"King Boxer" and "The Thunderbolt Fist": how far do their similarities go?

Fang Shih-yu

Fang Shih-yu

I recently bought "The Thunderbolt Fist", and it's fun to watch, given all its derivative elements! Prior to seeing the movie, I first saw the Celestial trailer, and I noticed some of the actors I remembered from "King Boxer" were in this one, too. (Another reason to get it, for sure!) Before and after watching the DVD, I did look up internet info on this, and I saw [by screen credits] that quite a few people worked on BOTH films. It took the actual watching of "TTF" for me to observe how the look and the structure ALSO reminded me of "KB"! We know these movies were [supposedly] directed by two different guys, but is it possible the director of "KB" (Jeong Chang-hwa) helped the director of "TTF" (Cheung Yat Woo, a.k.a. Chang I Hu) by co-directing--or even directing by HIMSELF (uncredited)--in some way? Watch "KB" and "TTF" back-to-back (basically, the order in which they were released), and you're bound to to observe the similarities between the both of them, too! As these were all Shaw productions released in the same year (1972), the argument is further rationalized!:nerd:

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see your point but it is actually The Chinese Boxer and King Boxer that have very close structural similarities

Fang Shih-yu

Yes, that I nearly forgot, 'til I looked up and read the Mark Pollard review for The Chinese Boxer; I've yet to see TCB, unfortunately! :tinysmile_angry2_t:... To clarify, I've observed more than a few scenes in TTF that remind me of the look, even the feel of KB. Consider these general facts--1) Both Shaw films were released in '72; TTF finished the year, while KB premiered months earlier. 2) Both were directed by South Koreans; Jeong Chang-hwa did KB, and Cheung Yat Woo did TTF. 3)Some performers and "behind-the-scenes" talent from KB wound up working on TTF.... With these facts in mind, watch KB and TTF (in that order); after you have, you might come to the same conclusion I did! TTF was Woo's first film for Shaw, and it's more than possible that this S. Korean was dealing with the same language barriers Chang-hwa did when he made KB. I think Chang-hwa helped Woo in some capacity during the production of TTF because he was a fellow countryman! How far is suggestible by random scenes and the way they're photographed and edited. At least, he was a sounding board for Woo's ideas. At most, he might have directed some scenes to help Woo get the film in on time and budget, and he may have recommended KB actors for the same reason!... This is picked up from circumstantial evidence, of course!:tongue:

Just finished Thunderbolt Fist. Decent movie (AWFUL transfer IMO..LOT'S of blurry segments). My onlymain gripes are the fact that they almostconcentrate more on his "lethal kicks" than his actual TF. The ending was pretty comical to..I actually laughed out loud when it ended. Solid film, fun to watch.

Fang Shih-yu
Just finished Thunderbolt Fist. Decent movie (AWFUL transfer IMO..LOT'S of blurry segments). My onlymain gripes are the fact that they almostconcentrate more on his "lethal kicks" than his actual TF. The ending was pretty comical to..I actually laughed out loud when it ended. Solid film, fun to watch.

Simply put, it's like they screwed up the title and couldn't afford to change it because it would cost money!:tongue: However it got the title it did, TTF is fun, especially that indescribable finish!:wink:

Simply put, it's like they screwed up the title and couldn't afford to change it because it would cost money!:tongue: However it got the title it did, TTF is fun, especially that indescribable finish!:wink:

Oh it's a describable finish..one of my fave yet ;)

tantao3-son of tantao2

...btw shooting of Thunderbolt Fist began before King Boxer in early 1971...

Fang Shih-yu
...btw shooting of Thunderbolt Fist began before King Boxer in early 1971...

That is new information to me! Of course, it's said that Jeong Chang-hwa joined Shaw Brothers in 1968, and he did direct five films there prior to King Boxer, so the theory he helped Cheung Yat Woo with The Thunderbolt Fist --his first film for Shaw-- is still plausible. @nectarsis: What did you think of Chuan Yuan (and his dubbed voice!) as the lead in TTF? Do you believe he would've been better received if he had been clean shaven?:tongue: Maybe sexy Shih Szu should've been given the deadly kick, and she and Chuan (with the "thunderbolt fist") dispatched the bad guy in a real GRAPHIC manner that outdoes the finale we enjoy?:wink:

Actually I only watched it subbed, so no clue on the dubbed voice..yet lol. I think he MAY have been better received clean shaven, but the kind of "gritty/rough" look def worked well for the character & story IMO.

Fang Shih-yu
Actually I only watched it subbed, so no clue on the dubbed voice..yet lol. I think he MAY have been better received clean shaven, but the kind of "gritty/rough" look def worked well for the character & story IMO.

True. I have no problem with Chuan's look, myself, but there are some who think he looks harsh!:tongue: Something as simple as his being [somewhat] unshaven gave an element of realism to the production. He was ideally cast, I think; if Ti Lung had the role, it wouldn't be the same!... Do you think when Shih Szu:kiss: was on-screen, she stole the show from Chuan?:wink:

LOL I think most of us would look harsh after the repeated ass kickings, hiding in the mountains for years, etc. :tongue: Shih Szu IMO accented the scenes she was in, but never stole them.

Fang Shih-yu
LOL I think most of us would look harsh after the repeated ass kickings, hiding in the mountains for years, etc. :tongue: Shih Szu IMO accented the scenes she was in, but never stole them.
Yeah...it's just me!:wink: Shih Szu was hot, whether it was in these earlier kinds of roles or the way she was in The Deadly Breaking Sword!:kiss: Her scene in TTF where she was a temporary "Robin Hood" was her big moment before she got her butt-kicking into high gear (near the end)!:tongue: I do wonder if some of us might not have bought this if there were no early Fu Sheng [visible] bit role; well, I'm glad he was there, or I would've passed up on such a fun movie!... Happily, the IVL DVD is still around, so I'm liable to get one for the picture upgrade!

I always felt Lo Lieh could have played that role better, especially since it's before King Boxer.

The films do have a certain familiar feel to them. I like both. James Nam makes quite the dirty villain.

Archived