Public Enemy Series

daisho2004

Has anyone seen any of these 3 movies they seem to continue in the series. They sound pretty good.

1) Public Enemy:

Ruthless cop Chul-joong and a merciless killer in raincoat run into each other in a small alleyway and form a fatal bond. A free-for-all fight occurs by coincidence on a rainy street. A week later, the dead bodies of an old couple are discovered with multiple stab wounds. Chul-joong suddenly recalls the night he met the man in the raincoat. Chul-joong meets the old couple's son CHO Gyoo-hwan. He has an intuition that CHO is the murderer but has no clue. In the meantime, another murder takes place in the same fashion. The showdown between a dirty cop and a killer unfolds, as things get more personal.

s05edvd05a.jpg

2) Another Public Enemy 2:

Kang Woo-suk (Two Cops, Silmido) steps back into the director's chair for Another Public Enemy, the winning follow-up to his 2002 box office hit, Public Enemy. Sul Kyung-ku (Rikidozan: A Hero Extraordinary, Silmido) once again plays a character named Kang Chul-joong, but this time around he's not portraying a corrupt police detective hunting a serial killer, but is instead a dedicated prosecutor who likes to throw himself into the thick of the action!

Things start to heat up considerably in this highly successful sequel when ace legal eagle Kang takes on the case of Han Sang-woo (The Legend of Evil Lake's Jeong Jun-ho), a former high school classmate and the future chairman of the Myung-Sun Foundation. Despite his innocent facade, Kang's old friend looks to be guilty of bribery, embezzlement, and even murder! But with Han always one step ahead of Kang, what can our hero do to bring this white collar "public enemy" to justice? Find out in director Kang Woo-suk's provocative look at the illicit relationship between big business and Korea's

3) Public Enemy 3:

Kang Cheol-jung has been a detective fighting crime for 15 years, but he leads a financially insecure life. Meanwhile, the men he's put behind bars in the past are now doing much better for themselves, which drives Cheol-jung to regret choosing to be a cop. On the other side of the spectrum is Jae-young, the wealthy honcho of a large network of businesses including finance, butchery, construction, and entertainment, as well as a number of clubs. He trains young boys to work for him while at critical times forcing them to take the fall on his behalf by falsely confessing to the crimes he committed. Kang Cheol-jung feels an incredible anger towards Jae-young, who is quick to turn young boys into criminals for his own selfish gains. Cheol-jung vows to get him.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

The first two are great. Very entertaining, good cast, funny, with some rough and tumble action. I have part three, but instead of finally checking it out... I decided to watch BLACK DYNAMITE again. :tongue: LOL What can I say? To each his own? :wink:

One Armed Boxer

Daisho2004....Public Enemy is an awesome movie, definitely one of my Korean favorites.

I wasn`t so hot on the second one, as it basically completely changes the characters that we meet in the original.

The third one is also great, and it should be noted that it is a direct sequel to the original Public Enemy, completely dis-regarding the second one.

One Armed Boxer

Although it ultimately boils down to personal taste....I personally would by-pass the second one.

As a stand alone film I think perhaps I would have a higher opinion of it...however if you are looking for the rough around the edges, not so smart but has a good heart under the tough exterior character of cop Kang Chul-Joong, who makes the first film such fun to watch...you won't find him in the sequel.

If you can track down the first-pressing Korean DVD of 'Public Enemy Returns', it actually comes with 'Public Enemy' as a bonus disc. So even though now you may have to pay a little through the nose for it, it may still work out around the same price as if you were to buy both movies seperately, worth looking into.

OAB: Thanks for the info, I will be getting these movies hopefully in the next few weeks.

I agree with One Armed Boxer, the 1st and 3rd were top notch. The 2nd's pretty good but not in relation to the others.

Then I wonder why they even bothered to call it pt.#2 for if it has nothing to do with the 1st. movie! I hate when they do that!

One Armed Boxer

True, I don't really understand why they decided to keep the characters name the same either, when it's blatently a different person who actor Sul Kyung-Ku is portraying.

Still....the same principal was pulled off quite well for Ong Bak 2, I guess it just depends what purpose you're doing it for.

Chia Ling AKA Judy Lee

I thought Public Enemy was absolute rubbish, what am I missing? Everyone raves about it, but it's one of the worst Korean films I've seen. I'm not even trying to be dramatic or controversial here, honest! Daisho, let us know what you think...

One Armed Boxer
I thought Public Enemy was absolute rubbish, what am I missing?

The short answer would be, well.....everything. What exactly did you think was terrible about the movie? Great story, great characters, satisfying finish, some moments of laugh out loud black humor, and good cinematography.

I'm curious to know if you didn't enjoy 'Public Enemy' did you not enjoy 'Chaser' either? As I feel they are both very similar in tone.

Chia Ling AKA Judy Lee
The short answer would be, well.....everything. What exactly did you think was terrible about the movie? Great story, great characters, satisfying finish, some moments of laugh out loud black humor, and good cinematography.

I'm curious to know if you didn't enjoy 'Public Enemy' did you not enjoy 'Chaser' either? As I feel they are both very similar in tone.

I thought The Chaser was a great film that was dark and gripping, one of the best thrillers I've seen. Public Enemy almost seemed slapstick in it's crudely simplistic, hole-ridden plot, there was no tension for me there. I wanted to like it, I think Sol Kyung Gu's performance in Oasis in the same year is one of the best performances I've ever seen, but I felt he was hindered by a shallow and unrealistic character here.

I don't like to be negative or talk down a film, so don't want to go much further into it, I guess I should rewatch it but do not feel very inclined at all, I already feel like I wasted 2 hours on it!

Chia Ling AKA Judy Lee: Listen if you feel a movie is garbage and sucks then say it, don't feel like your offending anyone on here! I always say what I think about a movie I'm straight forward no sugar coating it. I like your opinion because if I don't like it then I know I'm not the only one. I'll post my reviews after I get to see these movies.

Chia Ling AKA Judy Lee
Chia Ling AKA Judy Lee: Listen if you feel a movie is garbage and sucks then say it, don't feel like your offending anyone on here! I always say what I think about a movie I'm straight forward no sugar coating it. I like your opinion because if I don't like it then I know I'm not the only one. I'll post my reviews after I get to see these movies.

Don't worry Daisho, I wasn't sugar coating. :angel: I hope your expectations are reduced so you're pleasantly suprised. I think I was overly hyped for watching this one!

I hope your expectations are reduced so you're pleasantly suprised. I think I was overly hyped for watching this one!

Chia Ling AKA Judy Lee: I always go into a movie with an unbiased opinion that way I can enjoy or hate the movie myself, but I do like to hear what everyone thinks 1st. it makes the movie all the more important to watch, and then review.

Morgoth Bauglir

Judy Lee you are the first person I've seen on here that said they didn't like Public Enemy. I didn't go into it with high expectations or anything, but I didn't like it. I didn't hate it, but I just couldn't get into it. Every time I thought the movie was starting to get better I would wait with anticipation for it to keep getting better, But I ended up just being very bored.

Chia Ling AKA Judy Lee
Judy Lee you are the first person I've seen on here that said they didn't like Public Enemy. I didn't go into it with high expectations or anything, but I didn't like it. I didn't hate it, but I just couldn't get into it. Every time I thought the movie was starting to get better I would wait with anticipation for it to keep getting better, But I ended up just being very bored.

Cheers Morgoth, so I'm not losing my mind. Our tastes seem to intersect quite often, I too was waiting for the film to reveal itself as a good one but it never happened for me!

Morgoth Bauglir
Cheers Morgoth, so I'm not losing my mind. Our tastes seem to intersect quite often, I too was waiting for the film to reveal itself as a good one but it never happened for me!

Yeah I notice this too that we have the same tastes a lot. It's probably because we love kung fu movies:tongue:

Archived