Domerman Cop and Machine Gun Dragon?

Morgoth Bauglir

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From my understanding, that set is DUBBED. So I wouldn't bother with it. Doberman Cop is a fun Fukasaku film where Sonny Chiba plays a Japanese redneck pretty much, with a pet pig.:xd: I got an old bootleg of it on DVD that came off a VHS originally, but there's a new kurotokagi bootleg out that's from the recently released Japanese DVD. I'd suggest going for that instead.

If you guys are talking about the new set that isn't supposed to be out until March 9th from First Look Pictures, then Doberman Cop and Machine Gun Dragon are actually subtitled. Someone on this board e-mailed them and they said one of the other four films in the set is the only one dubbed.

I e-mailed them as well as was told the same and that they would be widescreen as well. I wonder if it will anamorphic though.

If you guys are talking about the new set that isn't supposed to be out until March 9th from First Look Pictures, then Doberman Cop and Machine Gun Dragon are actually subtitled. Someone on this board e-mailed them and they said one of the other four films in the set is the only one dubbed.

I e-mailed them as well as was told the same and that they would be widescreen as well. I wonder if it will anamorphic though.

That would be it but every place is saying it's Dubbed. http://www.amazon.com/Sonny-Chiba-4-Film-Set/dp/B002WNU0OE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1267329621&sr=1-1

Amazon says English, doesn't mention subtitles. And from DVDAf...

Sonny Chiba 4 Film Set (Dubbed)

- Machine Gun Dragon ( Yokohama ankokugai mashingan no ryu ) (1978)

- Fighting Fist ( Ba dao zong heng ) (1992)

- Doberman Cop ( ドーベルマン刑事 ) ( Doberuman deka ) ( Doberman Detective ) (1977)

- Soul of Bruce Lee ( Gekisatsu! Judo ken ) (1977)

So if what you say is true then both those sites are lying.

That would be it but every place is saying it's Dubbed. http://www.amazon.com/Sonny-Chiba-4-Film-Set/dp/B002WNU0OE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1267329621&sr=1-1

Amazon says English, doesn't mention subtitles. And from DVDAf...

Sonny Chiba 4 Film Set (Dubbed)

- Machine Gun Dragon ( Yokohama ankokugai mashingan no ryu ) (1978)

- Fighting Fist ( Ba dao zong heng ) (1992)

- Doberman Cop ( ドーベルマン刑事 ) ( Doberuman deka ) ( Doberman Detective ) (1977)

- Soul of Bruce Lee ( Gekisatsu! Judo ken ) (1977)

So if what you say is true then both those sites are lying.

I spoke to a rep. Machine Gun & Doberman are supposed to be wide & subbed.

Morgoth Bauglir

First Look PIctures? The DVD case says Videoasia. Maybe they are using a new name, kinda like Red SUn always changes their name? To avoid legal troubles maybe?:ooh::crossedlips:

Morgoth Bauglir

Got this today. The box doesn't say if they are anamorphic, and my TV isn't anamorphic, so I can't say. They probably aren't. Videoasia always releases quantity over quality.

Soul of Chiba is in English, the rest are subbed. All are widescreen.

Soul of Chiba- bad movie with some really good action. I rate it 6/10.

Doberman Cop- I agree, fun movie. Not great, but not too bad. 6/10

Machine Gun Dragon- good Yakuza movie. Sonny Chiba only has a cameo. 7/10

Fighting Fist- I don’t think if I’ll ever watch this. I’ve heard it’s terrible.

Morgoth Bauglir

I doubt it HAZ, but, that is possible. I was looking closely on the back of the DVD case, and it says "distributed by First Look Studios", not "First Look Pictures". That seemed a bit odd to me. Also, the cover art I got is different from the cover shown on Amazon. The cover art on Amazon shows up on the menu screen of the DVD.

But this is what seals the deal for me on why this Videoasia version I have is the same version shown on Amazon. Amazon lists it as being 1 disc, which is what I have. If it was a good, legit release, do you think they would put 4 movies on 1 double sided disc? I say no, but I'm not an expert on DVDs, so I can't give a definitive answer to that question.

I doubt it HAZ, but, that is possible. I was looking closely on the back of the DVD case, and it says "distributed by First Look Studios", not "First Look Pictures". That seemed a bit odd to me. Also, the cover art I got is different from the cover shown on Amazon. The cover art on Amazon shows up on the menu screen of the DVD.

But this is what seals the deal for me on why this Videoasia version I have is the same version shown on Amazon. Amazon lists it as being 1 disc, which is what I have. If it was a good, legit release, do you think they would put 4 movies on 1 double sided disc? I say no, but I'm not an expert on DVDs, so I can't give a definitive answer to that question.

Ugh, one disc... I'll pass.

Morgoth Bauglir

If you are looking for really high quality stuff, then you would hate Videoasia. I enjoy their DVDs. Probably because I don't have like a high def TV, just a regular one. The best thing about Videoasia is that their products are cheap These 4-packs that they have been releasing go for $9.99 at Suncoast, and $6.99 at Best Buy. If it was Red Sun releasing these movies, or another boot company, you'd probably have to pay at least $10 per movie.

So Gorgoth,

You have no ideo of telling if these films are anamorphic or not? I'm guessing they are 2:35 right?

Also, how great is the picture quality overall?

Any info is always appreciated.

Morgoth Bauglir

Gorgoth? Damn that’s a pretty sweet name. I’d actually take it over Morgoth, aka Melkor aka Gorthu.

I apologize, but I really don’t know how to tell if movies are anamorphic. They all look to be 16:9 (I forget, is this also called 1:35?). Soul of Chiba looks a little less wide than the rest. All have very watchable picture quality IMO. Pic quality on MAchine Gun is better than Doberman Cop. Doberman Cop is a darker print and has a bit of pixelation problems, but only at the very start of the movie. All have non removable subs, except Soul of Chiba of course, which is English dubbed.

The first look dvd is not out until March 9, & their company has a very professional looking website & has put out some other films.

Morgoth Bauglir

4 movies on 1 disc doesn't seem that professional to me, but that's just my opinion.

If you are looking for really high quality stuff, then you would hate Videoasia. I enjoy their DVDs. Probably because I don't have like a high def TV, just a regular one. The best thing about Videoasia is that their products are cheap These 4-packs that they have been releasing go for $9.99 at Suncoast, and $6.99 at Best Buy. If it was Red Sun releasing these movies, or another boot company, you'd probably have to pay at least $10 per movie.

Kurotokagi has a bootleg out of the new Japanese DVD release of Doberman Cop which was completely remastered. I just hate multiple movies on one disc due them having to get compressed even more than usual.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Here's the dealio....

The set comes in a clamshell with an identical cardboard slip-cover. The only company listed anywhere on the packaging is Videoasia- same as Morgoth's (I was tempted to call you Gorgoth. That is way cool.)

It's a single disc, double-sided, with two films per side. None of the films are anamorphic. :squigglemouth:

MACHINE GUN DRAGON- Picture quality is decent. Doesn't look like it came from a remastered print or anything. It's subtitled.

SOUL OF CHIBA- Same quality as the last few DVD releases -okay, but not great. It's English dubbed. (The last release also included a subtitled version.)

FIGHTING FIST- Same as the others- passable picture, but nothing special. It's English subtitled, but it has Japanese audio (despite being a Hong Kong film), at least during the scenes that I saw as I checked it. Chin Kar Lok and Sibelle Hu were both dubbed speaking Japanese.

DOBERMAN COP- does NOT look like it's from the recently remastered Japanese DVD, but perhaps it is, and they just did a poor job making these DVDs. Videoasia... poor job? Imagine that! English subtitled.

The really strange thing is that all the films in the set were letterboxed at approximately 1:85:1. This is definitely the correct aspect ratio for FIGHTING FIST, but seems incorrect for the others. I've never seen SOUL OF CHIBA as a wider print, but based on it's framing I've always suspected that it should be. But MACHINE GUN DRAGON and DOBERMAN COP? Mid '70's films from Japan that weren't shot at 2:35:1? Seems unlikely. After close inspection (find the circles...) it appears that these two are each slightly cropped on the sides and a bit stretched vertically.

Hope that helps those that are interested. :wink:

Morgoth Bauglir

Thanks for the info KF Bob. Good to get someone who knows what they are talking about. I’m just not good at this kind of stuff.

SOUL OF CHIBA- Same quality as the last few DVD releases -okay, but not great. It's English dubbed. (The last release also included a subtitled version.)

Are there other versions of Soul of Chiba that were released recently besides the Rarescope? I have the Rarescope version, and it is definitely the version to get, because it has the English dub version, and the subbed Japanese version which has worse picture quality, but is 5 minutes longer.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Are there other versions of Soul of Chiba that were released recently besides the Rarescope? I have the Rarescope version, and it is definitely the version to get, because it has the English dub version, and the subbed Japanese version which has worse picture quality, but is 5 minutes longer.

I was mainly referring to the Rarescope versions, but there was also a VHS release of this many years ago too.

It's good that you mentioned the longer subbed version for those that didn't know about that. And before someone asks, I've never done a side-by-side comparison, so I'm not sure what's missing from the dubbed one.

Morgoth Bauglir

I’ve seen the movie too many times, so I don’t think I could go through them to find deleted footage. It would be a long and tiring process. But still, I’d be happy to do it, for money:smile::tongue:

Kung Fu Bob, where did you pick your copy up? I'm going to go look for this tomorrow and since I don't have any SunCoast videoes by me, I'm hoping to try elsewhere.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Kung Fu Bob, where did you pick your copy up? I'm going to go look for this tomorrow and since I don't have any SunCoast videoes by me, I'm hoping to try elsewhere.

I have a buddy that I do trades with, but since he doesn't have any titles I need, and I'm out of work, he picks up stuff like this for me, then trades it to me for rares. :wink: Works out for both of us! He ordered it from Bestbuy.com. I thought it wasn't released yet, but he got it and passed it on to me sometime last week.

Archived