Resurrection of the Golden Wolf (in the new Mill Creek Sonny Chiba 4-pack)

Morgoth Bauglir

Morgoth Bauglir

I didn't see a thread on this movie, and was wondering what people think of it. Got it in the new “Sonny Chiba Collection”, at Best Buy for $6.99. In case people are wondering, it also has Legend of 8 Samurai, Ninja Wars and GI Samurai. All are remastered, in Japanese with removable subs, and the back of the DVD case says they are all anamorphic. They show up in 16:9 on my TV, so that may mean they are fake anamorphic, but I really have no idea. I’m not the person to go to for this type of info. They look good to me, so that’s all that matters to me :tongue:

Yusaku Matsuda (I’ve never heard of this guy before now) is great as the lead. It is a very dark movie, and that’s just the way I like em. The story and acting are top notch. Not a ton of action, but I thought there was enough, and what action there is is very well done. I can’t say I fully understood the movie, but I still thought it was really good. Sonny Chiba gets a decent role. I don’t remember him fighting though.

I only got this set for Golden Wolf, so I was hoping it would be really good, and I was not disappointed. I’ll be watching this one again soon (mainly so I can pay closer attention and try to figure everything out!)

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All four films were released by BCI in 16:9, Mills Creek is using the same print.

Morgoth Bauglir

Ah crap, I did not realize they ever released Golden Wolf. i wish I would have known that, I would have picked up the BCI version. Luckily there were no problems with this Mill Creek set.

BlackLamaFaction

Shogun's Samurai, Yagyu Clan Conspiracy: Sonny Chiba at his best and most deadly. It's a crime that 's not in the collection.

Morgoth Bauglir

For me Sonny Chiba's best is Killing Machine. Also Power Aikido just for the opening fight. That's probably the fastest and most deadly I've ever seen Chiba. Shogun's Samurai is one of the best movies ever made. Chiba is just a costar, but he helps the movie out greatly.

BlackLamaFaction

Yeah Morgoth, your right he was just a co star in a amazing ensemble cast. So he didn't get as much screen time. But you have to admit when he hands the emperor's head to his father at the end that was one bad ass move. Long live Jubei.

Morgoth Bauglir

I just realized the lead in Golden Wolf, Yusaku Matsuda, is the same guy who played the awesome psycho villain in the Michael Douglas movie Black Rain. Great special feature on him on the Black Rain DVD. Brought a tear to my eye. Shame he had to die so young. Anybody have a list of favorite performances from him? I need to see more of this great actor. He's so cool!

Archived