set-up more appealing, or 2) they changed their minds about one of them and neglected to have them match.

We'll soon see about everything. At least they're not looking like 5.1 - it could still be the old English dub (I gather it's a "lost" one)?

The DVD case isn't quite as cool as the BCI releases. The case is transparent and the inside of the insert is has a purple pattern. This is pretty boring compared to BCI's reversible slip with its very old school look on its inside.

Yeah, the artwork and trailers were something I didn't like. Although BCI's were better, the border thing was rather clichéd. Although their DVDs are bad, I've liked Image's artwork:wink:.

We look forward to your comments!

117min? Uh oh, sounds like PAL speedup :( :(

To be positive, they could be basing that on a listing somewhere, irrespective of the speed.

Killer Meteor

The old English dub should exist. when clips from the film appear on Celestial documentaries, they used the old dub.

The 14 Amazons and Shaolin Hand Lock are both better films than Hong Kong Godfather.

If the word on the BDs is positive I'll pick them up.

Yeah, I seriously doubt that.

Regarding the times, it may be that they are going on old information. When they gave me a running time for HKG it was something like 120 minutes...which is has to be an error, so I would say wrong running times is something outside the realm of possibility.

Okay, so I just got back from lunch after trying out the DVD on my Oppo 980.

The running time listed on the case is correct at 117 min (actually 117min and 36 or 37sec, sorry can’t remember exactly).

As far as the audio goes, both tracks sound great with the original language in mono and the English in stereo. I really think the English track is an old dub. I watched the first five minutes or so and I heard very little stereo effect, however the sound was going through the TV and not my receiver, so I could be wrong. The first few minutes of the film is a prologue and is narrated by a guy with an English accent. When the story begins, the characters dubbed English voices sound familiar to other old dubbed shaw movies I’ve watched in the past. Again, this is just my memory and I could be wrong.

None the less, I believe both tracks are completely watchable.

The video quality looks very good. I didn’t watch but like five minutes, but what I did see looked comparable to the two BCI releases. But I wouldn’t say that it is as good as the 36th Chamber released by Dragon Dynasty.

I’m sorry OldPangYau, I thought I could see if it was 24p or not on my Oppo but I couldn’t, all I could see were the bit rates.

Hope this helps.

Okay, so I just got back from lunch after trying out the DVD on my Oppo 980.

The running time listed on the case is correct at 117 min (actually 117min and 36 or 37sec, sorry can’t remember exactly).

As far as the audio goes, both tracks sound great with the original language in mono and the English in stereo. I really think the English track is an old dub. I watched the first five minutes or so and I heard very little stereo effect, however the sound was going through the TV and not my receiver, so I could be wrong. The first few minutes of the film is a prologue and is narrated by a guy with an English accent. When the story begins, the characters dubbed English voices sound familiar to other old dubbed shaw movies I’ve watched in the past. Again, this is just my memory and I could be wrong.

None the less, I believe both tracks are completely watchable.

The video quality looks very good. I didn’t watch but like five minutes, but what I did see looked comparable to the two BCI releases. But I wouldn’t say that it is as good as the 36th Chamber released by Dragon Dynasty.

I’m sorry OldPangYau, I thought I could see if it was 24p or not on my Oppo but I couldn’t, all I could see were the bit rates.

Hope this helps.

That sounds pretty good though, thanks! Even if it is PAL to NTSC, as long as it's done properly there shouldn't be anything to worry about.

Shaolin Patriot

I take it that there were no special features on the disc. How about original trailer?

Sorry, I forgot to mention, there are no special features. The menus are unanimated and a bit boring. There are about 10 or so trailers, but none of these trailers are for their current or near future Shaw Brother releases. The trailers include the likes of "Ichi" and "Love and Honor".

Edit: They do show their generic Funimation/Shaw Brothers trailer that has small clips of their first four Shaw releases. This advertisement is shown before you get to the main menu.

Killer Meteor
That sounds pretty good though, thanks! Even if it is PAL to NTSC, as long as it's done properly there shouldn't be anything to worry about.

PAL to NTSC is a problem, it means locked in ghosting and a poor picture

The Running Man

Pai Mei,

Please write up samples from the subtitles. This is extremely important factor . We want to know if Funimation has retranslated the subs or kept the bad Celestial subtitles.

This would be most appreciated.

Guest Markgway

Fuck. 117m is definitely PAL to NTSC and it's the same old cut version. :(

Is there a release date for the Blu Ray?

I have to say that no extras is really shit.

To tell if it's PAL>NTSC (or interlaced at least), skip a second's worth of frames on a scene with movement to check for blending.

The mono sound however, is promising.

Is this going to be another Image Entertainment?

PAL to NTSC is a problem, it means locked in ghosting and a poor picture

Not if the transfer is done well.

Pai Mei,

Please write up samples from the subtitles. This is extremely important factor . We want to know if Funimation has retranslated the subs or kept the bad Celestial subtitles.

Not as long as it has the dub. :) The best test will be with Hong Kong Godfather since that one can be compared against the theatrical subs (which are quite excellent).

I have to say that no extras is really shit.

It's annoying since I contacted them and told them that extras were done for these movies and gave them all the contact info needed. I know HKG had at least an interview done for it.

UPDATE!!!!

I just got back off the phone with Funimation. I'm going to try and get them the information for whatever other films may have had extras for them. No other titles have been locked in yet.

Archived