With "Rarescope" no more, what happens to "Showdown at the Cottonmill"?

Fang Shih-yu

The redo does look much better. I wonder though, if the subs would have been better, if a block was put

over the original subs, with the new ones inside, so the old ones would not bee seen at all.

No. I made two sets of subtitles and they cover the original subs entirely whether in fullscreen or wide. I have never seen someone

use black bars to cover burned in subtitles, but, it seems just as detracting as using burned in subtitles. Besides, today we could

just make the outline of the subtitles 8 times as thick as the subtitles.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fang Shih-yu

Daigoro has managed to improve upon "Cottonmill" to the best of his abilities!:smile: I'm watching it as I type! The playback is now 2.35:1.... The color is better than it was.... I've no problems with the new subtitles. There are two options with these; either they can go directly over the original ones OR just above them. I prefer OVER them, myself.... Audio boost is just right.... Overall, for what can be considered a "blow-up" of the original Rarescope DVD...PLUS, this is well done! Bear in mind that because it IS a "blow-up", the bigger a screen you watch this on, the more you can notice it. As I said, Daigoro managed well with the ONLY source available to him, so keep that in mind as you watch it!... Anybody who decides to give this movie a REAL remastering in the future should consult Daigoro's handiwork as a blueprint for improvements!:bigsmile:

wizard12220

Any chance to get it in Indonesia, Daigoro? Really interesting project, and it seems that you really know what have to be done for the restoration.

The encoding of the video on the Rarescope disc was surprisingly low. The print was awful and the transfer to disc was also awful,

im sure that the original DVD-9 transfer they have is probably twice as refined as what was released. I would prefer too work on a

DVD-9. If you have suggestions for future projects let me know by PM or e-mail jagyouare@gmail.com. I like to do this as my

hobby, i have completed many works. Most people do not know about my work but since there seems to be a demand for it then i

will thread some of my other projects. You can check my latest work on COWEB here. Thanks Haz, It's Gulim font, 20 bold, O6.

I would love to see a list of your completed projects so far Daigoro.

As i said earlier, IMO there should be an entire forum (or a subforum here) dedicated to fan based projects. A place were people can show other people what they have done, people can ask for help with their own projects, etc. etc.

In regards to suggestions for other projects for you Daigoro, i believe that rarescopes Choi Lee Fat was released in a similar state as Showdown at the Cottonmill?? However, i have not seen this version, so i can't say for sure. I've seen another version of the movie though, so i can say that the movie definitely deserves a good presentation.

Fang Shih-yu

Please be sure to go back to post #80 for an update on my mini-review of Daigoro's NEW "Cottonmill"!:bigsmile: As for Brother Knockabout's suggestion about fan projects, it's a good one. If the only way to preserve certain obscure or forgotten martial arts films is by the efforts of anybody from these forums (and beyond, to put it into perspective), let's acknowledge their work, and, whenever the need arises, maybe even help to FUND the work being done on them! Rarescope might be the "last gasp" of a MAJOR company to deal with ultra-rare "kung fu flicks", people; so, it's time for all talented individuals (of which Daigoro is one of MANY) to continue where Rarescope left off!:angel: Amen.

I hope the tree thing happens. Sign me up.

It would be great to Massacre Survivor get Daigoro's subbing treatment!

I'm responsible for getting this NEW edition of Showdown at the Cotton Mill out to others, i would rather have it done relatively quick

and painless as opposed to it's current state of limited availability. I also do not think i have time to keep up with names, who has or

has not received a copy or even complaints. Not saying that people would complain to me however, it would take forever for some to

receive it who also want it. I have decided to upload it, and that link can be found right here. My internet speed is 30kbps max and

i will probably not be able to seed 24/7 but if you are patient you should all have a copy withing about 4-5 days. This print has many,

many faults but it's quite an improvement over the former release. Thanks to Rarescope and CO. for releasing this film on DVD.

Drunken Cat

Thanks, Daigoro! Keep us up to date on your future projects. This looks amazing compared to the Rarescope release. This is a godsend to fans of the genre. Keep up the good work!

Fang Shih-yu

Glad to hear about your upload, Daigoro! I hope everybody appreciates your handiwork!:bigsmile: Knockabout knows his "tree" copy will be along in a while, by the way.... This is such a NICER thread:khi8g:, compared to what happened in the "Massacre Survivor" one!:khi8m:

I hope Massacre survivor is on his projects list! We should get a group together to type up the subs & maybe daigoro could time them?

i'll wait for someone upload it at adc

Why? What difference does it make? Besides, ADC is currently offline.

In case anyone missed it you may now download the new Showdown at cotton mill. Links are on the previous page. It's free, i

will not ever charge anything for my work. As for next well, currently this is only a hobby of mine, i do have other projects in mind

but i should not allude to dates or time to alleviate expectancy between myself and the fans. A few films come to mind that also

deserve the special treatment. (1) I could finish Undaunted Wudang (2) I also have my eye on The Magic Legs, the film from main

-land china (if anyone has the copy with subtitles MSG me). (3) Would be Pai Yu-Ching, with Tien Peng. Wide. My preference would

be to work on that film next (4) Mini Skirt Gang, all i need are the subtitles. Some people asked for Massacre Survivor, well at

this time i am not really interested in doing Massacre Survivor as much as i thought i would be, but since i am not doing this

for myself and for the fans i could. I don't do this for praise, or thanks. All i will say is it feels good to give back to the community.

Practicing a selfless act, not thinking of ones-self so much as others is where i desire to be in life, and am headed for good...

Wow so many leechers already!

Yeah uploaded about 2 Gig yesterday.

Guess the first half should be seeded quite well.

I'll be sure to seed for a long time once the DL finishes.

Hope others do as well.

Another thanks to Daigoro for doing this.

Archived