Conan the Barbarian: Remake

daisho2004

Only three simple words...WHAT...THE...HELL????

First image of Jason Momoa as Conan

conan-3.jpg

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Likely it`s going to be disaster.Jason does not have looks or muscles to be convincing Conan.

The real problem is the hack director Marcus Nispel. The name alone lets you know excatly what you should expect....more nonsense.

The real problem is the hack director Marcus Nispel. The name alone lets you know excatly what you should expect....more nonsense.

Exactly. It's all about the director's vision.

MN sucks. I guess his Friday the 13th remake was passable, but nothing compared to the originals. And his film PATHFINDER.... ugh.

At least we still have the original to fall back on.

56cdc9d59e92b5837c4c3167fb78f601.jpg

This may be a better idea of what he'll look like. That promo pic looks totally fan-made.

I agree that the real concern is with Nispel directing- I'll give him the benefit of the doubt but he messed up a Viking movie, ferchrissakes! I'm afraid the producers went mercenary on this movie and got a flashy director who would come in on a moderate budget for a legendary character. Pathfinder looked ok (actually, half the time it was too murky to be understood) but it had a horribly cliched storyline and dreadful pacing.

This is going to be put out there to see if it can spark interest in a trilogy and if it dies, so does Conan as a movie for another 20 years. Personally, I would love to see an animated movie or series based on the Howard stories or the recent Dark Horse run.

I sure hope they don't crap on that which is Conan The Barbarian!! I've watched it more times that I can remember.

The pic CrazyFrog posted isn't horrible at all but of course we don't know what the story is about or if it will be in the vain of the original. I hope the fantasy stuff is kept to a minimum. I'd love to see a back to basics movie with squibs and tons of blood!!

We'll have to wait and see.

Did anyone see the short-lived TV series that was out in the 90's where Ralf Moeller from BEST OF THE BEST II played Conan? It was not too bad.

I agree, Crazyfrog's pic is much better

Did anyone see the short-lived TV series that was out in the 90's where Ralf Moeller from BEST OF THE BEST II played Conan? It was not too bad.

AlbertV: I did caught 1 episode but at 1st. I didn't even realize that it was Conan he was playing.

dionbrother: My mistake I read your post wrong!

Here is the Gross brake down for all Sword & Sandal movies:

Box Office History for Conan Movies

Click on column header to sort

Released Movie Name 1st Weekend US Gross Worldwide Gross Budget

5/14/1982 Conan the Barbarian $9,479,373 $38,264,085 - $20,000,000

6/29/1984 Conan the Destroyer $6,876,768 $26,400,000 - $18,000,000

Totals $64,664,085 $64,664,085 $38,000,000

Averages $32,332,043 $32,332,043 $19,000,000

Box Office History for Sword & Sorcerer Movies

Click on column header to sort

Released Movie Name 1st Weekend US Gross Worldwide Gross Budget

4/23/1982 The Sword and the Sorcerer $1,798,879 $36,714,025 - -

5/14/1982 Conan the Barbarian $9,479,373 $38,264,085 - $20,000,000

8/20/1982 The Beastmaster $2,955,641 $10,751,126 - $5,000,000

10/1/1982 Sorceress $1,358,792 $1,358,792 - -

7/29/1983 Krull $5,469,415 $16,519,460 - -

9/2/1983 DeathStalker $456,700 $8,890,685 - -

6/29/1984 Conan the Destroyer $6,876,768 $26,400,000 - $18,000,000

9/7/1984 The Warrior and the Sorceress $574,210 $2,886,225 - -

4/12/1985 Ladyhawke $3,450,536 $18,400,000 - $20,000,000

6/28/1985 Red Sonja $284,662 $6,905,861 - $17,900,000

4/18/1986 Legend $4,261,154 $15,502,112 - $25,000,000

8/30/1991 Beastmaster 2: Through the Portal of Time $381,889 $773,490 - $6,000,000

12/8/2000 Dungeons and Dragons $7,237,422 $15,185,241 $33,771,965 $35,000,000

12/15/2006 Eragon $23,239,907 $75,030,163 $249,488,115 $100,000,000

1/5/2007 Happily N'Ever After $6,608,244 $15,849,032 $38,344,430 $47,000,000

8/17/2007 The Last Legion $2,746,312 $5,932,060 $21,439,015 $67,000,000

11/16/2007 Beowulf $27,515,871 $82,195,215 $194,995,215 $150,000,000

2/14/2008 The Spiderwick Chronicles $19,004,058 $71,195,053 $162,839,667 $92,500,000

12/31/2008 Solomon Kane - - - -

Totals $448,752,625 $884,244,268 $603,400,000

Averages $24,930,701 $49,124,682 $46,415,385

Here in the link to the numbers to compare a little more in depth:http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/series/SwordAndSorcerer.php

You forgot one made in 1981 Excalibur it follows the travels of the legendary sword Excalibur through Arthurian myth, from the violent, powerful hands of Uther Pendragon, to a long-years' rest in the stone to being redrawn by Uther's son Arthur, who uses it to defeat the evil invaders and establish the great court of Camelot and the great Knights of the Round Table. It is there in Arthur's glory years and in his decline, brought on by the love affair between his wife Guenevere and best friend and best knight Sir Lancelot, the Holy Grail Quest which produces many casualties among the knights, and the arrival of Mordred, the son Arthur had by his evil half-sister, the sorceress Morgana. Through it all, the magician Merlin watches over everything, always ready to throw in a Charm of Making when it's called for.

dionbrother

EXCALIBUR predated the others by nearly two years, so we never think of it as part of the S&S boom. I don't consider Arthurian legends part of the genre, but there is an argument to be made for its inclusion.

Definitely worth seeing if you haven't checked it out.

You forgot one made in 1981 Excalibur it follows the travels of the legendary sword Excalibur through Arthurian myth, from the violent, powerful hands of Uther Pendragon, to a long-years' rest in the stone to being redrawn by Uther's son Arthur, who uses it to defeat the evil invaders and establish the great court of Camelot and the great Knights of the Round Table. It is there in Arthur's glory years and in his decline, brought on by the love affair between his wife Guenevere and best friend and best knight Sir Lancelot, the Holy Grail Quest which produces many casualties among the knights, and the arrival of Mordred, the son Arthur had by his evil half-sister, the sorceress Morgana. Through it all, the magician Merlin watches over everything, always ready to throw in a Charm of Making when it's called for.

I was just reading John Boorman was original set to do a movie of the Lord of the Rings where he changed up some crazy shit - Frodo having sex with Galadriel for one, the movie got scrapped so he made Excalibur using some of his ideals.

I caught this movie on cable as a kid, and wow did it ever fucked up my mind lol otherwise it was truely awesome, if not a bit dragged out at the end.

I have zero interest in this new Conan at this point, looks to be another Clash of the Titans, I'd love to be proved wrong.

dionbrother

ZARDOZ contains a lot of Boorman's LOTR material as well. That was the movie he made when the Rings financing fell through.

I saw a few eps and thought it was bloody awful... (And pretty boring.)

ShaOW!linDude

Started to post a new thread for this. Glad I had the sense to look and find this one first. Been reading up on the posts. I found this with the release date for the film.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/111923-conan-is-a-barbarian-again

I had heard rumors about this. I don't how this thread eluded me as I've lurked here for a couple of years or so. I'm on the fence. I've never seen Jason Momoa in anything. I think he looks the part in some sense. As far as Nispel directing.....meh. I liked "Pathfinder" but I thought the end was lame.

Personally, if I could have anyone star in the reboot of this possible franchise it would be Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. I thought "The Scorpion King" was okay, could've been better. But after seeing him in that, I could immediately picture him as Conan.

I'm interested in seeing a trailer for this. Hopefully one will pop up in the next month or so. Then we'll see, I guess.

odioustrident
I saw a few eps and thought it was bloody awful... (And pretty boring.)

The first few episodes were closer to the classic Conan tales. I remember thinking most of the later stuff could be really dull.

It also seemed like they went over budget on the CGI in the first half of the season, because there was a lack of effects in some later episodes.

The guy who made PATHFINDER and the FRIDAY THE 13TH REMAKE directed it.

Which means.... I ain't watching it! Crap. Another MTV music video director.

Ummm... here's an original cover featuring Conan from when Howard was alive:

Weird_Tales_May_1934.jpg

Not so Arnold...

I'm against remakes or revisits to successful films most of the time. My exception is when there is a separate source and a valid argument that the original film did not serve that source well. That argument can be made for Conan (and Kull... I haven't seen Solomon Kane yet; I like the Kane stories so much and and so sure I'll be crushed by the film). Most people don't realize it but the real Conan stories were out of print for decades. The source that the comics and films seem to draw the most from are the re-edited books from Lin Carter and L. Sprague de Camp (both of whom I like but shouldn't have screwed with Conan). Howard's stuff is pretty weird; he was friends with Lovecraft and refers to Lovecraft's stories in Conan stuff. Even if you go with the reedited books, Conan is not a big dumb guy. He speaks like every freaking language in the world, he reads and writes, I don't think he has long hair and he wears clothes most of the time. The biggest thing missing from the movies (and Marvel comics) is the fact that Conan is a wise cracking smart ass! So the original Conan is very different...

That being said, I'm not sure about the lead or the director, but I say bring it on. I'm a fan of pulp style in general and have a pretty good collection of Howard stuff (including westerns and boxing stories). The Conan movies did not do the character justice, nor did the crap Marvel comics or the crap syndicated TV show. Let them try if they think they can do better.

Now somebody make a kick ass Cormac Mac Art and Wulfhere the Skullsplitter movie!

Pathfinder looks, um, shitty. Like I said, I have no confidence in anyone involved in this, but the two Arnold movies were hardly great or what Conan is about. I'll admit to have watching Kull more than once, though...

ShaOW!linDude

Really? You mean KULL starring Kevin Sorbo? You prefer it over Arnold in CONAN THE BARBARIAN? I mean, neither were really just portrayals of the characters but......really? I mean you're not out and out saying that but to me it seems to be implied and............Dude, seriously.............REALLY?

Love that book cover btw, dude. That's cool. You know, all I ever read were the re-edits (though I didn't know it) by Carter and de Camp. Loved those. Conan was one smart cookie and an astounding linguist. It's been a while since I read any of those but I remember his physical description matching his portrayal in the comics (in which he was definitely the strong, brooding type).

Edgar Rice Burroughs had the same problem with depictions of Tarzan in comics and film. Sure the character was raised by apes but he was smart and became civilized. He was an English lord and multilingual. But if film (mainly) and comics (generally) he was portrayed as uncivilized and spoke gutturally. That drove ERB bananas! (Get it? Because Tarzan was raised by apes who eat........never mind.)

Really? You mean KULL starring Kevin Sorbo? You prefer it over Arnold in CONAN THE BARBARIAN? I mean, neither were really just portrayals of the characters but......really? I mean you're not out and out saying that but to me it seems to be implied and............Dude, seriously.............REALLY?

EDIT

Edgar Rice Burroughs had the same problem with depictions of Tarzan in comics and film. Sure the character was raised by apes but he was smart and became civilized. He was an English lord and multilingual. But if film (mainly) and comics (generally) he was portrayed as uncivilized and spoke gutturally. That drove ERB bananas! (Get it? Because Tarzan was raised by apes who eat........never mind.)

I didn't say that... I said I had seen Kull more than once. I've seen both Conan movies more than once, too. Truth be told, though, I like Kull stories more than I like Conan stories.

As far as Tarzan goes.... yeah, the Ron Ely Tarzan is the most accurate Tarzan character but the show isn't so great. I like Burroughs other stuff, especially the Barsoom stuff, but Tarzan is so racist it gets hard to read, especially if you have gone through Haggard's Quartermain books. Although earlier, H Rider Haggard had lived in Africa and had an appreciation for the people there. If you haven't read King Solomon's Mines, which has NO good movie adaptations, you should!

PS: Kull does have Tia looking all hot in it though... and that beats Sandahl Bergman

Archived