Jackie Chan 70s Movies

JCLegend86

Ive been a long time Jackie Chan fan now. And lately Ive been trying to find the better release of the older movies. I was hoping you guys could help me out.

The movies I need a DVD for is:

-Cub Tiger From Kwang Tung/Master With Cracked Fingers

-36 Crazy Fists

-The Killer Meteors

-To Kill With Intrigue

-Half A Loaf Of Kung Fu

-Fearless Hyena II

-Fantasy Mission Force

-Dragon Fist (HKL?)

-Magnificent Bodyguards (HKL?)

-Snake And Crane Arts Of Shaolin (HKL?)

-Spiritual Kung Fu (HKL?)

Also need a good release of:

-Twin Dragons

-Armour Of God II/Operation Condor

-New Police Story (HKL?)

Im a big fan of the now discontinued HKL releases because of they usually had the uncut versions, decent audio and picture quality, both original chinese and english dubbed audio, tons of bonus features. I know Dragon Dynasty kinda took over the HKL brand but they seems to focus on re-releasing the DVDs HKL released and its been a while since they announced an upcoming Jackie DVD release.

For the 70s JC movies Ive been concidering the Eastern Heroes because they have all of the DVDs. But I got Dragon Fist and the picture is zoomed in, like you dont get the whole picture, the picture was also very weak and sad colours. Im sure there must be better versions out there?

The few things Im looking for in a good release is:

-uncut version

-decent audio/picture

-picture not zoomed (cropped?)

-bonus features is cool

-im fine with only english dubbed, but to have the original chinese as an option is also nice as long as there are english subtitles.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Some moderator might wanna place this thread in the "Classic Martial Arts Cinema 1928-1985" section. My bad.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dragon Jester released a remastered version of Fantasy Mission Force with English subs. However, it's a Malaysian release.

masterofoneinchpunch

RE: Cub Tiger From Kwang Tung

The film quality of the Rarescope R1 edition is quite poor with a cropped picture (shown 2:35:1, but a lot of image is missing), burnt-in subtitles that are occasionally replaced by "other" subtitles when the cropping interferes (and that replacement also has typos and grammar mistakes) and copious amounts of damage. Also, the back cover description has many mistakes with its summation of the plot. The funniest is the combo of "his father has forbidden him ... from learning the martial arts" and "... killed his father many years before." Still it is nice to have available in a non-"Master with Cracked Fingers" version shown close to what it originally was.

The extras are a hodge-podge of trailers, still gallery and a 6-plus minute questionnaire and answer with Jackie Chan. The still gallery is not too bad with what looks like lobby cards and stills from the movie. The Q and A with Jackie Chan is a shaky camcorder print of Jackie being questioned after a showing of "Rumble in the Bronx" (quick talk about the longer HK cut). So this was probably originally filmed around 1997 in the UK (the year it came out in UK) with other clues such as the accents and he talks quickly about future projects: Police Story 5 (probably talking about New Police Story though that would not come out until 2004), a western story (obviously talking about the future "Shanghai Noon" (2000)), a South African story ("Who Am I" (1998)) and about finishing A Nice Guy (later known as "Mr. Nice Guy"; though filming was done in 1997). Not much is learned from this extra other than a quick mention of the "fireman story" that never came about and audiences that are annoying are ubiquitous. Jackie is asked to perform some moves (which he absolutely hates to be asked to do) and he feigns a previous knee injury though later he can be seen bouncing around without any problems.

The HKL DVDs are nice except their sound. The 2.0 tracks are a down mix of the 5.1 ones. :cry:

So I bought some of the German DVDs from Splendid to make my own DVDs.

As Half a Loaf of Kung Fu is concerned I hope for a HK DVD for that movie as the Japanese use the Fortune Star master.

For Fearless Hyena Part II I have this box : http://www.ofdb.de/view.php?page=fassung&fid=2109&vid=155850 with both parts.

Same goes for the Armour of God series : http://www.ofdb.de/view.php?page=fassung&fid=271&vid=145386

Archived