Best Bruceploitation Movie?

MG Lerox

I am very curious about this, for me it is Tower of Death all the way. That movie is just perfect and if you don`t like Bruce`s character then buy Korean version.

My critic:

Story is good, even if it is little usual in Kung Fu films. Fights are awesome, especially with Casanova Wong and Tiger Yeung. Acting is rely great i think that Kim Tai Jung is one of the best ACTORS from Korea his stage performance is rely great.

My rate:

4.8/5

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends on what you're looking for in a Brucesploitation film. I have to go with the subversive and oddly inspired THE DRAGON LIVES AGAIN. If I didn't want to make a Brucesploitation film, but didn't really have a choice (bills to pay, y'know) and was granted the freedom to do whatever I wanted as long as it involved Bruce Lee, almost certainly by a producer looking for nothing other than a quick buck... I'd make it as absurd and sarcastic as possible too.

"You want some Bruce Lee? Fine - how about if when Bruce Lee died, he went to Hell where he teamed up with Popeye and the One-Armed Swordsman to fight against Zatoichi, Clint Eastwood, The Exorcist, The Godfather, and Dracula?" It's a Brucespoitation film Bruce Lee himself would probably approve of, one that gives the subgenre the respect it deserves: none whatsoever. That's why I take the film's opening dedication to the fans...

"This film is dedicated to millions who love Bruce Lee."

...as being completely and totally sincere on the part of the filmmakers. THE DRAGON LIVES AGAIN seems to be their declaration of contempt for the very notion of Brucesploitation - and what true fan of Bruce Lee would disagree with that? I doubt the message was received or understood correctly at the time (understandably so given the absurd and exploitive depths the "serious" Brucesploitation films would sink to), but I think the intent of THE DRAGON LIVES AGAIN is clear and honorable in retrospect.

Is there a widescreen and/or subtitled transfer of this anywhere?

Can we bring this thread back? I think it's a great idea.

My favorite is also Tower of Death. It has fantastic action and a great soundtrack, but it's also laughably bad for the acting and dubbing. I thought this movie was hilarious. This movie is far from "good" and was obviously an obscure cash grab, though it's still very entertaining. I don't usually watch Bruceploitation movies, but I'd like to know which ones are worth watching. Please let me know which ones are your favorites!

Bruce Lee's Secret with it's legendary opening restaurant scene :bigsmile:

Not sure how I let this one pass me by, but I've never seen Bruce Lee's secret. I thought i have until I looked it up on youtube. lol

Killer Meteor
Bruce Lee's Secret with it's legendary opening restaurant scene :bigsmile:

No wonder Ruby Chow didn't want to talk about Bruce...

One Armed Boxer

I'm no expert on Bruceploitation, but if we're going on moves that I've seen which star Bruce Lee imitators, I'd go with -

Iron Dragon Strikes Back (aka The Gold Connection) - Bruce Li

The Chinese Stuntman (aka Counterstrike) - Bruce Li

Dragon Force - Bruce Li

Mission Terminate (aka Return of the Kickfighter) - Bruce Le

Challenge of the Tiger - Bruce Le

ShaOW!linDude

I'm going with Tower of Death also.

I enjoy Blind Fists of Bruce.

And look, I'm just going to say it: I'm going with Game of Death as the best Bruceploitation film ever made. Sure Bruce died before its completion, and only appears in its final fights. But as far as I'm concerned, the stand-ins to complete the film count, especially Yuen Biao.

I was very disappointed with Mission terminate and tbh it's more of a war movie than kf......I'd much rather watch Ninja Strikes Back (hokey as it is)

And look, I'm just going to say it: I'm going with Game of Death as the best Bruceploitation film ever made. Sure Bruce died before its completion, and only appears in its final fights. But as far as I'm concerned, the stand-ins to complete the film count, especially Yuen Biao.

I'm with you on this one.

Game Of Death also has the best soundtracks ever for a Martial Arts film. I think the film was influenced by the real life triad connections in Bruce Lee's film career. There's a lot of these films Ive still not watched yet but Tower Of Death, Exit The Dragon Enter The Tiger and Fist Of Fury 2 are some of the better ones Ive sat through.

Game of Death is the winner to me. It’s the only Bruceploitation movie to have Bruce in many different mediums: cardboards, extras, stock footage, funeral footage, exclusive footage, 6 lookalikes, a James Bond-opening sequence and a James Bond-esque score by John Barry himself. To top it off, it has a decent budget! and a hydro boat! LMAO!

You seriously can get any more exploitive than this!

Followed by: Iron Dragon Strikes Back, The Man/The Myth, Tower of Death, New Fist of Fury and Chinese Stuntman.

Phantom Dreamer
Game Of Death also has the best soundtracks ever for a Martial Arts film. I think the film was influenced by the real life triad connections in Bruce Lee's film career.

Raymond Chow troll job.

Didn't Robert Clouse write the script for G.O.D 78?. As far as I know they used three stand ins. Kim Tai Chung, Yuen Biao and a HK business man for the dialogue scenes.

I think Chinese Stuntman and Iron Dragon Strikes back stand alone and don't really deserve to be lumped in with Ho Chung Tao thumb swiping BL look a like films.

Phantom Dreamer
Didn't Robert Clouse write the script for G.O.D 78?. As far as I know they used three stand ins. Kim Tai Chung, Yuen Biao and a HK business man for the dialogue scenes.

Good ol' "Jan Spears."

Why use another name? was he too embarrassed to use his real name.

Would G.O.D 78 have turned out better without Clouse?. He has worked with a lot of big names in Martial Arts movies but I don't rate him that highly.

Killer Meteor
Why use another name? was he too embarrassed to use his real name.

Would G.O.D 78 have turned out better without Clouse?. He has worked with a lot of big names in Martial Arts movies but I don't rate him that highly.

I'm honestly surprised they didn't basically do a Warrior's Journey: documentary followed by the 40min of footage. Would have been cheaper too...but not as ghoulishly cool as what we got!

Hi Killer Meteor, I did read somewhere maybe here? that Russel Cawthorne wanted to make a documentary about G.O.D rather than a film. Lack of interest from distributors made Golden Harvest switch to making a feature film. It seems the people that were to sell the film did not think the documentary idea would be successful. It's a shame because I'm sure the Doc would have been far more interesting and still be popular. It's a bit late to make a decent one now due to so many of the film crew & cast having passed away or unwilling just to talk.

The G.O.D plot is pretty decent if you can imagine it being made without the Bruce Lee connection. Ditch the yellow jumpsuit and pogoda idea and put someone like Billy Chong in the starring role instead.

Phantom Dreamer

I guess the documentary idea basically morphed into what became Bruce Lee: The Legend which of course had its own mini G.O.D. section.

I didn't like Game of Death that much. I thought it was very boring except for the fight scenes and a few scenes of unintentional hilarity. Personally, I thought the editing was terrible and at times it seemed like a cheap cash-grab. The acting wasn't very good (sometimes laughable). The fight scenes were great and sometimes exciting, but this movie was too ludicrous and boring to take seriously.

I'm thinking of making a more fleshed-out review for SC36. But until then, I'll simply say that I don't really like this movie. Tower of Death was unintentional comedy throughout and the frequent fight scenes made the movie even more entertaining.

Game Of Death also has the best soundtracks ever for a Martial Arts film. I think the film was influenced by the real life triad connections in Bruce Lee's film career...

Very perceptive... Chow should still be pummeled for that...

:tinysmile_angry2_t:

Game of Death is the winner to me. It’s the only Bruceploitation movie to have Bruce in many different mediums: cardboards, extras, stock footage, funeral footage, exclusive footage, 6 lookalikes, a James Bond-opening sequence and a James Bond-esque score by John Barry himself. To top it off, it has a decent budget! and a hydro boat! LMAO!

You seriously can get any more exploitive than this!

"When the opponent expands, I contract... We he contracts, I expand..."

Archived