Conan the Barbarian: Remake

daisho2004

ron pearlman looked like a cross between a wookie and harry (bigfoot and the hendersons).

Yes he did! LMFAO

I forgot to mentioned that!

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Saw the up-to-last-night's BO takings and both Conan and (somewhat more suprisingly) Fright Night have utterly bombed, which is a real shame.

A lot of genre films are doing poorly at the moment and these two films join that ignominious list.

Conan opens in the UK this coming Wednesday and I'll be sure to see it opening night.

Glad it's getting some love on here after poor reviews - but then, when it comes to action flicks, mainstream critics are seldom on board.

So basically just listen to us for movie advice instead of critics and rottontomatoes and stuff! :xd:

ShaOW!linDude

Bet you anything that on review the studio will say "bah, we should've made it a PG-13 so more kids would get to see it".

LA times review...

"The movie itself does not attempt to replicate the Schwarzenegger version, which had less violence and a splash more cheesy humor."

Huh?! This guy obviously never watched the original Conan the Barbarian, which was packed with bloody and brutal epic violence. If he was talking about Conan the Destroyer, OK....but he's dead wrong about Barbarian.

ShaOW!linDude

I took in a matinee of this yesterday and all I can say is........

Hack And Slash!!!!!!!

(Seriously, and my wife says it's getting on her nerves.)

Momoa is Conan!

This to me was a far closer portrayal to the real character minus the "you murdered my entire village and father and now I've got to spend my entire life hunting you down to kill you out of revenge (wah wah wah blah blah blah)" motivation. Look, I love the original with Arnie (I might just watch it tonight) but really.....guys......this is the new standard. Momoa is cut but not overly bulky with muscle. His facial features are straight off a Conan book cover. He displays a natural talent and comfortableness with a sword. I was truly impressed. The choreography in his fights is great (unfortunately the editing often ruins it). As far as his acting, it's not that bad. He'll get better. I really didn't see the big deal. It's not like he was doing some overly extended dialogue that was utterly hammy. His sentences are terse and to the point and in line with the character.

The effects were great, especially the fight with the sand warriors. The sets were cool and the locations were awesome. (I'd love to hit some of these caves.) The plot.......well, it's what you'd expect. But get over it. Sure you've enjoyed better but you've dealt with a lot worse. It's plausible and that's enough. And I enjoyed the fact that the film was left as a stand alone piece of work. But I am hoping this gets a sequel.

I know this tanked pretty bad at the box office this past weekend and it's probably because Joe Public listened to the movie critics. I'm hoping that word of mouth this past week will be enough to put this film at #1 come Monday morning. If I could, I'd go see it again then just so to put more bank into it. That's how good I think it is.

ShaOW!linDude
While the original Conan movie will always be a cult classic, it's very cool to have a new R-rated barbarian movie that is not SyFy channel horrible.

Amen and pass the gravy!

This movie was #1 in the box Office who said it tanked?! The Critics? Fuck them we are the Real Critics here! It still is doing really well! BTW I'm glad you liked it!

This new Conan movie has 3 times the action/violence than the original and the storyline has been altered compared to the original.

Well...that's superb. I should get out to see this early next week.

I heard it on the radio that it top the box office opening week! Well if I heard it wrong Sorry! But still Fuck The Critics!

ShaOW!linDude

Sadly, I think you're correct.

I just don't get it. There have been waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay worse stinkers than this. Hope it at least breaks even and won't be a complete loss for the studios. They might still chance another though I doubt it.

Was I the only one who was a little disappointed with this movie? Maybe it was because of all the people on here that loved it, and it just didn't live up to my expectations.

I did like that it was "R" rated, and did not shy away from the violence you would expect and want in a Conan movie. But, the fight scenes were just more of that super-close-up-hyper-movement crap that makes it hard to tell what the hell is going on.

It's easy to brush off story and inconsistencies when watching an action movie, but this was just too full random crap that mde no sense that it was distracting, not to mention the female lead was very out of place. She looked and acted like she should be in a boarding school in the 1800's.

Jason Momoa (Conan) looked too much like Diedrich Bader on roids (the martial arts instructor from Napoleon Dynamite who taught "Rex Kwon Do"). I kept waiting for him to yell out "Take a look at what I'm wearing, people [in sunglasses and matching American flag pants and bandana]. You think anybody wants a roundhouse kick to the face while I'm wearing these bad boys?"

Not a terrible movie, but it just felt like it could have been so much more...

Archived