Rate Jackie's movies of the last decade from Best to Worst

vbs85

I have a problem with rating movies like this.

The movies I really liked and have/can see many times: Shanghai & Rush Hour series, New Police Story, The Forbidden Kingdom.

The ones that was ok, and can be enjoyable from time to time: The Accidental Spy, The Myth and maybe Around The World In 80 Days.

Didnt really like, but will probably see again once I have forgotten how they were: The Medallion & Rob-B-Hood

I have the blurays but havent yet watched Little Big Soldier and The Shinjuku Incident. Havent seen The Tuxedo since it came out and can hardly remember anything from it so I wont rate it though I do remember it kinda sucked lol

But you cant really compare these movies to most of Jackie absolute best from the time 1978-1998/1999

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A lot of disappointments in this decade for Jackie, I'll start from bottom to top by years - otherwise I'll get confused :)...

No need to put yourself through that... Starting at the bottom is all you need do...

'cause that's simply where you'll end up when you finish!

:xd:

Heywood Jahitme

I enjoyed Little Big Soldier more for the laughs and drama rather than the action, which caught me off guard. This puts it ahead of Shinjuku Incident for me.

9/10

Rob-B-Hood (2006)

8/10

Shinjuku Incident (2009)

New Police Story (2004)

7.5/10

The Accidental Spy (2001)

Around the World in 80 Days (2004)

Shanghai Noon (2000)

7/10

The Forbidden Kingdom (2008)

Rush Hour 2 (2001)

Rush Hour 3 (2007)

Shanghai Knights (2003)

6.5/10

The Medallion (2003)

The Myth (2005)

4.0/10

The Tuxedo (2002)

I'm sure most of you will flame me for this :)

Crap list: this is where the fast-forwarding is your friend

-The Tuxedo: the only thing that saves this movie is my obsession with Jennifer Love Hewitt

-Rush Hour 3: not even a single laughable moment

-The Medallion: crap

-The Spy next door: crap

-Rob-B-Hood: my ex stole my copy and boy was I glad that happened.

Watchable list:

-Shanghai Noon meh

-Shanghai Knights: the sequence with the umbrella is a great homage. Other than that Owen Wilson is annoying and his broken nose is distracting.

-Around the World in 80 Days: funded by the same guys that discriminate against Drunken Master 2, you cant expect much. The reason it's on watchable list is because of Arnold and Sammo cameo.

-The Myth: I found it decent except for the cave's part.

-Forbidden Kingdom: so many great would-be-ideas, but it turns to crap because of Hollywood procedure. If this movie was funded by Jackie I bet he would spend extra time and money to reshoot some of the fighting sequence.

-Shinjuku Incident: jackie turns dramatic actor

Somewhat decent:

-New Police Story: reminds me a lot about Crime Story, i rank this movie highly because the supporting casts are awesome.

-Karate Kid: lots of value here

-Little big soldier: packs plenty of fun moments to a mediocre plot

Highly recommend:

-Rush hour 2: actual funny Chris Tucker-Jackie Chan chemistry, add in Zhang Ziyi, to me this is Jackie's only successful immigration to Hollywood.

-Accidental Spy: Ok, this movie definitely has a lot of problems, however this movie ranks highly on my list because Jackie actually TRIES really hard in this movie, the car sequence is a straight-up ripoff Speed but who cares, this is Jackie most energetic role of the last decade.

9/10

Rob-B-Hood (2006)

Wow

Highly recommend:

-Rush hour 2: actual funny Chris Tucker-Jackie Chan chemistry, add in Zhang Ziyi, to me this is Jackie's only successful immigration to Hollywood.

Wow

I agree with some of your other ratings (both of you), but to rate these two films so high is something I disagree with. RH2 to me was not funny at all. The action was less exciting too. And Rob-B-Hood just didn't do much for me. Of course we are all entitled to our opinions as I know people are baffled at some of my ratings too.

To me Rob-B-Hood is a good piece of film. Not just judging on stunts and fights. The emotional story actually works and is funny and sad. It feels like a contemporary take on the the pre Rush Hour era Jackie movie, and a step up on (the still very strong) New Police Story. The cast is superb too.

While I liked Rush Hour 2 it feels too contrived a film. A safe, typical sequel with more money thrown at it (RH3 was even more so, just with trashy production values and fewer laughs).

I'm still waiting to see Little Big Soldier, Karate Kid - which I hope is as good as it looks in the trailer - and Spy Next Door (when it comes out to rent in the UK).

Edit: I'm referring to the Festival/Extended cut of Rob-B-Hood.

Between 2000-2010 Little Big Soldier and Karate Kid are his best. With Shinjuku Incident, New Police Story close behind. Forbidden Kingdom would own if it came out like 10 years earlier.

To me Rob-B-Hood is a good piece of film. Not just judging on stunts and fights. The emotional story actually works and is funny and sad. It feels like a contemporary take on the the pre Rush Hour era Jackie movie, and a step up on (the still very strong) New Police Story. The cast is superb too.

While I liked Rush Hour 2 it feels too contrived a film. A safe, typical sequel with more money thrown at it (RH3 was even more so, just with trashy production values and fewer laughs).

I'm still waiting to see Little Big Soldier, Karate Kid - which I hope is as good as it looks in the trailer - and Spy Next Door (when it comes out to rent in the UK).

Edit: I'm referring to the Festival/Extended cut of Rob-B-Hood.

Yeah, the emotional story is good, but i hated the over-the-top final 10 minutes or so. And the bad joke from Daniel Wu in the middle. groaners. To me NPS was more solid with less groan moments. I am also excited about LBS and KK.

It can't be as bad as the melodrama in Pedicab Driver. Way out of place in that style of action comedy I thought. But I know what you mean about a dramatic change in tone that can totally throw you when you're really into a film!

EDIT: Btw I'm hoping for great things with LBS - I thoroughly enjoyed The Underdog Knight so was pleased to see Jackie working with Ding Sheng on this and future projects too.

It can't be as bad as the melodrama in Pedicab Driver.

LOL. True true, that movie is wacky uneven.

Guest HongKongMaster

New Police Story: 7/10

Shanghai Noon: 9/10

Shanghai Knights: 8/10

Rush Hour: 9/10

Rush Hour 2: 8.5/10

Rush Hour 3: 6.5/10

The Forbidden Kingdom: 7/10

The Myth: 7/10

Robin-B-Hood: 7/10

Around the World in 80 Days: 8/10

The Accidental Spy: 7.5/10

The Medallion: 8/10

The Tuxedo: 6/10

The Karate Kid: 8/10

Spy Next Door: 7/10

Little Big Soldier: 8.5/10

Drunken Master 2: 10/10

Gorgeous: 9/10

Who am I: 9/10

Mr Nice guy: 9/10

Rumble in the bronx: 9/10

Twin Dragons: 9/10

Armor of God 2: 9/10

Jackie Chan's first strike: 8/10

Thunderbolt: 8/10

Crime Story: 8/10

Police Story 3: 7/10

City Hunter: 6/10

Island of Fire: 10/10

Police Story: 10/10

Police Story 2: 10/10

Miracles: 10/10

Dragons forever: 10/10

Project A: 10/10

Twinkle Twinkle lucky stars: 10/10

Wheals on Meals: 10/10

The Young Master: 10/10

Project A2: 9/10

Heart of Dragon: 9/10

My Lucky Stars: 9/10

Armor of God: 8/10

Dragon Lord: 8/10

The Protector: 6/10

Big brawl: 4/10

Fearless Hyena: 10/10

Dragon Fist: 10/10

Drunken Master: 10/10

Snake in the eagle's shadow: 10/10

Shaolin Wooden Men: 8/10

Spiritual Kungfu: 7/10

Half a loaf of Kung Fu: 7/10

Snake and crane art of shaolin: 7/10

To Kill With Intrigue: 4/10

Killer Meteor: 4/10

Magnificent bodyguard: 4/10

Hands of death: 4/10

New fist of fury: 4/10

I have to admit as much as I've ragged on Jackies newer movies there are some entertainment value, just none of them ever inspire to be anything more than popcorn flicks, for what it's worth I've enjoyed the Shanghai Noon and Rush Hour movies(even though Chris Tucker still grates on my nerves), hell I even liked the Tuxedo, still give me one of his older movies anyday.

Benny Chan (director of Who Am I?, Gen-X Cops, New police Story & Rob-B-Hood) is teaming up with Jackie again..

No idea when its out tho...

from best to worst, roughly speaking... (starring roles only!)

Shinjuku Incident

The Forbidden Kingdom

Shanghai Noon

Rush Hour 2

Shanghai Knights

New Police Story

Rob-B-Hood

The Karate Kid

The Accidental Spy

Around the World in 80 Days

The Myth

The Tuxedo

Rush Hour 3

The Spy Next Door

The Medallion

Haven't seen Little Big Soldier yet. and to Luckystars, that teaser is for Benny Chan's upcoming film Shaolin, it should be out by the end of this year, but Jackie is only doing a cameo in it. Andy Lau and Nicholas Tse are the main stars. Jackie just sent out a greeting for the New York Asian Film Festival saying he couldn't make it because he was gearing up to work on his new movie, hopefully he's referring to Armour of God 3!

Improvisation

No matter what, Rob-B-Hood should be at the bottom of any Jackie Chan list, whether of the last decade or of his entire career. As Mark Pollard said,

"I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Jackie Chan needs to start acting his age if he doesn’t want to end up laughed at. As an action star, he should be remembered for work like POLICE STORY and DRUNKEN MASTER 2, not ROB-B-HOOD. Yet he seems determined to reinvent himself as a has-been. If he keeps this up, he’ll succeed."

Amen.

Shanghai Noon - 4/5

Rush Hour 2 - 3/5

The Tuxedo - 1/5

Shanghai Knights - 3.5/5

New Police Story - 2/5

The Myth - 2/5

Rush Hour 3 - 2.5/5

The Forbidden Kingdom - 3/5

Shinjuku Incident - 3.5/5

Little Big Soldier - 4/5

No matter what, Rob-B-Hood should be at the bottom of any Jackie Chan list, whether of the last decade or of his entire career. As Mark Pollard said,

"I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Jackie Chan needs to start acting his age if he doesn’t want to end up laughed at. As an action star, he should be remembered for work like POLICE STORY and DRUNKEN MASTER 2, not ROB-B-HOOD. Yet he seems determined to reinvent himself as a has-been. If he keeps this up, he’ll succeed."

Amen.

That quotes absolute rubbish. Jackie's always been a perfect and versatile all rounder (in front and behind the camera, even singing the theme), not simply an action star.

make believe
It can't be as bad as the melodrama in Pedicab Driver. Way out of place in that style of action comedy I thought. But I know what you mean about a dramatic change in tone that can totally throw you when you're really into a film!

Pedicab Driver is a pretty perfect movie, melodrama and all. The movie had it all - action, comedy , drama - in good amounts and done well.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Shinjuku Incident. is the R1 disc good or am I better off getting another version?

make believe
from best to worst, roughly speaking... (starring roles only!)

Jackie just sent out a greeting for the New York Asian Film Festival saying he couldn't make it because he was gearing up to work on his new movie, hopefully he's referring to Armour of God 3!

Considering his best years are behind him, do you really think Armour of God 3 has a chance of being that good?

Pedicab does have a lot going for it don't get me wrong, but the drama felt over done to me.

I read Chinese Zodiac was pushed back in Jackies schedule to allow him to promote Karate Kid and that filming would commence in September I think.

After watching The Spy Next Door today, my hopes for AoG3/Chinese Zodiac ain't really that high.

His jumps and acrobatics looked fake and I think I saw him being doubled a few times.

Archived