Lover's Blade

teako170

One of those flix we may never see remastered. Have a raw copy I've yet to watch.

Anyone seen and care to comment?

loversblade.jpg

right click for full size

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just pasting what I said back in 2007.

I wouldn't say Lover's Blades is good, but I like it. It's the same for me liking Weird Man but I don't think it's good. I really like Lu Chun Ku, Hsu Hsia, Wang Lung Wei, Meng Yuan Man, Kuan Feng and Yuen Tak. The action is superb. It's one of Lu Chun Ku's only other kung fu pictures at Shaw. The rest were wu xia pictures.

The movie itself is rather annoying and the comedy isn't funny.

Hsu Hsia came up with some smokin' action for this. He made Ying Hung and Candy Wen look like a million bucks without having to be doubled.

I can't speak to telling anyone to get it as I have personal interests in it and can overlook the fact that it's not good or whatever.

Cloud Hands

I watched this today. The storyline is decent enough, if clichéd. The action is well choreographed, predominantly weapons, but bit of shapes with Wang Lung Wei.

Unfortunately, for me, this film becomes too bogged down in canto comedy at many points.. with a slightly different focus this could have been much better. On the plus side, fan's of Kara Hui will enjoy her performance, she is without a doubt the highlight of the film.

Lover's Blades is not top tier, but it is worth checking out if your a Shawaholic - as long as you can stomach the comedy.

Can't remember where I heard it, but I think this was the film that Meng Yuen-Man suffered a heart attack and it would result in his retirement.

I watched the remastered print on the Celestial Classic Channel and while it is not top-notch, Celestial should release it for fans of Kara Hui and they are out there.

I have the remastered subbed print (a few seconds of credits missing at the beginning) and it's a good one for the Shaw's fans, with a lot of good fights with weapons. Kara Hui is very good in this one and there is a touch of humor sometimes...

Archived