Challenge the Dragon / The Needle Avenger (Code Red)

Mark Pollard

Mark Pollard

Update: It looks like CHALLENGE THE DRAGON goes by the alt title of THE WAY OF THE TIGER (1973 - thanks Morgoth). The identity of THE NEEDLE AVENGER is still unconfirmed but I suspect it may be NEEDLES OF DEATH (1976).

Code Red is putting out a kung fu double feature on March 16 featuring (what may be) Taiwanese actioner CHALLENGE THE DRAGON (1974, aka CHALLENGE OF THE DRAGON), starring John Cheung and Michael Chan. The other one I have not been able to identify. It goes by the name THE NEEDLE AVENGER. Anyone have any ideas which movie this might be or who is in it?

picture.php?albumid=55&pictureid=2143

http://www.amazon.com/Challenge-the-Dragon/dp/B0036BDQL0/ref=sr_1_321?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1268196367&sr=1-321

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Morgoth Bauglir

Wow! Great info Mark. I have not heard of this release. I’ve been wanting to get Challenge of the Dragon for awhile. According to hkmdb.com, it’s one of the 2 movies that Jin Fu Wan aka Gam Fook Man was in. The other is Kung Fu Massacre aka The Big Showdown where he co-stars alongside Charles Heung. He gives one of the most badass performances I’ve ever seen in a kung fu movie. Really lethal skills shown, and great acting too. Lets hope it really is Challenge of the Dragon, because I don’t recognize the guy on the cover. Kind of looks like Tong Lung from Shaolin Chastity Kung Fu and Devil Killer. Also, the title says “Challenge the Dragon”, while the movie with Michael Chan, John Chang and Jin Fu Wan is listed on hkmdb as “Challenge of the Dragon”.

I don’t have any info Needle Avenger, but I’m hoping it isn’t the movie Dragon vs the Needles of Death. I remember having a very tough time sitting through that one.

Mark Pollard
...Lets hope it really is Challenge of the Dragon, because I don’t recognize the guy on the cover. Kind of looks like Tong Lung from Shaolin Chastity Kung Fu and Devil Killer. Also, the title says “Challenge the Dragon”, while the movie with Michael Chan, John Chang and Jin Fu Wan is listed on hkmdb as “Challenge of the Dragon”...

Good point. We'll have to wait and see.

Morgoth Bauglir

Another one it could be is Last Challenge of the Dragon aka The Big Family. So maybe that is Bolo on the cover, even though it doesn't look anything like him. But he only has a cameo in that movie.

Mark Pollard

Based on the artwork, I'm narrowing the second title down to NEEDLES OF DEATH (1976) which has previously been released by Saturn and Ground Zero.

Morgoth Bauglir
Based on the artwork, I'm narrowing the second title down to NEEDLES OF DEATH (1976) which has previously been released by Saturn and Ground Zero.

Uh-oh. If that is true then it is a BAD BAD movie.

I think I found out what movie Challenge the Dragon is- http://hkmdb.com/db/people/image_detail.mhtml?id=14592&image_id=25424&display_set=eng (you'll have to click refresh after loading this page to see the image) ----- I have not seen this movie. Curious to hear what people think of it.

Mark Pollard

picture.php?albumid=55&pictureid=2144

Wow, that's it. Does that look like SHAOLIN CHASTITY KUNG FU then? I haven't seen the film, though I may have a copy laying around.

Morgoth Bauglir

Just a guess, but forum member JAMAL probably has it. But I can't find a clip on youtube, so maybe not. JAMAL has put out some great looking stuff from what I've seen on youtube.

Also, they could have just slapped some random pictures on the cover. We probably have the titles right, but you never know.

And I wonder where they got the titles from for this release...

Morgoth Bauglir

The print you have is TOO good Jamal! This movie needs to be seen with bad pic quality. That way you can't fully see how bad the fighting is!:tongue:

From the picture what can i say is :

First movie : The way of the tiger aka Challenge the Dragon

Star : Tong lung

Second movie : Needles of death AKA Dragon Tiger and Phoenix

Star : Ang Fung, Chan San Yat

Check out my Blog Site fot the Clip :

http://jamalkungfuprojects.blogspot.com/2009/04/needles-of-death-aka-dragon-tiger-and.html

Jamal

I'm late but spot on Jamal

Mark Pollard

Thanks for the confirmation guys. Now we just have to find out if the cover art matches the releases.

ThunderScore
anyone got these yet?

I have it. NEEDLE AVENGER is indeed DRAGON VS NEEDLES OF DEATH. Both titles looked pretty nice. Especially enjoyed the old Saturn intro at the beginning of the show...

Killer Meteor
I have it. NEEDLE AVENGER is indeed DRAGON VS NEEDLES OF DEATH. Both titles looked pretty nice. Especially enjoyed the old Saturn intro at the beginning of the show...

widescreen? anamorphic?

cheers!

ThunderScore
widescreen? anamorphic?

cheers!

Sorry! They're both wide. According to the info on the sleeve, it's "Presented by Master of 42nd Street Grindhouse and President of 21st Century Pictures Tom Ward!". Includes Original theatrical trailers for both.

Killer Meteor
Sorry! They're both wide. According to the info on the sleeve, it's "Presented by Master of 42nd Street Grindhouse and President of 21st Century Pictures Tom Ward!". Includes Original theatrical trailers for both.

Hey, that's encouraging! 21st Century distributed quite a few Bruceploitation films!

Were they anamorphic?, sorry!

ThunderScore
Hey, that's encouraging! 21st Century distributed quite a few Bruceploitation films!

Were they anamorphic?, sorry!

Not at all! I'll get it right yet...

"Brand New anamorphic transfer (16x9) from Tom Ward's Vault."

There's also a "Kung Fu demonstration menu from Master Leo Fong" - I think this is simply the main menu, with Monty Python-esque figures and animation (I guess one of them is Leo Fong - the other must be Tom Ward)...

Killer Meteor
Not at all! I'll get it right yet...

"Brand New anamorphic transfer (16x9) from Tom Ward's Vault."

There's also a "Kung Fu demonstration menu from Master Leo Fong" - I think this is simply the main menu, with Monty Python-esque figures and animation (I guess one of them is Leo Fong - the other must be Tom Ward)...

excellents, thanks for the news. i'll buy this!

ThunderScore

Just finished watching DRAGON VS NEEDLES OF DEATH - very, very enjoyable... The nails were pretty cool... The dubbing was easy on the ears - I heard Ed Mannix, Les Daniels (aka Tony La Penna) and other familiar Euro dubbers. The 21st Century theatrical trailer with Adolph Caesar's voice-over was simply freaking awesome!! Just picked up the 1-Sheet and ad mat for this as well:

b8816e4f782ee2aa7ae8dfad719955b4614bc47b.jpg

ThunderScore
Can you put some screen caps of this version in forum my friend !!!

Jamal

I'm sorry, I don't have the ability to do that. I can say that tho the print wasn't exactly pristine, I've got the distinct impression that it never looked that great was when it was shown theatrically in the States - saw splices and end of reel wear and tear... didn't bother me in the least -

Archived