Storm Warriors (2009) - Thoughts?

Karlos

Hi all :bigsmile:

Haven't seen a thread up on this, but as it's now out on DVD I wanted to see what you all thought of it.

As many of you might not have checked it out yet I won't go into spoilers - let's just say I'm glad I didn't get my hopes up with this one!!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't been hyped by the movie since seeing the trailers. I saw the first movie quite some time ago and it was marginally decent.

I really liked the first movie, but I haven't seen it in ages - so I don't know how well stuff like the special effects have held up.

Anyway, I have Storm Warriors sitting at home and will be doing a review soon. But from what I have heard, it's not all that great, due a lot to the Pang brother's direction and a sloppy script that depends too much on people previously seeing Storm Riders and the animated movie.

One Armed Boxer

I think I'll pass on this one as well....I was almost going to go for the DVD seeing as how hkflix is selling a special holographic cover version (I'm a sucker for limited edition stuff)...but I don't think I've come across a movie in a long time that, regardless what website you go to, get's so completely and utterly panned!

Having just read Mark's review, I gotta say, he nailed it - as ever!!

The film just doesn't work - OK, it's a gorgeous looking film at times, but still!!!

As a fan of the comic,s I would be interested in seeing a pt 3 but a) by someone other than the Pang Bros, and B) before 2020!! :tongue:

Drunken Monk

I actually have this sitting in my DVD player as we speak but I have yet to view it. I've read many reviews and most come to the same conclusion; that it's a very underwhelming film.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
I think I'll pass on this one as well....I was almost going to go for the DVD seeing as how hkflix is selling a special holographic cover version (I'm a sucker for limited edition stuff)...but I don't think I've come across a movie in a long time that, regardless what website you go to, get's so completely and utterly panned!

I hear you. I remember the last time I got all excited about a special boxed set with all kinds of frills... it was TWINS EFFECT 2! :sad:

Great box and miniature sword, but....:neutral:

I know most people thought the original TWINS EFFECT wasn't very good, so why did I bother with part 2? Well, I found it to be a really entertainingly bad B-movie with a bunch of stars, and after hearing that JC would fight Donnie Yen... and then the added attraction of the "special collecter's edition"... I just had to have it. -sigh- :crossedlips:

Just finished the movie - not very good at all.

The story is total rubbish. It basically makes no recall to the first film or the anime, so if you haven't seen at least one of them, you're going to be lost here in regards to the characters. Even if you can forgive that, the story itself - which is really basic stuff - still feels incomplete. After 110 minutes, you'll still get an unfufilled feeling, especially since the ending offers no resolution at all, probably to leave everything open for a sequel.

I wasn't expecting much from the acting - Ekin Cheng and Aaron Kwok aren't high on my list of HK actors, but everyone here just looks so bored.

What should be the movie's saving grace, the effects and action, really aren't that special. The whole thing reminded me of a video game cutscene - actually given how good video game tech is now with games like Uncharted 2 and Heavy Rain, it didn't even look great in that regard. Plus the Pangs employ the over-used 300 comic-book technique. Enough already.

I'm still mulling over things to write a final review, but for now, I'm giving it a 4 out of 10, and that's probably being generous.

One Armed Boxer
I hear you. I remember the last time I got all excited about a special boxed set with all kinds of frills... it was TWINS EFFECT 2!

Great box and miniature sword, but....

Ha ha, yeah not even a minature sword could redeem that film.

My worst choice of buying a film blind just for the limited goodies it comes with was 'The Myth'...the God awful Jackie Chan movie, and not even a minature Terra-Cotta warrior figure that you have to excavate yourself (yes you read right...I guess the tie-in is that Chan plays an archeologist) could make me feel better about the money that was spent.

The original 'Kung-Fu Hustle' limited box was a classic though, as was the original Korean limited set of 'OldBoy'.

Now I'm living in Tokyo...and literally every film in Japan comes out as a limited release of some kind for ridiculous amounts of money. For example the 'Red Cliff 1 & 2' box set amounts to about $200US, but you get a whole bunch of Kubrick figures to play with, posters, I think maybe a t-shirt, and a bunch of other stuff!

Yeah, I must say I have to agree with everyone above. There was just something lacking from the film. It didn't really seem to have much direction, and there was very little in the way of well coreographed action! :squigglemouth:

I dread to think what it must've been like to act in the movie too!

Director - "Just stand there in the same pose for 25 minutes in front of that green screen, and we'll do the rest"

On the plus side, it's good to see that Aaron and Ekin still look like they've "just stepped out of a salon!" :wink:

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
The original 'Kung-Fu Hustle' limited box was a classic though, as was the original Korean limited set of 'OldBoy'.

My friend has the OLDBOY one- it looks like the purple wrapped "gift" from the film- and it's crazy cool.

I dread to think what it must've been like to act in the movie too!

Director - "Just stand there in the same pose for 25 minutes in front of that green screen, and we'll do the rest"

:xd: Funny!

So the best thing to come out of the film was the Enterbay figures huh? If you haven't seen them, they are extraordinary! The sculpts are so realistic it's amazing. This is the same company that put out the greatest Bruce Lee figures ever made.

So the best thing to come out of the film was the Enterbay figures huh? If you haven't seen them, they are extraordinary! The sculpts are so realistic it's amazing. This is the same company that put out the greatest Bruce Lee figures ever made.

Quite possibly! :xd: They do look very damn cool to say the least...

stormwarriors1.jpg

BTW - hopefully they can release a proper 'Storm Riders II' and and palm off Storm Warriors as something slightly unrelated or a branch off!

(might take a bit of doing when it's already called 風雲II) :wink:

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Quite possibly! :xd: They do look very damn cool to say the least...

The closeups of these look like the actual actors!

My main problem with the film is that suffers from a common problem with CGI fests: having actors stand around and stare at effects instead of effects supplementing the action. There were some big plot holes and it could have moved faster. And let's be frank, one doesn't see a movie staring a bunch of 40-year old actors/popstars expecting great Kung Fu fights.

Other than that, I liked it well enough. It had a good story arc and left open the possibility of a third movie (maybe Nic Tse versus the children of Ekin and Charlene and Aaron and ?). The characters had internal motivations and complex relationships with other characters. It also had inventive and world-class quality CGI.

Found it to be a total snooze-fest. By the final half-hour, I no longer cared who was doing what to whom for which reason. The Pang brothers would struggle to direct traffic on the M1, putting together a large budget SFX movie is out of their league. At least the first one moved at a decent pace and had Sonny Chiba; this had no soul and a bunch of CGI nonsense.

Found it to be a total snooze-fest. By the final half-hour, I no longer cared who was doing what to whom for which reason. The Pang brothers would struggle to direct traffic on the M1, putting together a large budget SFX movie is out of their league. At least the first one moved at a decent pace and had Sonny Chiba; this had no soul and a bunch of CGI nonsense.

me too :sad:

I'm sure I will lose all credibility for saying this but you know what? I actually enjoyed this movie. Yes it had some cardboard cut out characters and some pretty uninspired dialougue that could have been written by a 10 year old, but I got a kick out of seeing Aaron Kwok and Ekin Cheng team up again and thought some of the set pieces were pretty exciting. But yeah, that last sequence did seem to overextend its welcome slightly.

Have to say it was 10x better than both transformers movies put together if you want to make a comparison to similar affair!

Looks like Storm Warriors is being released in the UK by Cine Asia as mentioned by Bey Logan on the news page.

Might pick this up when it is in the bargain bins! :tongue:

UPDATE: Bey Logan has just finished recording the commentary

Archived