Conan the Barbarian: Remake

daisho2004

Now I have to say that I'm a very big Conan fan I think the best comic books were " "The Savage Sword of Conan the Barbarian" And I think Arnold Schwarzenegger was the ultimate person to play that role, even though the sequel was weak there shoulda been a jump start to make a better sequel starring Arnold Schwarzenegger. Now we fast forward to 2010 and we finally have a new actor who will be playing Conan, Jason Momoa. I don't remember seeing him in any movies and to me he doesn't fit the role of Conan at all. Conan was a huge muscle Cimmerian. and Jason to me doesn't fit the stature to be Conan, and I think it is definitely a miscast in my opinion. Below is a picture of Jason which I'm assuming is suppose to be Conan.

http://www.fanpix.net/picture-gallery/402/1583402-jason-momoa-picture.htm

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
froffeecoffee
Now we fast forward to 2010 and we finally have a new actor who will be playing Conan, Jason Momoa. I don't remember seeing him in any movies and to me he doesn't fit the role of Conan at all. Conan was a huge muscle Cimmerian. and Jason to me doesn't fit the stature to be Conan, and I think it is definitely a miscast in my opinion. Below is a picture of Jason which I'm assuming is suppose to be Conan.

The only thing he's done of significance is Stargate Atlantis, which I've never watched. The photo is his character from the show.

I too do not like where this is going. There just doesn't seem to be any respect for the source material. The original at least went for a gritty approach that felt real and was about the character of Conan.

This updated version already feels bland and artificial based upon the lead and director Marcus Nispel. For those unfamiliar with Nispel, he directed the remakes of Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Friday the 13th. That alone leads me to think this will be unremarkable too.

Well I'm glad I'm not alone on this! And "froffeecoffee" thanks for clearing up the picture for me, you can tell I never watched Stargate Atlantis. I think there are so many more actors that could portray Conan. I would've stuck with any WWE Wrestlers who I think have the built to be Conan. And lets be honest Conan doesn't have to be a great Actor, Arnold did that as one of his 1st. movies and it really turned him into a star. Conan didn't have that many lines he was what he was breed to be a conqueror and nothing more! I think the director is really going to ruin this movie! As stated from his 2 previous remakes neither one I seen, nor had any desire to watch.

Don't worry you are not alone in this.........I for one am not looking forward to this at all. I mean Conan without Arnold is just...well wrong!! I'm all for remakes if they are done right and so far ths does not look like it will follow that way of thinking.

Of course it's hard to remake some classics like CONAN THE BARBARIAN...IMO so I'm a little leary of the remake.

The only thing he's done of significance is Stargate Atlantis, which I've never watched. The photo is his character from the show.

He also was a regular member of Baywatch during the final season which they re-named Baywatch: Hawaii. I'm a fan of Nispel's work, but I'm a little wary of Momoa being cast as well.

dionbrother

It's not a remake, it's an uncredited adaptation of some of the Savage Sword comic stories, with an alleged closer tie to the original Robert E. Howard stories. I thought the Milius movie sucked, even as a kid. Schwarzenegger played Conan as a brainless and whiny wimp "You killed my muddah and my faddah, you killed my peoples" before crying in front of Thulsa Doom (who is from the Kull stories, not Conan). Momoa couldn't be any worse, and Nispel couldn't possibly make a film as boring as Milius'.

And speaking of Robert E. Howard, where's the Solomon Kane movie?

At least Ron Perlman will have a cameo as Conan's father and Stephen Lang from Avatar and Scanners is playing the villain.

http://blogs.desmoinesregister.com/dmr/index.php/2010/02/19/interview-with-norwalk-conan-star-jason-momoa/

Interview with Norwalk’s ‘Conan’ star Jason Momoa

Blog post by Sophia Ahmad • February 19, 2010

Jason Momoa. (Special to the Register)

I’m in pain,” Jason Momoa groaned as he lay down for a 10-minute break.

That’s what six hours of sword and fight training can do to a guy.

Momoa, who grew up in Norwalk, Ia., was enrolled in early February in an intense six-week training program at a stunt and martial arts academy in Los Angeles for his title role in the upcoming movie “Conan.”

Director Marcus Nispel (“Friday the 13th” and “The Texas Chainsaw Massacre”) is reviving the fantasy franchise in 2011. Filming for the multi-million dollar Nu Image/Millenium, Lionsgate and Paradox project is scheduled to shoot from mid-March through June in Bulgaria.

Momoa flies to Europe on Monday. He beat out “Twilight” vampire Kellan Lutz for the role.

“It’ll definitely be (my biggest role) as far as a blockbuster hit,” said Momoa, 30, who added that he was still finalizing negotiations for the role even as he wielded a 10-pound sword.

“He only goes for things that interest him. I believe he really wanted this,” said Jason’s mother, Coni Momoa of Norwalk.

The character of Conan is a fictional Cimmerian warrior created in 1932 by Texan writer Robert E. Howard. This will be the third major movie about the 6-foot 2-inch, 210-pound Conan. The original “Conan the Barbarian” (1982) and the “Conan the Destroyer” sequel (1984) starred Arnold Schwarzenegger, now governor of California. Momoa was just a toddler when Schwarzenegger first strode on screen as the swarthy, blue-eyed barbarian.

“At the time, it was amazing … It’s got a little ’80s vibe to it,” Momoa said.

2011’s “Conan” has potential to be as big as the 1982 film, according to Edward Summer, associate producer of “Conan the Barbarian.” “The original Conan stories are very strong stories.” And a strong story can lead to a strong script, he said, although there is no exact way of knowing what the film’s impact will be. “Barbarian” grossed nearly $70 million worldwide, according to box office revenue tracking Web site boxofficemojo.com.

At 6 feet, 5 inches and 215 pounds, Momoa, of Hawaiian heritage on his father’s side, fits the physical features of Conan. (His green eyes can be made blue with contact lenses, Momoa noted.)

He expects to add 10 more pounds of muscle to his frame with help of David Leitch, a stunt performer seen in “The Bourne Ultimatum” and Chad Stahelski, the martial arts stunt coordinator for “The Matrix Reloaded” and “The Matrix Revolutions.”

Conan retains a strong fantasy following as the subject of a Marvel comics series from 1970 to 1996, picked up by Dark Horse Comics in 2003 “Conan” and in 2008 for “Conan the Cimmerian.”

“First we have Brandon Routh as Superman, and then this,” said Jeremy Bement, who manages Mayhem Comics in Clive.

He hopes Momoa will be able to portray Conan as more than just a buff warrior. “(Conan’s) not just all muscle; he’s brains and brawn,” Bement clarified.

“He was the strong, silent type,” Summer said. “He eventually becomes king, so he is smart.”

To tackle Conan’s psyche and to prepare himself for what he called a “burly script,” Momoa went to the source. “I did more research with the books (than the movies), to tell you the truth,” he said.

A character sketch of Conan from the upcoming film describes the lead character as “very smart, almost inhumanly strong, and very cunning. … His entire life, from the moment of his birth, has been shaped by violence.”

Momoa looks tough, but stepping into his third epic fantasy role to date, still considers himself a “mama’s boy.” “I’m a little hippy kid from Iowa, man. I was no toughie. I spent my fair share of time stuffed in lockers,” he said.

Joseph Jason Namakaeha Momoa was born on Aug. 1, 1979, in Honolulu, Hawaii. Namakaeha, a paternal family name, is Hawaiian for “all knowing eyes.” When he was 6 months old, Momoa and his mother moved to Norwalk to be closer to her family. Growing up, Momoa was interested in sports and rock climbing, not acting.

“He was never into any drama at school,” Coni said.

Momoa, an only child, delighted in the fact that his parents were artists – Coni a photographer, and Joseph, a painter.

Momoa returned to Hawaii to attend the University of Hawaii. He was working at a family member’s surf shop when “Baywatch” auditions came to town. His friends made an audition portfolio for him, helping him earn the role as the hunky Jason Ioane on the TV series starring David Hasselhoff and Pamela Anderson.

“I went from folding T-shirts in Hawaii to walking around half naked with really beautiful women, which wasn’t bad at 19,” he said. He appeared on the show from 1999 to 2001, then moved to Los Angeles to take acting classes.

After portraying Frankie Seau on the romantic drama “North Shore,” Momoa landed the part of Ronon Dex on the Sci-Fi series “Stargate: Atlantis” from 2005 to 2009. His “passionate” Sci-Fi fans, as Momoa described them, created a MySpace page on his behalf.

Last fall, Momoa was cast as the brutal warrior Khal Drogo in “Game of Thrones,” a pilot and potential HBO fantasy drama. He will start filming more of the TV series in Ireland and Morocco at the end of June.

Momoa’s personal life has grown alongside his acting career. He has been with his partner, actress Lisa Bonet (Denise Huxtable from “The Cosby Show”) since 2005; they have two children: Lola Iolani, 2, and Nakoa-Wolf, 1.

Fatherhood helped give Momoa insight into the Conan character, he said, since the warrior seeks revenge after his family and townsfolk are murdered.

Momoa said his tendencies are not remotely close to Conan’s brutal ways, although when threatened, he would not hesitate to defend his kids. “… If that happened to my family, I’d do the same,” he said.

While on the verge of what could be his breakout role, Momoa set aside time to explore other interests and cultivate his own film projects.

He wrote and directed “Brown Bag Diaries: Ridin’ the Blinds in B minor,” a short drama film about a vagabond trying to find a home, which he hopes will be screened at the 63rd Cannes Film Festival this year. He plans to shoot a second short film with Bonet this spring in Europe. And he said that five years from now he would be happy to be producing more of his own movies. “Ultimately I will be doing my own art like I always have,” he said.

Momoa paints, as well. He experiments with the way the colors drip, and creates mixed media projects that have landed him art shows in Hawaii and Australia. He is also a self-taught guitarist, finding time to strum melodies during down time on set.

He hopes “Conan” will open the door to more opportunities. On his wish list is a role in the fourth installment of Johnny Depp’s “Pirates of the Carribean,” rumored to be in the works for release next year.

“I simply get to study life. I can be a doctor, I can be a crack addict, I can be Conan the Barbarian – or I can be saving the frickin’ galaxy. It doesn’t ever get dull.”

It just occasionally gets painful, brandishing that sword.

From that Stargate photo Daisho linked to, Momoa would fit better on the set of Pirates than Conan.

froffeecoffee
And speaking of Robert E. Howard, where's the Solomon Kane movie?

Right here. http://www.solomonkane.com/

Heard it's brilliant.

This is how to make a Robert E. Howard adaptation! Get actors, not stars who look appealing. Get a director who has a faithful vision to the source material. Most of all get a story and not an idea. Hopefully the script will carry the Conan film.

Schwarzenegger played Conan as a brainless and whiny wimp

dionbrother: How can you say that about Schwarzenegger playing Conan! He Kicked major ass in that movie! Yes he was whining after he had just been tortured and coming face to face with the Man who took his whole life away! But he did get major revenge on all there asses! In my opinion Schwarzenegger is still the ultimate Conan.

dionbrother

Read the original Howard stories. Then come back and tell me how good Schwarzenegger was. REH's Conan would have never been a slave on the Wheel of Pain. He'd have killed the slave driver and run off to be a pirate or mercenary. He never cried, he never whimpered and NEVER prayed to Crom. Crom wasn't a god that listened to prayers. Conan didn't worship steel or a sword. He was a badass countryboy created by a brilliant, imaginitive and suicidal pulp magazine writer. Milius got the concepts completely wrong. Oliver Stone said his original script was closer to the Howard tales. Milius scrapped most of the Stone script and made Muscleboy vs. the Moonies. I remember a bored, yawning opening weekend audience. My dad and I were completely bummed by how bad and bloated it was. I had only read the Marvel comic books at the time and they blew away the movie.

CONAN THE BARBARIAN was a flop in theaters. That's why the sequel was a PG-13. Many revisionists claim CONAN was a hit, but Albert Pyun's THE SWORD AND THE SORCEROR was more profitable and even got a year-end re-release. Arnold wasn't a "star" until THE TERMINATOR became the sleeper hit of 1984.

I think Aaaaanold fits the popular image of Conan made famous by Frazzetta, I also think Milius did a great job with what he had - a steriod bodybuilder and a pro surfer, neither of whom were actors at the time, he was smart enough to bring in great actors for most of the dialog, Max Von Sydow - James Earl Jones - even the female lead were brillant in their parts. I love Sword and the Sorceror too but out of all the bad shitty fantasy movies out of the 80's there's not much out there. The sequel? complete crap, this is right around when pg13 came out.

The new one smells of hollywad to me, I'd love to be proved wrong.

Arnold did at least look like the comic version of Conan. The violence and blood took the film to another level also... You can't tell me you didn't go "Daaaammmnnn!" everytime Conan wacked off some limbs, and when he hacked off Thusa Doom's dome!

:bigsmile:

dionbrother

It's not much of a Ho'wood production. It's produced by Millenium Films, which is sort of the hybrid remains of Cannon and Imperial Entertainment, a bunch of Israelis, if I'm not mistaken. Same guys who gave us RAMBO, THE EXPENDABLES and Florentine's NINJA.

Frazetta's Conan looked more like Frank Zane or Vince Gironda than Arnie. Actually, he looked like Frazetta himself.

Right here. http://www.solomonkane.com/

Heard it's brilliant.

This is how to make a Robert E. Howard adaptation! Get actors, not stars who look appealing. Get a director who has a faithful vision to the source material. Most of all get a story and not an idea. Hopefully the script will carry the Conan film.

Well now.

:nerd:

dionbrother: WOW your really ripping Conan as a whole! I really wanted to enjoyed "The Sword and the Sorcerer" movie but it just sucked in my opinion. Conan took the Sword & Sandals movies to another level! Every other movie tried to be like Conan and they all failed! But again as far as the comics go I only read "The Savage Sword of Conan" comics and never read any other ones, and I thought they were off the hook, and to me Arnold fit the comic book Conan. So I definitely have to revisit my Conan comics again. I wish that we could've seen Arnold do one of the Savage Sword comics into a movie because the stories were great and filled with action. But as far as the new actor portraying Conan I just don't think he fits the bill! And atleast I'm not alone on this here! Even in the new video game of Conan he has a monster built!

Video Game Cover Art: 51BX-RawjOL._SS400_.jpg

Video Game trailer: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/preview-conan/26500

Just looking at the trailer Arnold is the only one who could've pulled this off!

The Original movie trailer of Conan:

dionbrother

Actually, if they made a Conan movie in the 1960s, Clint Walker was a dead ringer for the character. Not useless bodybuilding muscles, but real strength and genuinely tough-looking. Better actor than Arnie as well.

Never said I liked SWORD AND THE SORCEROR, just said it was more successful. The only Sword fantasy movie I liked from the 80s is ZU WARRIORS FROM THE MAGIC MOUNTAIN, which was made as a response to the S&S fantasies from America.

I do consider THE BEASTMASTER a guilty pleasure. Don Coscarelli was offered the CONAN THE DESTROYER gig but turned it down, allegedly.

Never said I liked SWORD AND THE SORCEROR, just said it was more successful.

dionbrother: My mistake I read your post wrong!

Here is the Gross brake down for all Sword & Sandal movies:

Box Office History for Conan Movies

Click on column header to sort

Released Movie Name 1st Weekend US Gross Worldwide Gross Budget

5/14/1982 Conan the Barbarian $9,479,373 $38,264,085 - $20,000,000

6/29/1984 Conan the Destroyer $6,876,768 $26,400,000 - $18,000,000

Totals $64,664,085 $64,664,085 $38,000,000

Averages $32,332,043 $32,332,043 $19,000,000

Box Office History for Sword & Sorcerer Movies

Click on column header to sort

Released Movie Name 1st Weekend US Gross Worldwide Gross Budget

4/23/1982 The Sword and the Sorcerer $1,798,879 $36,714,025 - -

5/14/1982 Conan the Barbarian $9,479,373 $38,264,085 - $20,000,000

8/20/1982 The Beastmaster $2,955,641 $10,751,126 - $5,000,000

10/1/1982 Sorceress $1,358,792 $1,358,792 - -

7/29/1983 Krull $5,469,415 $16,519,460 - -

9/2/1983 DeathStalker $456,700 $8,890,685 - -

6/29/1984 Conan the Destroyer $6,876,768 $26,400,000 - $18,000,000

9/7/1984 The Warrior and the Sorceress $574,210 $2,886,225 - -

4/12/1985 Ladyhawke $3,450,536 $18,400,000 - $20,000,000

6/28/1985 Red Sonja $284,662 $6,905,861 - $17,900,000

4/18/1986 Legend $4,261,154 $15,502,112 - $25,000,000

8/30/1991 Beastmaster 2: Through the Portal of Time $381,889 $773,490 - $6,000,000

12/8/2000 Dungeons and Dragons $7,237,422 $15,185,241 $33,771,965 $35,000,000

12/15/2006 Eragon $23,239,907 $75,030,163 $249,488,115 $100,000,000

1/5/2007 Happily N'Ever After $6,608,244 $15,849,032 $38,344,430 $47,000,000

8/17/2007 The Last Legion $2,746,312 $5,932,060 $21,439,015 $67,000,000

11/16/2007 Beowulf $27,515,871 $82,195,215 $194,995,215 $150,000,000

2/14/2008 The Spiderwick Chronicles $19,004,058 $71,195,053 $162,839,667 $92,500,000

12/31/2008 Solomon Kane - - - -

Totals $448,752,625 $884,244,268 $603,400,000

Averages $24,930,701 $49,124,682 $46,415,385

Here in the link to the numbers to compare a little more in depth:http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/series/SwordAndSorcerer.php

dionbrother

I was right. SWORD AND THE SORCEROR was more successful. It grossed two million less but cost a tiny fraction of CONAN's budget and had better residual ticket sales. For those of you too young to remember, SWORD AND THE SORCEROR was regionally released, not four walled all over the country like CONAN. National release dates were not common for B movies in those days, unless you had Universal or MGM or Paramount behind you. CONAN was considered a bit of a dud. The lackluster gross for DESTROYER is telling. S&S was a big moneymaker for producer Brandon Chase.

Momoa is actually taller than Schwarzenegger(who actually stands at 5'10), and recent shots of him on TMZ show a stronger resemblance to the character. Being half Hawaiian doesn't bug me at all. I'll give him a chance. He says he's reading the original Howard stories, which I know Arnold never did. But the leaked script kind of sucked, although it has been heavily rewritten since the leak. It's a wait and see.

The one thing I do love about the Milius CONAN is the Basil Poledouris score. One of the best soundtracks of the last 30 years. I wouldn't be offended if they could somehow reuse it.

Box office gross means squat to me, a good movie is a good movie, Destroyer bombed because it was a shit movie, talking about straying from the source material, at least Milius had some balls to put some blood and guts in there, not to mention the nudity/sex scenes.

And c'mon how can you not like Sword and the Sorceror!?! A sword that part of it shoots out like a freaking missle! Plus you have Bull from Night Court, what more can you possibly ask for?:xd:

dionbrother

Box office does mean something when people say the role belongs to Arnold. Bullshit. That's as retarded as saying Batman should only be played by Adam West. Fact is, Arnie didn't set the world on fire as Conan. It's a myth. If he had, they could have done a Conan movie every two years, like 007. In fact, Oliver Stone said that's how he designed his script, to start a series. Audiences did not respond well to the movie. Critics hated it. It has a current rep because many young boys saw their first tits and blood with the movie's frequent HBO airings. Watching it on video or cable, it's easy to overlook its sluggish pacing. In the theater, it was a snoozer.

While he's an interesting person in interviews, and a capable screenwriter, Milius is a horrid director. FLIGHT OF THE INTRUDER, FAREWELL TO THE KING, CONAN, RED DAWN, BIG WEDNESDAY, WIND AND THE LION...bleecch. Valium on celluloid. I liked DILLINGER, thanks to a great scene of Warren Oates beating up Richard Dreyfuss.

Archived