Zatoichi: The Last

daisho2004

Here is the trailer for the new Zatoichi film. I for one cannot wait to see this movie. I think the Zatoichi series is one of the best series ever created. And while the remakes have had there bad share of reviews, I have enjoyed them both. This one from Twitch.com states Zatoichi is married so that should be interesting. But I do have to agree that I don't think they should've cast Zatoichi as a younger Man. Unless it was called Zatoichi the beginning! I just hope this isn't the end of a great character. The 2 remakes that were made I wish they both did have a sequel to them.

http://twitchfilm.net/news/2010/03/smaps-shingo-katori-is-zatoichi-the-last.php

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Casting the younger guy was probably a marketing move to get younger people to the theater. I have to say it looks pretty badass, looks to hold a little tighter to the original than the Beat Takeshi one, got to love more Zatoichi:nerd:

Tosh: I do have to agree with you this movie does look bad-ass! Its about time we get a Japanese movie that's looks like a throwback to the classic one's.

Not bad. Not bad at all. :bigsmile: I'm also really looking forward to seeing this movie. It does look like a younger Zatoichi, but at least he looks like Zatoichi should (sorry Billy Idol, I mean Beat Takeshi fans :tongue:). The fights look well staged and choreographed and you can't beat that supporting cast with the legendary Tatsuya Nakadai and the always moody and intense Yoshio Harada! If it's as good as ICHI was, I'll be one happy camper! :bigsmile:

Guest WuxiaFan

I think it looks good, too, so I'm definately looking forward to this one. I'm not crazy about casting these pop stars in these roles, but Rain surprised me with how good he was in NINJA ASSASSIN. So, I'm hopeful that Shingo Katori will surprise me, too. From the small amount in the trailer, I didn't think Katori's swordplay looked that fluid and natural. That's one thing that Beat had down pat - his swordplay in ZATOICHI (2003) was superb, despite his hair (which I think was still pretty cool myself).

:15_002:

I think this is going to be a big hit in Japan and everywhere else for all those Zatoichi fans out there.

That really Sucks! But I did talk with Merlin over @ SamuraiDVD.com and he is getting it and going to subtitle it for us fans!

Guest WuxiaFan
That really Sucks! But I did talk with Merlin over @ SamuraiDVD.com and he is getting it and going to subtitle it for us fans!

That's awesome! Let us know when it becomes available!

:laluot_26:

I'm very curious as to why it is called Zatoichi: The Last I was kinda hoping for a reboot of this character. And I did enjoy the last to movies that were made.

I'm very curious as to why it is called Zatoichi: The Last I was kinda hoping for a reboot of this character. And I did enjoy the last to movies that were made.

It's called "Zatoichi: The Last" because that's exactly what it's meant to be. Prior to filming it was announced that this would be the final incarnation of the character across any media.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this movie. From everything I've seen and read, it seems to have stayed true to the spirit of the character as created by writer Kan Shimozawa and portrayed to perfection by Shintaro Katsu.

It's called "Zatoichi: The Last" because that's exactly what it's meant to be. Prior to filming it was announced that this would be the final incarnation of the character across any media.

I read that also I just didn't want it to be true. I was hoping that it was going to get a total reboot.

See I liked the movie Zatoichi 89', or Zatoichi #26 I loved the movie I just wished it ended on a better note, I wish he had stayed with the Orphan Children and finally found a place to life out his remaining days. Still a great movie, but I did see the last TV episode that Merlin over at SamuraiDVD.com subtitled and I really didn't like that one at all. To me it was one of the worst ones ever, still just my own opinion.

I want to check this out but I want to go back and watch the original films first but there is so many that I don't even know where to begin. I know this has probably been asked on here 1000x but does anybody point me in the right direction?

OpiumKungFuCracker
I want to check this out but I want to go back and watch the original films first but there is so many that I don't even know where to begin. I know this has probably been asked on here 1000x but does anybody point me in the right direction?

There are so many and never the time for me to seek out and watch them as well... They should change 24hrs a day to 48 hrs a day....

I know this has probably been asked on here 1000x

QueMuchita: You are right it has been, lol but if I was you I would just start in order from #'s 1-26, everyone has there Personal favorites, mine is #20 The Festival of Fire this is where you meet The Dark Imperial Lord so that is my advice to you.

Watch the first 4-5 movies then there really isn't any continuity from there(the first 3 really if I can remember right), good thing is they're all pretty consistant, all the movies follow dang near the same story line but it's done so well you'll want more.

I forgot all about this one!

My Review Will Contain Spoilers!:

OK I received my copy from Merlin today and I just finished watching the movie. Now I really did have mixed feelings about this movie. 1st. Off I'm a huge fan of all the Zatoichi movies. This one was good and yes it does stand on its own as a new take on him. I thought his character was a little to young but I can see why they went this route. It pretty much stuck to the same old storyline Zatoichi trying to live a normal life but he always gets caught up in something. This Zaotichi did get his ass beat up more than I've seen in previous movies. And I was kinda hoping for more blood, there was a good amount of action more so in the beginning and in the end but no blood. I thought we'd atleast have that. I really was hoping that there would be more movies about Zatoichi but I guess they don't want to make them anymore, his character is so great. This should've been Zatoichi the Beginning.... I didn't like how this movie ended, how they finished off his character. That is what really bothers me, and his skill was good but nothing like Shintaro Katsu's.

Overall a good movie, and it is a most add to any collection of Zatoichi films.

I wonder how Shintaro Katsu would've felt about this new movie? I don't think he'd have been happy that's for sure.

My Review Will Contain Spoilers!:

I wonder how Shintaro Katsu would've felt about this new movie? I don't think he'd have been happy that's for sure.

I haven't seen the film yet myself, but that doesn't bode well. :squigglemouth:

I hated the Beat Takeshi version but I loved the ICHI film which sort of did for Zatoichi what "The Mask of Zorro" did for Zorro by having the original Zatoichi (a Katsu look-a-like shown in flashbacks) training the next one (possibly his daughter). Really cleaver I thought and a good film all around. Was hoping ZATOICHI THE LAST might somehow tie into ICHI since Zatoichi is married in the film and might have a daughter, but now I'm guessing that's not the case, huh? Always figured Zatoichi was gonna bite the dust in this movie considering the title is "The Last", so I don't think that's a spoiler really. Anyway thanks for the rundown. I'm still looking forward to seeing it for myself.

Archived