Conan the Barbarian: Remake

daisho2004

dionbrother

On the forums at Conan.com, some hardcore fans note that THE MUMMY had some similarities to the Howard tale "Black Colossus" which I haven't read in 20 years. Believe that's where the Dust Devil creature was taken from. I need to get crackin' on those pulp classics!

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ShaOW!linDude

I think I lost my Robert E. Howard's when the Flood of '03 wiped out the Edgar Rice Burroughs wing of my library. Suuuuux!

I don't know. I may go on a treasure hunt in my basement and see what I find. I could be wrong. They might have survived. Been so long since I happened upon them though.

Thanks for the heads-up on the trailer there, SD! :bigsmile:

I grew up with the original Marvel comics and you know, this looks pretty darn accurate to me.

I showed to the trailer to a buddy who's obsessed with Conan, and afterward he just said, "I've waited a long time for a real Conan film and I think I've finally got it!"

daisho2004

OK I just seen this trailer on the big screen today, and I'll say I'm more looking forward to it now than before, lets hope it pays off!

ShaOW!linDude
OK I just seen this trailer on the big screen today, and I'll say I'm more looking forward to it now than before, lets hope it pays off!

I don't want to say "I told you so" so I'll just say......nyah, nyah, nyah, boo, boo!:tongue:

And, yeah, let's definitely hope it pays off.

I never really liked the orignal Conan movies, but this one looks like it might be really good. I am looking foward to seeing it.

Kinda what I expected to hear about this movie! But I'm going to see it myself then I'll give my review!

OpiumKungFuCracker

Most of the movies that come out in August are usually rated R, time for the adults to hit the theaters.. Kids go back to school, THANK GOD!!!!

OK I also seen this movie today, and I'll admit Jason Momoa did a really good job as Conan! I liked the storyline but some of the actors could've been better cast IMO! I though Rose Mcgowan was really good as the Evil Priestess! It was good to see Conan get a Rebirth! It wouldv'e been great to see Arnold cast as his Father in the movie, just my own thoughts! My only gripe was having Morgan Freeman do the narration in the beginning! I would've like to have had someone like James Earl Jones who commands the screen even without seeing him, Morgan is a great actor but the narration was like a Shakespearean play! I think the original score was 1000X's better! Jason while not really as buff as I wish really did a great job as Conan! His Swordsmanship was excellent. Overall I thought it was a good movie, and I didn't see it in 3D I refuse to pay extra for that! I think this movie will be much better the 2nd. time around on DVD!

shaolin drunkard

I did read last weeks local paper theater version is cut coz violence.If uncut/directors cut comes out as dvd/blueray I am picking it.At 1st was not so excited but now am.,...

Just saw Conan at a morning showing and I can confirm it's kickass@ Jason Momoa is by no means a perfect Conan, (just more tan and less muscles) but manages to come across as the character with pure kickassery and no signs of crying or whining. The movie is packed with action and gore violence! Sword fights, brutality, boobies, and Conan! No sidekicks in this movie. The movie shows lots of backstory when Conan was young unlike the original movie. There is no Thulsa Doom, and no snake cult tho the story is similar to the original. The score was decent to set the mood, as well as the sets and atmosphere of the film is great. Lots of CGI blood, and there is a few suspensful moments. Overall I had a fun time watching this movie, and yes I liked it better than the original Conan movie with Schwarzenegger. Go support this movie because they will make sequels if this one does good! So go have a good time and watch CONAN THE BARBARIAN!

Thanks for putting up my hopes because I'm seeing this in about an hour and I've been hearing a lot of bad from most likely a bunch of Arnold worshipers. For some reason as a kid I prefered Conan the Destroyer over the first. :squigglemouth:

shaolin drunkard
Thanks for putting up my hopes because I'm seeing this in about an hour and I've been hearing a lot of bad from most likely a bunch of Arnold worshipers. For some reason as a kid I prefered Conan the Destroyer over the first. :squigglemouth:

Destroyer has better later part,barbarian excels in 1st hour...

IMO...

ShaOW!linDude

I'm glad to see the positive posts from daisho and DragonSword. You're psyching me up! All the reviews I've read so far have been pretty negative. (Like the critics know jack, anyhow.)

As you know I'm a Conan fan and I'm all about Arnold as Conan but really Jason did an excellent job even the way he spoke to woman it seemed to come right out of the Magazine "The Savage Sword of Conan", so yes I really hope they do a sequel but I think 'ld like to see someone write a better script.

@shaolin drunkard ...I'll definitely buy the uncut version on blu-ray.

@Lionclaw...Enjoy the show.

@ShaOW...The critics near me gave the film a one and griped because there is no huge snake monster to battle. In fact there is monster to battle more threatening ones than snakes. If your a fan of Conan and action movies this film hit the target.

This movie was awesome, forget the critics. I just got back. The movie had loads of action scenes which were brutal and easy to follow, the effects were good, and there were many topless women. What else do you want? People complain too much, thats why I don't go by critic reviews. Its a fun action movie.

Lionclaw: What did you think of Jason playing Conan?

I didn't mind him. All I really cared about was the action which he handled very well. I also liked how he just commanded the girl a bunch of times like he was above her. I never really looked into Conan's origins and I never thought Arnold's Conan was anything too special, so I don't think I can really judge if Jason was right for the character or not. But, for what he did, I enjoed it.

i really enjoyed it (and i love the original) mamoa was a good choice.

ron pearlman looked like a cross between a wookie and harry (bigfoot and the hendersons).that is not a critic just an observation.

hope they make a franchise with this.

Saw the up-to-last-night's BO takings and both Conan and (somewhat more suprisingly) Fright Night have utterly bombed, which is a real shame.

A lot of genre films are doing poorly at the moment and these two films join that ignominious list.

Conan opens in the UK this coming Wednesday and I'll be sure to see it opening night.

Glad it's getting some love on here after poor reviews - but then, when it comes to action flicks, mainstream critics are seldom on board.

Archived