Mr. Vampire influenced films that are actually worth seeing?

odioustrident

odioustrident

Mr Vampire

Mr Vampire III

Mr Vampire IV

Vampire vs. Vampire

Magic Cop

From what I have seen in this formula, only Wizard's Curse and Forced Nightmare hold a candle to the above films IMO. I also appreciate the Kent Cheng stuff like Ghost Legend and Spooky Family. Films like Mad Mad Ghost, Red & Black and Ultimate Vampire were disappointing but not terrible.

Anything after these films that fares OK, at least action-wise? I have heard Musical Vampire, Banana Spirit and Crazy Safari are not bad. Should I check out any of these 3 and/or any other films?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I liked Doctor Vampire, which adds in western (Dracula style) vampires and Category III sex and gore into the mix:

http://www.hkfilm.net/movrevs/drvamp.htm

Exorcist Master is another Lam Ching Ying vampire buster picture, with the twist that he has to kill a vampire that is a mix of both East and West styles:

http://www.hkfilm.net/movrevs/exorcist.htm

That's the only couple I can think of offhand though, at least for quality movies. There's a lot of crap knock-offs out there.

You seen both of Samo's Spooky Encounters flicks right? They're about as good as the hopping vamp genre gets imo.

Crazy Safari is fun, my favourite of the Lam Ching Ying vamp flicks, if only for seeing Ni!xau from the Gods Must Be Crazy films get possessed by the spirit of Bruce Lee. Hilarious stuff. Best. Bruce. Imitator. Ever.

Guest ekisha

Mr Vampire 1992 if you like the first original one.

...then New Mr Vampire (Chung Fat & Chin Siu Ho), Spiritual Trinity (Kent Cheng & Lam Ching Ying). Those Merry Souls (Yuen Biao & Lam Ching Ying) Dead & Deadly (Sammo Hung, Lam Ching Ying), Hocus Pocus ( Lam Ching Ying & Tung Wai)

Banana Spirit is another matter, it's more like ghost-love story.

I liked Doctor Vampire, which adds in western (Dracula style) vampires and Category III sex and gore into the mix:

http://www.hkfilm.net/movrevs/drvamp.htm

Just saw Doctor Vampire and really enjoyed it -- it's a good companion piece to Mr. Vampire, with European vampires instead of Chinese ones. However, unless there is a different cut somewhere, as the above review says, there is no nudity.

You seen both of Samo's Spooky Encounters flicks right? They're about as good as the hopping vamp genre gets imo.

Crazy Safari is fun, my favourite of the Lam Ching Ying vamp flicks, if only for seeing Ni!xau from the Gods Must Be Crazy films get possessed by the spirit of Bruce Lee. Hilarious stuff. Best. Bruce. Imitator. Ever.

I'll 2nd Crazy Safari. That was a fun and fairly well made film. Need to watch it again, it's been a while. And yeah, his Bruce imitation was... interesting.

One Armed Boxer
On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2010 at 5:14 AM, Guest ekisha said:

Hocus Pocus ( Lam Ching Ying & Tung Wai)

Not exactly 'Mr. Vampire' influenced, since it preceded it by a year, but also a very different type of movie compared to the jiangshi era that came to dominate the rest of the 80's and early 90's.  I recently gave it a watch thanks to the newly released Blu-ray, and gave it the full review treatment over at COF -

https://cityonfire.com/hocus-pocus-1984-review-lam-ching-ying-sammo-hung/

Graeme Of Death

Only ever seen Encounters of the Spooky Kind and Mr Vampire, never seen any of the sequels. As much as I love those films kung fu and horror doesn't really go for me. Are the Mr Vampire sequels worth watching?

2 hours ago, Graeme Of Death said:

Only ever seen Encounters of the Spooky Kind and Mr Vampire, never seen any of the sequels. As much as I love those films kung fu and horror doesn't really go for me. Are the Mr Vampire sequels worth watching?

The first one of these type films I saw was Mr Vampire 4 starring Chin Kar Lok and loved it,don’t know about 3 and 2 though.

Chu Liu Hsiang

Adding two titles: 

THE ETERNAL COMBAT, with Lam Ching Ying, Joey Wong, Shing Fui On - recommended if you like the genre

VAMPIRE KIDS - awful in every regard, even Shing Fui On as Vampire boss cannot save it

Watched 1st mr vampire some days ago and while it was quite low in action, comedy was actually good(or stuff I liked) for once. HKL transfer is gorgeous for a dvd so think will not get forthcoming BR but if sequels are released by eureka interested for sure.

Not having seen this in over 30 years, I don't remember how good it was.  Gekitotsu! Kyonshi kozo shijo saikyo no kanfu akuma gundan (aka Shaolin vs. Vampire) was a 1988 Japanese hopping vampire movie in which "Gordon Liu must use his skills to protect some baby vampires in Hong Kong."  It played on Japanese TV when I was there with a tour group.  It's on Youtube under "Wu Tang Collection - Shaolin vs Vampire" with English subtitles. 

A recent vampire film I enjoyed was Vampire Cleanup Department (Gau geung ching dou foo, 2017), a Hong Kong comedy directed by Chin Sin-Hang and Yan Pak-Wing.  Cast includes Babyjohn Choi (Ip Man 3), Min Chen Lin (A Moment of Happiness), Chin Siu-Ho, Richard Ng, Lo Meng, Yuen Cheung-Yan (Fist of Legend), and Eric Tsang.  "The film is a memorial for Lam Ching-ying's passing away 20 years" earlier. (Wikipedia)  Vampire Cleanup Department gets a U.S. DVD release from Widowmaker Films on September 8, 2020.  Announcement here - https://videoeta.com/items/226072-vampire-cleanup-department

Archived