Odd Couple - which version?

Gaijin84

I'm looking to pick this up, but I need some advice on which version to get.

I can get the HKL for ~$40 or the Mei Ah version for ~$10. Obviously the HKL version is probably superior, but HKFlix says that the Mei Ah picture is very good, plus it lists that version as ~97min while the HKL is ~92.

Has anyone seen both versions and can compare? Is the HKL version worth the extra $30?

thanks in advance

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the HKL and I like it except the audio. Why oh why do they always have to use 5.1 instead of the original soundtrack..

I like to watch the old movies in stereo or mono.

If you look an amazon.co.uk or ebay.co.uk you can get HKL movies cheap if you are lucky.

Morgoth Bauglir
i got it in a Video Asia Lau family pack with 5 other movies....dont know how it looks tho

Is your DVD player not working? I think it looks quite good. One of the better pic qualities I've seen on a Videoasia releases. Definitely worth the $7.99 I paid for it at Cd Tradepost

but HKFlix says that the Mei Ah picture is very good, plus it lists that version as ~97min while the HKL is ~92.

I'm think this is because the Mei Ah is NTSC and the HKL is PAL. I don't have them, but I'm going to keep answering all technical questions until I get one right dammit!

The HKL isn't cut and pal while the MeiAh is NTSC.

I liked the extras on the HKL but if you can live without them go for the MeiAh.

Beware there is one HKL Disc without the extras. Its was distributed with the magazine by DeAgostini. But it should state that in the ebay auction or the Amazon marketplace.

For the other Sammo movies by HKL I do not know if cut or not except Iron Fisted Monk which is cut. Rape scene among other cuts.

Beware there is one HKL Disc without the extras. Its was distributed with the magazine by DeAgostini. But it should state that in the ebay auction or the Amazon marketplace

Is this the one that is the exact same cover but titled Shaolin Sabre vs Wu Tang Spear?

Other than the 5.1 mix - which on occasion inserts some new (not totally distracting, but pointless) sound effects (Mei Ah has mono), HKL annihilates it with its remastered/re-translated presentation and extras :tongue:!

Yea i have HKL version and agree with these guys that picture and extras wise it is probably the best.

I got it for £5 bout year ago, wish I had bought other HKL titles for that price at the time :sad:

... and each have their advantages. The Meh Ah has original language and video is pretty darn good. The HKL has special features and interviews. I think you'd be happy with either choice, honestly.

P.S. ... Totally AWESOME friggin' movie, btw!!!!

thanks all!

I think i'll pick up the Mei Ah on the cheap for now and wait to see if an HKL version comes up for a bit less.

Beware some early pressings of the Mei Ah DVD contain pixellation. I have both versions and the HKL is better: superior picture and subtitles.

lillippa328
Is your DVD player not working? I think it looks quite good. One of the better pic qualities I've seen on a Videoasia releases. Definitely worth the $7.99 I paid for it at Cd Tradepost

Nah just havnt had the chance to open it yet....

speaking of the video asia packs...how is the drunken one? I saw that at best buy for 10

Slightly changing the subject, which movies are in these new VideoAsia releases? I see the following ones are just released or pre-orders, but with no specific info:

Martial Arts Essentials, Vol. 6: Drunken Masters (as you mentioned)

Martial Arts Essentials, Vol. 7: Best of the Best Series 2-6

Shaolin Iron Men 4 Film Set

Wu Tang Protect Ya Neck 4 Film Set

Morgoth Bauglir

I'm curious what's in those upcoming packs too. They also have one that I think is going to have the Kung Fu Kids movies in it, but we'll have to wait and find out. http://www.amazon.com/Jackie-Chan-Kung-Kids-Film/dp/B0039ZF85K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1268252823&sr=8-1

Here's a quick review I did of the Drunken Masters set- http://kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48113&page=64

I've got the Mei ah dvd. Perfect in my opinion, ok it's not restored or picture perfect but it's a good clear print and miles better than any VHS i had and i won't be replacing it with anything else. One of the best Weapons movies ever made in my opinion.

Beware there is one HKL Disc without the extras. Its was distributed with the magazine by DeAgostini. But it should state that in the ebay auction or the Amazon marketplace.

Is there any difference in picture between the two Hong Kong Legends discs or just one disc has extras? Does it have a Bey Logan audio commentary track or no extras whatsoever? Anamorphic widescreen? English dubbed and subbed?

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Is there any difference in picture between the two Hong Kong Legends discs or just one disc has extras? Does it have a Bey Logan audio commentary track or no extras whatsoever? Anamorphic widescreen? English dubbed and subbed?

The DeAgostini version does not include the HKL's extras, nor the Bey Logan commentary. The picture quality looks identical.

The DeAgostini version does not include the HKL's extras, nor the Bey Logan commentary. The picture quality looks identical.

Thanks KFB just what I wanted to hear.:bigsmile: there's no way I can afford the Hong Kong Legends release, I'll try and get my hands on the DeAgostini one.

Is it subtitled and dubbed?

oh yes I keep meaning to mention your artwork is great!

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Thanks KFB just what I wanted to hear.:bigsmile: there's no way I can afford the Hong Kong Legends release, I'll try and get my hands on the DeAgostini one.

:wink:

Is it subtitled and dubbed?

Hmmm... I don't own this. It, and several other DeAgostini discs were lent to me. I checked them out, copied what I didn't have, and sent them back to my friend. I already owned the HKL version of PRODIGAL SON at the time, so I just popped the DeAgostini version in to see what was up. I know for sure that there weren't any special features or audio commentary. I'm pretty sure that it was subbed only, but this was a few years ago and I'm going just by memory. I'd ask my friend for you, but he just disappeared one day, and I never heard back from him.

oh yes I keep meaning to mention your artwork is great!

Thanks bro! :wink: I'm having a one week only 15% off sale on my art prints. Spread the word. The details are in the marketplace.

wongfeihung62

THe HKL back catalogue is slowly being re-released by the Cine Asia label here in the UK. Many of the titles released can be found pretty cheap on Play.com.

hmm I haven't finished watching this movie but wondered if anyone else thought that the excessive speed up ruins the martial arts sequences? Like its to sped up and too quick?

oh my God, I'd take it this dub is not the original using spice girl nicknames for some of the characters at around the 68 – 69 min mark:squigglemouth:

not the classic kung fu movie I was expecting! Let's hope the final half hour or less is better!

has there ever been a fan made version with regular speed/slowed down to normal fight sequences of the odd couple?

Archived