John Woo's The Young Dragons

shukocarl

I've just read (on another site) that this film was made 2 yrs earlier than it's 1975 release due to it's 'violent nature'and fell foul of the HK censors. I've been a great fan of it's lead actor's (Henry Yu Young) other bashers such as Fists of the Double K (also diercted by John Woo), Wits to Wits, Village on Fire etc and wondered about the story behind the film. Is it really so violent or did it get edited down from the original (different title). I need some answers before gtting the dvd?

Thanks in advance.

Carl:smile:

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Markgway

An indie production that was completed in 1973. There's a poster in circulation that credits two directors (Woo and someone who's name I can't remember). Golden Harvest bought the rights, retitled and recut the film before releasing it as his second movie (after The Dragon Tamers). From what I gather the 1973 version was banned due to violence and wepons use. There are two versions in circulation - the HK theatrical release and a longer, possibly uncut version. I haven't seen the latter, but I believe it came out in Japan on DVD.

Archived