Shaolin Prince (1983) Vs Shaolin Intruders (1983)?

Topgun

Hello guys,

After watching these two titles, I have made up my mind that "Shaolin Intruders" is a much better movie due to its story and fighting choreography. Derek Yee is doing a good job in this one. I think people are biased in “Shaolin Prince” because the great Ti Lung is the lead actor.

Please share your thoughts.

Topgun:cry:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fist Of Boss

I say certain scenes in SI (fight in chairs and derek yee vs shaolin polefighters) are better than action in shaolin prince.

But overall I prefer Prince.I like unusual weapons in that.

Morgoth Bauglir

I like the characters and story in Prince a bit more. Intruders is a better movie for the action. I give Intruders the slight edge.

Intruders has a better cast overall: Phillip Ko, Lee Hoi San, Jason Pai Piao. And the action is much better, you can see how hard they must've worked on that one.

Skepparkrans

I really want to see Intruders, sadly i have to re-order it since my copy never arrived, i ordered it from dvdpacific and it seems like they have closed there business. :tinysmile_angry2_t:

Anyway, prince is great, even if i dont care much for the Ti Lungs three shaolin masters, they where a bit much for me.

Love them both, for different reasons... Intruders are IMHO overall better and definitely surpass Prince choreo-wise, but Shaolin Prince is -- delightfully funky. :xd:

Anyway, prince is great, even if i dont care much for the Ti Lungs three shaolin masters, they where a bit much for me.

Agreed there, though the ending is pretty entertaining, Intruders for me.

Shaolin Chamber 36
Love them both, for different reasons... Intruders are IMHO overall better and definitely surpass Prince choreo-wise, but Shaolin Prince is -- delightfully funky. :xd:

I agree with my man Cesare 100%. Well said.

Omni Dragon

For me it would be Intruders great story :wink:

prinnysquad

Shaolin Intruders is great, just pure entertainment from start to finish. I watched it with a mate and we loved every minute of it.

Drunken Monk

I don't solidly remember "Shaolin Prince" but from what I do recall, I think I prefer "Shaolin Intruders." That final fight is a beauty.

Morgoth Bauglir

That final fight in Intruders is pretty sweet, but the final fight in Prince is one area where I think Prince is far superior.

Have to be honest and admit I didn't care for Shaolin Prince too much. My least favorite of Tang Chia's three movies he directed. 

Cant complain about the fight scenes though. They were great. But the problem for me was what was going on in between the fight scenes. Which felt like absolutely nothing. Didn't care for the plot, the characters, or the god awful comedy. I couldn't take much more of the three stooges/monks.

I guess it's passable for a first time director but this movie isn't even in the same stratosphere as "Shaolin Intruders" which for me is a top ten 80s Shaw flick.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Never dug it either, and Ti Lung playing some young novice at this point is more ridiculous than him playing Jackie's dad in DMII.

13 minutes ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Never dug it either, and Ti Lung playing some young novice at this point is more ridiculous than him playing Jackie's dad in DMII.

I didn't even think about that lol. 

Anither thing that bugged me was it was obvious Ti Lung didn't want to shave his head for this movie. That's got to be the only reason the three masters who raised him had long hair also. So it would make sense why his character had hair also.

Killer Meteor
1 hour ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Which is weird, cuz by '83 there wasn't that much to shave.

I read somewhere Shaws didn't generally want their actors shaving their heads, hence the focus on the lay Shaolin students in films like Heroes Two, and the general lack of the frontal temple shave favoured in the Ching Dynasty.

By 1983...probably just poor ol' Ti trying to retain his Alain Delon look.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Yeah, the big stars were doing multiple movies a year and occasionally at the same time, so it would not be practical. I think the bit players and Gordo was the only ones who really shaved.

Shaolin Prince is one of my favorites.  Bummer you didn’t like it, but I agree Intruders is also a classic.

12 hours ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

That is the main issue that I have with Shaolin Prince - I think that someone younger should have played that role. I know that they wanted a big name/draw actor but that role should have gone to someone like one of the baby venoms.

Anyway back on topic. 

I would say it would come down to the viewers choice as both movies are good.  But personally, it would be Battle For Shaolin over 3 Holy Fools. 

One Armed Boxer

Man, I haven't seen either of these flicks since IVL released them back in '04 and '05.  Out of the two of them though, it's 'Shaolin Prince' that sticks in the memory as being the most entertaining.  If I recall correctly it's one of the true HK 'everything and the kitchen sink' movies, with Tong Gaai throwing everything at us from Canto comedy, to supernatural shenanigans, to a sedan chair infused finale.  It had a certain manic energy which I felt was missing from 'Shaolin Intruders', but if I watched them together now I'd be curious to see if I still felt the same way.

Archived