Half a Loaf of Kung Fu

dMG

Hi guys..

Can anyone confirm that there are english subs on the Scimitar and the Sony dvd releases? Is there any difference in print quality on them? I have the UK Eastern Heroe's dvd and it is in anamorphic ws ~1.85:1, but english dub only.

Also can anyone confirm that JoySales canned a supposed dvd release of this? (I've seen screenshots that clearly had dvd quality on another forum).

Thx

See OFDB's entry.

Was intended to be Mandarin, but released in 1980 in Cantonese I believe.

I think English dubtitles are on Columbia's release. Nothing at all on Simitar's (which I'm sure renders that release useless, other than the interview which is on all DVDs of the JC range). The film hasn't received an English re-translation either.

There's a

trailer - possibly from the Eastern Heroes DVD.

The Japanese DVD is uncut (Digitally Remastered Fortune Star range), but has no English options and Cantonese remixes only. There's a trailer on it, but I wonder what language.

Contrary to Splendid's 'Digitally Remastered' claim (which it isn't anyway), their JC range is infact sourced from Fortune Star's Non-Digitally Remastered range (PAL digi-beta). They do always have genuine mono that's likely to be in better condition than the Digitally Remastered range (ironically).

There is a Joy Sales VCD containing both Cantonese and Mandarin soundtracks (with new Chinese subtitles only). What we can hope for it they release a DVD containing both (like the VCD) Cantonese and Mandarin soundtracks in mono, but a welcome bonus would be re-translated subtitles (even the English dub!) - sadly not permitted in their Digitally Remastered contract (adding to the risk of downmixes).

I used to have the UK VHS released in the mid-90s.

Thanks for the info. Hope that FS release will come out on the R3 market with added english subs.... Not in the mood to pay 30+ euros + shipping from Japan for a used copy :)

Thanks for the info. Hope that FS release will come out on the R3 market with added english subs.... Not in the mood to pay 30+ euros + shipping from Japan for a used copy :)

Absolutely.

Has there been an update to this since last year? I'm looking for the best possible release that is widescreen and has English subtitles. Doesn't have to be remastered. Never sure what info to trust out there... :squigglemouth:

Buyoyo has a dvd of Loaf from Winners Video Entertainment Ltd.

Audio: Cantonese, Mandarin

Subs: Chinese (Traditional), English

Aspect ratio is not listed. I'm guessing letterbox or fullscreen.

Worth a shot I suppose. If you keep your expectations suitably low, you might be content with it.

Buyoyo has a dvd of Loaf from Winners Video Entertainment Ltd.

Audio: Cantonese, Mandarin

Subs: Chinese (Traditional), English

Aspect ratio is not listed. I'm guessing letterbox or fullscreen.

Worth a shot I suppose. If you keep your expectations suitably low, you might be content with it.

Their DVDs are pretty much garbage (I have 'Spiritual Kung Fu' and 'Shaolin Wooden Men') - the VCDs would be better quality.

A custom edition would be the better option.

Richie Freebird

I bought a vhs tape of this from a second hand record store as a kid and loved it at the time. I still have it somewhere, haven’t watched it in years though. It was a dubbed version. Sorry this post isn’t much help.

Just wondering if there has been any update here. About to pull the trigger on the Japanese version.

Which one is the better option?

51SGDJ901ZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg or 51pAlPL0DGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Both claim to be widescreen and remastered:

Ver 1 - Ver 2

Cognoscente

The below Japanese page details the chronicles of the film's production in a way that makes Jeff Yang look bad.

https://kungfutube.info/6003

While it is true that it took a long time to be released in Hong Kong, it would appear that the release was put on hold due to lack of funds, and extra footage was filmed to cash in on the success of SITES. The telling indication is that there is at least one scene in the film where Jackie has a bruise under his right eye which is similar to what he had in Drunken Master and Dragon Fist, as noted below.

https://kungfutube.info/5189#dra-face

Also, while the official story is that it premiered in 1980, a Korean newspaper confirmed that the movie was already released in South Korea on November 11, 1978. If Lo Wei really hated the movie, he would have destroyed the footage. Anyway, the movie was then released in Taiwan on January 1979. Seriously, that Japanese webmaster is the Kung Fu movie equivalent to Abraham Zapruder.

Interestingly, HALOKF was scheduled to begin filming on July 20, 1977 - the fourth anniversary of Bruce Lee's death. Also, it was filmed right before SITES instead of Jeff Yang's timeline of HALOKF, Magnificent Bodyguards, Spiritual Kung Fu, Dragon Fist and the Seasonal duo.

• Like 3

starschwar

Interesting stuff.   Google Translate isn't cooperating with me for that site.  According to that source, what is the actual chronology of Jackie's early films?  Moreover, what is the latest point on which there is disagreement?  I'd like to think that Young Master and forward is not contested, but I've been out of the loop for a long time.

• Like 2

Cognoscente
1 hour ago, starschwar said:

Interesting stuff.   Google Translate isn't cooperating with me for that site.  According to that source, what is the actual chronology of Jackie's early films?  Moreover, what is the latest point on which there is disagreement?  I'd like to think that Young Master and forward is not contested, but I've been out of the loop for a long time.

Filming dates...

New Fist of Fury:                            March - April 1976
Shaolin Wooden Men:                      June - July 1976
The Killer Meteors:                       Sep '76 - Jan '77
Snake & Crane Arts of Shaolin:   Nov '76 - Jul '77
To Kill with Intrigue:                     Dec '76 - Mar '77
Magnificent Bodyguards:                 Jul 5 - 20 '77
Half a Loaf of Kung Fu:                Aug '77 - Apr '78
Snake in the Eagle's Shadow:      Nov '77 - Jan '78
Spiritual Kung Fu:                         Apr '78 - Jun '78
Drunken Master:                          Apr '78 - Sep '78
Dragon Fist:                                   Jul '78 - Aug '78
Fearless Hyena:                            Oct' 78 - Dec '78

• Like 6

starschwar

Fascinating, if true.  I can certainly believe Magnificent Bodyguards' fast turnaround.  3D is expensive, and time is money!

What about the new footage for Fearless Hyena 2, and its relation to the filming of Young Master?

At any rate, it looks like we have four ways of looking at things, assuming this information is indeed correct.

1This Japanese source (is there a name or alias associated with this individual?), by start of filming, as listed in your post, Cognoscente.

2.  The Japanese source, by end of filming:

1976:
New Fist of Fury
Shaolin Wooden Men
1977:
The Killer Meteors
To Kill with Intrigue
Snake and Crane Arts of Shaolin / Magnificent Bodyguards
1978:
Snake in the Eagle's Shadow
Half a Loaf of Kung Fu
Spiritual Kung Fu
Drunken Master
Dragon Fist
Fearless Hyena

3.  The "I am Jackie Chan" chronology (which I have not questioned as gospel until today, I suppose):

1976:

New Fist of Fury
Shaolin Wooden Men

1977:
The Killer Meteors
To Kill with Intrigue
1978:
Snake and Crane Arts of Shaolin
Half a Loaf of Kung Fu
Magnificent Bodyguards
Spiritual Kung Fu
Dragon Fist
Snake in the Eagle's Shadow
Drunken Master
Fearless Hyena

4. Release Date order - is there a definitive list?  Is HKMDB considered accurate?

• Like 2

Cognoscente

The person hasn't revealed their name.

HKMDB is accurate but only for HK release dates.

The Young Master and Fearless Hyena II began filming in late April '79 (TYM on April 23 and FH II on April 24). On April 26, Jackie suddenly went to Australia. After that, Wang Yu called Jackie every day to get him to return. On May 13, Jackie returned to shoot FH II. After a while, he gave up on FH II so as to focus on TYM.

https://kungfutube.info/6001

• Like 3

Killer Meteor

Killer Meteors' release date on HKMDB is August 1976, which predates those shooting dates. Do you have a more accurate release date?

• Like 2

Killer Meteor
21 hours ago, Cognoscente said:

Filming dates...

New Fist of Fury:                            March - April 1976
Shaolin Wooden Men:                      June - July 1976
The Killer Meteors:                       Sep '76 - Jan '77
Snake & Crane Arts of Shaolin:   Nov '76 - Jul '77
To Kill with Intrigue:                     Dec '76 - Mar '77
Magnificent Bodyguards:                 Jul 5 - 20 '77
Half a Loaf of Kung Fu:                Aug '77 - Apr '78
Snake in the Eagle's Shadow:      Nov '77 - Jan '78
Spiritual Kung Fu:                         Apr '78 - Jun '78
Drunken Master:                          Apr '78 - Sep '78
Dragon Fist:                                   Jul '78 - Aug '78
Fearless Hyena:                            Oct' 78 - Dec '78

thanks! This confirms my theory that Spiritual Kung Fu was made in reaction to Snake in the Eagle's Shadow.

• Like 2

Cognoscente
2 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

Killer Meteors' release date on HKMDB is August 1976, which predates those shooting dates. Do you have a more accurate release date?

All I have is the Japanese site: https://kungfutube.info/5091

The only other alternative to HKMDB that I can find is this: http://www.boxofficecn.com/hkboxoffice1976 (#7: a movie called "Meteor Butterfly Sword" screened from March to April)

Back to the Kung Fu Tuber (since they have no other displayed name), the person translated Chinese newspapers as part of his research. He divides his research into two categories - the long story and the long story made short. Here is his summary...

September 07, 1976: Wang Yu and Nora Miao will star in Sword Flower Smoke Gangnam (i.e. To Kill with Intrigue)

Mid-September 1976: Started shooting Wind and Rain Meteor Sword and Sword Flower Smoke Gangnam in Taiwan?

September 27, 1976: Lo Wei departs for location scouting in South Korea.

October 30, 1976: Lo Wei injured while shooting Killer Meteors. Suspended for 6 days.

November 11, 1976: Chenglong, shooting Wind and Rain Meteors in Taiwan.

December 12, 1976: Started shooting Kenka Smoke Gangnam.

Mid-January 1977: Lo Wei and Jackie Chan depart for location in South Korea.

Release dates...

May 12, 1977 (Korea)

December 31, 1976 (Taiwan)

August 21, 1976 - Mistake

It seems that it has not been released in Hong Kong.

Edited by Cognoscente
  • Like 3

Killer Meteor

I see the 1980 box office chart has Young Master down at no. 69 with just over a million taken. Was it really so low?

• Like 2

Cognoscente

That can't be right. I remember the UK VHS (the "Hong Kong Classics" release*) for the HK version of Dragon Lord containing a 1982 trailer that began with a peculiar introduction which implied that Dragon Lord would be the latest record breaker to come from Golden Harvest. First we see a poster of The Young Master with the year 1980 under it, and a record-breaking 11 million. Then we see a poster of Security Unlimited with the year 1981 under it, and a record-breaking 17 million.

Perhaps the one million listing of The Young Master was the opening weekend total.

* This specific version...

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 3