Media Blasters strikes again! With delays...

OldPangYau

Well, it was only a matter of time. Both the blu-ray of Deadly Duo and the DVD of Kid With The Golden Arm have been pushed back from the end of April to May 11th. Could've been worse, I suppose. We could've found out a week before the release (or after), and it could've been a much longer delay. If it's only been pushed back about two weeks, then perhaps they're getting closer to getting the final date.

But still, a release shouldn't have to be delayed so many times after being announced the first time. :sad:

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Morgoth Bauglir

You'd think with all these delays, they could just release a different movie until KWTGA is ready for its release:squigglemouth:

You'd think with all these delays, they could just release a different movie until KWTGA is ready for its release:squigglemouth:

Didn't they do this last year around the releases of Martial Club and Brave Archer? Just moved onto the next release instead of push EVERYTHING back?

Also, in other news, this makes me laugh:

Heroes Two Media Blasters blu-ray

They can't even get Deadly Duo out on blu-ray, and they're already prepping another? And Heroes Two was interlaced on DVD. Any chance of a proper 1080p blu-ray? Emphasis on the "P"?

Didn't they do this last year around the releases of Martial Club and Brave Archer? Just moved onto the next release instead of push EVERYTHING back?

Also, in other news, this makes me laugh:

Heroes Two Media Blasters blu-ray

They can't even get Deadly Duo out on blu-ray, and they're already prepping another? And Heroes Two was interlaced on DVD. Any chance of a proper 1080p blu-ray? Emphasis on the "P"?

wait heroes two was interlaced? i thought linn hayes overlooked that whole project and some considered it the perfect r1 release?

Morgoth Bauglir

I'm pretty sure "interlaced" is a good thing, but I can't remember. I'm sure someone will fill us in...

Killer Meteor
I'm pretty sure "interlaced" is a good thing, but I can't remember. I'm sure someone will fill us in...

Interlaced is a bad thing, but unlike a lot of the goofs on HK DVDs, its one easy to miss because a lot of dvd players correct it.

Interlaced is where the video fields haven't been combined (ie. progressive) to retain the smoothness of film, because the dvd hasn't got a flag to tell the player to make it progressive.

Interlaced is a bad thing, but unlike a lot of the goofs on HK DVDs, its one easy to miss because a lot of dvd players correct it.

Interlaced is where the video fields haven't been combined (ie. progressive) to retain the smoothness of film, because the dvd hasn't got a flag to tell the player to make it progressive.

so are most Dragon dynasty and media blasters NOT interlaced though?

One day I'm bound to get one of these technical questions right. :tongue: Thanks Killer Meteor.

Im with you man! haha

Killer Meteor
so are most Dragon dynasty and media blasters NOT interlaced though?

Correct, only Heroes Two is interlaced of the Media Blasters.

I think all Dragon Dynasty's Shaws are progressive, but some of their other titles are not.

Sorry, didn't mean to confuse people last night... got back from a pretty damn hot date then and couldn't think straight :wink:

But ANYway, Heroes Two was a case of "proper interlacing". In other words, unlike the IVL DVDs, Media Blasters' Heroes Two DVD was played back at its proper film speed, but encoded/flagged to be at 30 interlaced frames per second. The IVL DVDs would be running at PAL speed and interlaced, causing ghosting... just like Dragon Dynasty's damn blu-ray of 36th Chamber of Shaolin (but not their DVD, which was progressive scan NTSC! DAMN IT!) But since Heroes Two was a "traditional" 24 frames per second to 30 interlaced frames transfer, most TVs deinterlace the picture. In short, it's not noticable on most regular TVS.

However, progressive scan still looks better as sometimes digital artifacting can occur more frequently with interlaced transfers. It's entirely possible that the blu-ray could be in progressive scan format, as Heroes Two was when Media Blasters first started releasing SB titles, when EVERY title they released beforehand for years were interlaced. It's like they learned with The Master... but of course, that was another "black sheep" due to being non-anamorphic.

So yes, starting with Challenge of the Masters, every SB title released by Media Blasters has been in 24p progressive scan and anamorphically enhanced. The Deadly Duo was another such title, so hopefully the blu-ray will follow suit... albeit in the 6x "larger-than-DVD" resolution.

It's painful being a "videophile" somedays :tongue: And how the road to Shaw Brothers blu-rays has been a bumpy one...

I think all Dragon Dynasty's Shaws are progressive, but some of their other titles are not.

All of Dragon Dynasty's DVD releases (so far) have been progressive scan... which made the situation regarding the blu-ray of 36th Chamber of Shaolin (INTERLACED PAL-to-NTSC transfer!) far more jarring.

OH great KWTGA is pushed back a month!! OH well not much we can do!! THat being said I will still buy it when it comes out.

I would laugh if that movie showed up at any of my local stores and Five Element Ninja hasn't. I finally broke down and ordered it from Amazon the other day!!

OH great KWTGA is pushed back a month!! OH well not much we can do!! THat being said I will still buy it when it comes out.

I would laugh if that movie showed up at any of my local stores and Five Element Ninja hasn't. I finally broke down and ordered it from Amazon the other day!!

Eh, technically just pushed back a couple of weeks. And the funny thing was, I started to see Five Element Ninjas pop up at FYE... AFTER I ordered it from DeepDiscount.com. Thankfully I finally got my copy a week ago.

Eh, technically just pushed back a couple of weeks. And the funny thing was, I started to see Five Element Ninjas pop up at FYE... AFTER I ordered it from DeepDiscount.com. Thankfully I finally got my copy a week ago.

Great news man!!

Indeed! Yet while their releases have been worth their wait... they shouldn't take advantage of that! They really need to stop putting up release dates until they know 100% (or at least 99%) when they can be released.

Interlaced is when 2 scanning fields of picture information are combined to create one picture frame which means only some portions of the picture is scanned at a time in a zigzag pattern from the top to the bottom leaving gaps the equivalent of omitting half the picture info.Once the scanning hits the base it starts all over again but this time from the bottom filling in the previous gaps with the remaining picture information on its way to the top;hence 2 scanning fields make one frame - interlaced (there is some maths involved but let's not get into that) but just imagine that the fingers on your hand are part of an image so when you lock your fingers together they complete the picture.This interlacing system is retained to accommodate old analogue equipment so they don't become obsolete overnight.

Progressive on the other hand is how digital images are processed so instead of scanning the picture information twice,the picture is processed " scanned " progressively from the top continuously to the base (no gaps)

with all the picture information then once it hits the base, it does NOT repeat scanning from the bottom instead it starts processing another fresh image from the top progressing again down to the base.This is almost similar to - though not quite - one full picture frame at a time hence a superior image.

Indeed! Yet while their releases have been worth their wait... they shouldn't take advantage of that! They really need to stop putting up release dates until they know 100% (or at least 99%) when they can be released.

I totally agree with you on that one. I would not be upset in the least even if I found out a month or two in advance. That way I wouldn't be waiting and then have to wait even a little longer!!

Archived