With "Rarescope" no more, what happens to "Showdown at the Cottonmill"?

Fang Shih-yu

presicion25

I'd be more than willing to pay for copy of Cotton Mill as well. How do I get ahold of it? My Rarescope print is ok but that restored version is nice. The difference in the restored version is stunning. Very Good restorative work. :bigsmile:

I also wish Whity Hand Whitty Sword, They Call Me Chivalry and Black Eagles Blade would have been released by Rarescope.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
crazedjustice888

I regret to say that I do not have a DVD burner available to me...poor college student...so if anyone would be kind enough to make me one, I will gladly purchase a copy.

Daigoro...that is an amazing thing you are doing. You have received not only my respect, but everyone elses as a man that would easily put others before yourself. However, is there not even the slightest bit of change we could give you for such a wonderful restoration? It doesn't seem fair to get this for free...

thedirtytiger

Hey Daigoro, Please send me a copy of your Showdown and I will give it to the Rarescope boss to see. :smile:

Daigoro, if you're going to set up a tree please count me in. I'll be happy to make a copy and pass the original on to another recipient. You've done some excellent work with it. My own custom work pales in comparison.

If the tree system does get set up i would definitely like to get involved. This is very generous of you Daigoro

Fang Shih-yu

"Just keepin' the thread alive, boss!" :wink: We're all awaiting Daigoro, eh? It's like Easter all over again, except I don't mind waiting! Good day, all.... Brother Fang

I think the easiest way to distribute it would be to uplaod it somewhere with a password, so only those who know the password could get it.

Daigoro, I would love to be added to the "tree" . I would be able to get a few copies made, and sent to a few members.

Awesome work

I don't know if i thanked anyone for the feedback, but i want to say thanks. I am nobody, just a fan who also loves Kung fu

movies / Asian films like you. It's important to me we all meet somewhere, or somehow a few times a year. I apologize for

taking so long between responses. Im just up to other things. Ok, so i think i have decided how to distribute Showdown at

the Cotton mill. I would like to upload it so anyone can download it. I do not care who has it or makes money from it, it

wont be the first time it's happened! I won't ever sell any of my projects. One last note, i will not be uploading it to that

torrent site where Massacre Survivor was. If someone does it after me, then that's what they did.

I don't know if i thanked anyone for the feedback, but i want to say thanks. I am nobody, just a fan who also loves Kung fu

movies / Asian films like you. It's important to me we all meet somewhere, or somehow a few times a year. I apologize for

taking so long between responses. Im just up to other things. Ok, so i think i have decided how to distribute Showdown at

the Cotton mill. I would like to upload it so anyone can download it. I do not care who has it or makes money from it, it

wont be the first time it's happened! I won't ever sell any of my projects. One last note, i will not be uploading it to that

torrent site where Massacre Survivor was. If someone does it after me, then that's what they did.

That's good of you, Daigoro.

Yang Wu Liang

Daigoro and myself have got a small trade going on at the moment which includes SACM, if anyone from the UK wants a copy I'll be happy to do them a copy, just let me know in a week or two.

:wink:

This is true. I tell you what, at this time it would be easier for me to send out a copy because i am going to the post on

friday. I don't think i will upload it. But, if there is a demand for it i will try later so don't worry. Fang Shih-yu said he

would be willing to send a copy out to the next person, and since i promised him a copy first i am going to send to him

first. Do me a favor and send me your address asap. Yang Wu Liang will send it to at least one or two people in the U.K.

I decided to add a 2nd set of subtitles, so now it has WS and FS adaptive subtitles. It's a shot-up print, ol and still

damaged, but it is a 30% upgrade if you count the subtitles. Straight film, but i added the Rarescope intro so looks good!

This is very nice of you Daigoro. Cant say how much this is appreciated.

Wenever my turn on this shipping tree comes I am more than happy to send it to 3 people in the UK (by recorded delivery of course :wink:)

As for upload if you would like someone to do it for you and in whatever method you'd like im sure lot of us would be more than happy to help

Fang Shih-yu
:smile: I'm awake!! Read your latest, Daigoro, and I see the "tree" is on! So you're alerted, as soon as I finish with this posting, I'll give you a private message with my address. Be sure to tell me you got it by posting your reply in this thread. In addition, let me know how it's being sent and about how long delivery will take! Thanks, again! Off to send you that address....

Fang Shih-yu

Daigoro and I have talked, and it'll be a matter of time before I get my copy of "Hu Hui-Chien, Fierce Battle at Shaolin Temple"! I'll keep everyone updated as events develop on my part of the planet! :wink: More later...Brother Fang.

Fang Shih-yu

When all's said and done, I hope somebody takes a real effort to work on those jumps in "Cottonmill" someday. From a pictorial perspective, the individual frames of film found in those jumps could be transferred to a computer, and with the proper magic, the "lost" footage would be seen again. As for the sound lost in those jumps, I can only think sprocket repair. Any students of film restoration care to chime in? :bigsmile:

When all's said and done, I hope somebody takes a real effort to work on those jumps in "Cottonmill" someday. From a pictorial perspective, the individual frames of film found in those jumps could be transferred to a computer, and with the proper magic, the "lost" footage would be seen again. As for the sound lost in those jumps, I can only think sprocket repair. Any students of film restoration care to chime in? :bigsmile:

It depends on the extent of the damage. Sadly, I don't think the missing frames exist... depending on the type of projector used, you can lose frames if the projectionist is sloppy near the reel's beginning & end. The print was probably also in the advanced stages of vinegar syndrome, too. I don't think a better copy exists.

Fang Shih-yu

You do collect films, so you obviously know your stuff, HAZ! As I recall how a strip of film is laid out, sprocket damage in the area where the soundtrack is means the sound in the missing/"jump" spots can NEVER be saved on "Cottonmill", even if the picture MIGHT be...and you feel the "lost" footage can't be recovered :cry: ! Then we can only hope for another print--with NO damage--will surface; that'll be a WAIT :squigglemouth: ! Any idea how long it took before that one print was found? :ooh:

You do collect films, so you obviously know your stuff, HAZ! As I recall how a strip of film is laid out, sprocket damage in the area where the soundtrack is means the sound in the missing/"jump" spots can NEVER be saved on "Cottonmill", even if the picture MIGHT be...and you feel the "lost" footage can't be recovered :cry: ! Then we can only hope for another print--with NO damage--will surface; that'll be a WAIT :squigglemouth: ! Any idea how long it took before that one print was found? :ooh:

You can have sprocket damage & not have loss of sound; on SB print I have has some messed up sprockets, but it just needs a little tape to fix. If you have enough damage in a frame to loose the audio, then the frame would be I guess pretty much wrecked. Missing jump spots would come from a wrecked piece of footage - a bad splice could have broke in the projector & eaten some film...VS could have made it brittle. There are a lot of things that could happen. And people in the booth could have messed it up when projecting...If it was on the reels, I think it would be on the dvd. I will ask Toby for his input.

Almost forgot!... HAZ, what is "vinegar syndrome"?

Vinegar syndrome is what pretty much happens to all film made on acetate, which is pretty much everything from the 70's & the 80's. Film wasn't made to last forever. When it starts to decay, it smells like vinegar, then it shrinks, warps & breaks. Here is an article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellulose_acetate_film#Decay_and_the_.22vinegar_syndrome.22

Fang Shih-yu

Thanks for the info, HAZ! Now, I'll never eat vinegar-and-salt potato chips without thinking of decomposing film! :tongue: We are certainly lucky ANY bit of "Cottonmill" survives, period....

Fang Shih-yu

I have a copy of Daigoro's "Hu Hui-Chien, Fierce Battle at Shaolin Temple" in hand. More details as events warrant, as I am in a HEAP of busy!! I'll get to it as soon as I can stop running everywhere! Otherwise...anybody want to cut Brother Fang's grass for him?:wink: More later....

kungpowmaster

The redo does look much better. I wonder though, if the subs would have been better, if a block was put over the original subs, with the new ones inside, so the old ones would not bee seen at all.

Archived