Ted Thomas Interview and Shaw Dubbing

David Rees

Found an old Impact magazine where there is an interview with broadcaster Ted Thomas where he talks about Bruce Lee and Dubbing of films.

he says " Back in the late 50's(!) we formed a dubbing company which dubbed over a thousand movies from Chinese into English, it was a torturous job. We learnt by trail and error but became the definitive company, we were the only ones doing it."

Interesting stuff...why would Shaws or any other company want to dub there films into English, surely there wasnt any way they was to know there would be demand years later?

He says of Bruce:

" Everything he did was showbiz. I dont know how he would have faired against some of the great fighters. By fighters i mean guys who can get in there and make a mess of somebody. I rather suspect not too well. I had a little fracas with him once when we we having an argument about boxers vs gung fu men. I said boxer will always wear out gung fu fighters because they are so quick, so he said come on try and hit me, so i hit him!

He didnt move his head which amazed me and he had a cut on his lip. The picture ive got of Bruce is him holding his lip and saying to me you would never do that again because you drop your left shoulder when you hit, i said who doesnt?

He gave a lot of national pride back to the Chinese people, that was a tremendous achievement and that should be his epitaph"

Controversial views but hey, he met the man, interviewed him several times so is entitled to his opinion!

• Like 2

I found the Ted Thomas interview on YouTube, and it was fascinating to listen to one of the Shaw dubbers (one of my favorites, IMO) talk outside of a dub. I never knew the identity of that voice actor for the longest time, and it's great to at least know his name now. Ted always had a very distinctive voice.

• Like 1

does anyone else not buy the story of this guy punching bruce in the mouth? bruce lee was an expert at moving his head. dana white even calls him the father of mixed martial arts. something seems fishy with this story

Here is the interview by Ted Thomas, does any have a picture of him?

He is that one guy from a billion kung fu and Godzilla/Toho films.

• Like 1

Killer Meteor
gfanikf said:

Ah, yes, HIM!

Unusual accent, I can't place it. Its very...purry!

Here is a video APPARENTLY showing various shots of Bruce Lee and Ted Thomas during the mouth-punching incident:

I would love to find out more about these Omni dubbers, at least their names.

douggorius said:
Here is a video showing various shots of Bruce Lee and Ted Thomas during the mouth-punching incident:

I would love to find out more about these Omni dubbers, at least their names.

grrrr hahah these are just posed shots .. you really think this is the moment he punched bruce in the mouth , while wearing a suit and crammed in the corner of an office? and thats all it took to determine that he wouldnt fair well in a fight. i cry foul.

and anyways i could probably hit a prime mike tyson in the mouth in a strange crammed improptu situation but that doesnt mean he wouldnt rip my beating heart out of my chest and most men in a fight

does anyone else not buy the story of this guy punching bruce in the mouth? bruce lee was an expert at moving his head. dana white even calls him the father of mixed martial arts. something seems fishy with this story

If,I as shitty as I am in martial arts,can on reflex,stop random punches and strike back even before the punch was not even close to hitting me based on Bruce's philosophy then the man who perfected the Way Of The Intercepting Fist who can pick coins out of people's palms before they close their fists,would know that someone is going to hit him,yet sit there till the punch lands giving him a bloody lip in the bargain just to prove what...........with Bruce Lee's ego at that time........I say this statement is KAKA.

Ask The Dragon's students, friends and people who used to spar with him what happens when they land a lucky strike.........dial emergency.Bruce keeps still for NO MAN." boards don't hit back " This man had tremendous spontaneous reaction.

• Like 1

Ask The Dragon's students, friends and people who used to spar with him what happens when they land a lucky strike.........dial emergency.Bruce keeps still for NO MAN." boards don't hit back " This man had tremendous spontaneous reaction.

Well... Yeah!?:angel: Although as time passes people's accounts and memories change... 20yrs ago, he might have said, "I nearly nipped Bruce on he lip."

10yrs from now it'll be, "I actually knocked him unconscious!"

:nerd:

I think its bullshit too, but interesting read.

Was also reading an interview with Benny The Jet and he says just by looking at Bruce and speaking with his brother who trained with Bruce (apparently he used to say im training with Kato!) he would have been a world class fighter in the ring at his weight. I know who's opinion i would go for!

• Like 1

Shaolin Patriot
gfanikf said:

Does anyone know if Ted is still around? It would be great if one of the Shaw US distributors can get an interview with him for an upcoming release.

Eastern Evil said:
I have to bump this for Skeleton Claw - thank you for all you have done!

Thanks. If bruce could punch a man and send his butt back a couple of feet I doubt he would allow himself to be punched. I remember reading somebody was fighting bruce on the set and they kicked and made contact.well suffice to say the kicker ended up in the hospital for three weeks as the fury of bruce was unleashed. So who knows.

Skeleton Claw
Eastern Evil said:
I have to bump this for Skeleton Claw - thank you for all you have done!

That was great! Thanks!

Now someone needs to do a compilation of his Shaw work.

• Like 1

Eastern Evil
Killer Meteor said:

He certainly sounds familiar! :biggrin:

I've heard that voice as Fu Sheng - Chinatown Kid maybe?

• Like 1

Killer Meteor
He certainly sounds familiar! :biggrin:

I've heard that voice as Fu Sheng - Chinatown Kid maybe?

He's Fu Sheng in Heroes Two.

• Like 1

Eastern Evil
He is also the voice of Chen Kuan Tai in The Master/3 Evil Masters i think.

Oh, he's been around, you know that :wink2:

It'd be nice to compile a list of the roles the voice guys & gals did - sometimes more than one voice in a film.

• Like 1

Omni Dragon
On 25/07/2017 at 6:12 PM, panku said:

Thanks for posting that link @panku. That interview tells a lot of great stories about Ted himself, the dubbing process, Run Run Shaw and even why “but still” and “so then” was used so much. Also makes me want to see some of those Japanese SFX films mentioned. I know very little of that genre, will be kind of funny if I get into that kind of movie just because of the dubbing. I'd also like to see Zatoichi movies with English dubs. Never knew any dubs where done for them, personally the only releases I've come across are Japanese with English subtitles.

It also inspired me to search the web for more on Ted.

I found this article on him: http://www.scmp.com/magazines/post-magazine/article/1599506/my-life-ted-thomas

I these are profiles of his: https://www.facebook.com/ted.thomas.1610?hc_ref=ARTqwh3qi6FkQGG_Y3kk4tdjTOwt7Iccju-mstXJTmpljyT-bo7JHof8QTUlTiyRVBg 

https://hk.linkedin.com/in/ted-thomas-b2766742

imdb acting credits: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2786742/?ref_=tt_cl_t14

(Is he credited for The Mighty Peking Man on hkmdb? The sites down for me at the moment)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Silver and Gold Dragon said:

Thanks for posting that link @panku. That interview tells a lot of great stories about Ted himself, the dubbing process, Run Run Shaw and even why “but still” and “so then” was used so much. Also makes me want to see some of those Japanese SFX films mentioned. I know very little of that genre, will be kind of funny if I get into that kind of movie just because of the dubbing. I'd also like to see Zatoichi movies with English dubs. Never knew any dubs where done for them, personally the only releases I've come across are Japanese with English subtitles.

It also inspired me to search the web for more on Ted.

I found this article on him: http://www.scmp.com/magazines/post-magazine/article/1599506/my-life-ted-thomas

I these are profiles of his: https://www.facebook.com/ted.thomas.1610?hc_ref=ARTqwh3qi6FkQGG_Y3kk4tdjTOwt7Iccju-mstXJTmpljyT-bo7JHof8QTUlTiyRVBg 

https://hk.linkedin.com/in/ted-thomas-b2766742

imdb acting credits: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2786742/?ref_=tt_cl_t14

(Is he credited for The Mighty Peking Man on hkmdb? The sites down for me at the moment)

Thanks for posting some more links.

He is listed as Theodore Thomas in Mighty Peking Man on hkmdb.

Here are clips of some of the English dubbers and an attempt to identify them:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwj8De7TDUyQLAVT5YeHr6A/videos

Bruce Lee interviewed by Ted Thomas in 1972

Edited by panku
  • Like 4