Question about Mystery of Chess Boxing

SunChien

During the film, there's a part where Li I Min's character goes back to the school to ask about the cook (Simon Yuen) and the two guys at the door tell him he's dead, just wondering is there a full uncut version where they show him getting killed and secondly how did Li I Min get beaten up? As in the next scene when he's talking to Jack Long, he's got bruises on him.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ninja Sinai

I remember I once brought this up in a conversation with Linn on this exact same issue.. and he said there maybe a version that had the fight between Ghost Face Killer vs The Cook (Yuen Siu Tin), that shows The Cook getting killed, followed Lee Yi Min getting beaten up by several people.

He told me that Joseph Kou had about several different versions for most of his movies, all with extra screnes that other versions didnt have, and different edits etc.

Heck I know ive seen at least 3 different versions of World Of The Drunken Master, with different endings, different edits, and extra scenes.

However I doubt any English collector has the version of Mystery Of Chess Boxing with the said fight scenes.

NOW that is one RARE that I WOULD def pay £100 for!!!!

There's a time-coded, widescreen, mandarin version with eng subs floating about that claims to be uncut.

I'm thinking that I got a copy of this years ago. Will try and locate it, give it a watch and let ya know

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Yeah, I have this version too. I will try to check it out tonight or tomorrow.

Yep, unfortunately I can confirm the same. Just watched the version that i've had for years, and it doesn't have any extra scenes :sad:

The fullscreen runs like this, the timecoded wide does & so did the print I saw on reels at a cinema screening... That's three different versions. I guess it just runs like this.

Bronx Rican

Obviously, anything could have happened with flicks like these floating around the world in various cuts, but even with all the matchups in this flick, I don't believe there was a fight with Simon Yuen. Remember how they played out the aftermath: Ghost makes a production out of crossing off the cook's name from his list, and then they cut to the cook's dead body; I'm sure that was intentional. As for the second one, looks like a big, fat continuity error, but someone went through the trouble of giving Li the "beat up" makeup, so there had to be a related scene somewhere that was cut.

Archived