Odd Couple - which version?

Gaijin84

I don't think there's any customs where someone edited the speed of the fights in a film. That would be a bit strange, except for maybe the odd film.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TibetanWhiteCrane

I can't stand this movie! And as my avatar suggests, im a pretty big Sammo fan.

I never did either but I usually avoid mentioning it. Big Sammo fan too, and Mars looks disturbing in it.

I can't stand this movie! And as my avatar suggests, im a pretty big Sammo fan.

I never did either but I usually avoid mentioning it. Big Sammo fan too, and Mars looks disturbing in it.

I've got to admit I'm surprised I didn't like it either. Given a lot of Sammo's best movies are in this time period and the general word-of-mouth that this is a classic, I expected something special but really the speed up killed the movie for me. It was like scanning a DVD at 1.5 or 2 times the regular speed (maybe faster) during the fights and completely took me out of the film. I'm also surprised others weren't bothered by this either but at the very least I'm pleased I've seen the film so I know in my opinion it's not something I've been missing out on, which I felt like the last however many years.

I don't think there's any customs where someone edited the speed of the fights in a film. That would be a bit strange, except for maybe the odd film.

I didn't honestly think there would be but I just kind of hoped.

Drunken Monk

Not only was I not bothered by the sped up fights, I didn't even notice they were sped up.

I stand by the fact that "Odd Couple" has some of the greatest weapon work ever committed to film and is still one of the greatest kung fu movies of all time. It rides high in my top five.

TibetanWhiteCrane

All a matter of taste... it wouldn't even break my top 100.

In my mind there are two kinds of kung fu comedy: The ones where the comedy is filler between action scenes. And the ones where the comedy gets in the way of the action, and becomes the dominating factor. I think Odd Couple falls in the latter category. Some people may like that, I just don't.

All a matter of taste... it wouldn't even break my top 100.

In my mind there are two kinds of kung fu comedy: The ones where the comedy is filler between action scenes. And the ones where the comedy gets in the way of the action, and becomes the dominating factor. I think Odd Couple falls in the latter category. Some people may like that, I just don't.

Isn't this the movie where Sammo keeps bopping Dean Shek on the head, and he keeps regurgitating raw eggs on the table...for like 5 minutes? It's hard to watch that scene...a little too goofy for me. But hey, that opening action scene with the weapons is just awesome. And some of the comedy isn't bad. Some.

TibetanWhiteCrane

It has some sweet weapons work, no doubt. But it drowns in all the retarded buffoonery.

Archived