Aragami

daisho2004

I haven't seen this movie but it sounds pretty good.

Fleeing from enemies, two wounded samurai arrive at a mysterious old temple in a remote location in the mountains. Unable to walk any further, they collapse from exhaustion. One awakens to find himself miraculously healed. His mysterious host tells him the legend of a Japanese goblin that is said to reside in the mountains dining on the flesh of men. He goes on to reveal himself as the demon "Aragami." And Challenges the Samurai to a duel. Wishing to end his own seemingly invincible existence, an existence without sleep or dreams, with a battle against a worthy opponent. The only way for the Samurai to leave the temple is to destroy Aragami.

51YXYYBZ9HL._SS500_.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like this movie and if you havent seen it i think you should give it a chance..

I dont know how much you know about it but it was made during something called The Duel Project wich was basicly a movie duel between Ryuhei Kitamura and Yukihiko Tsutsumi who could make the best movie with only a few actors (think it was two) battling each others in a confined area... search for the history about The Duel Project.. it is quite fun :nerd:

The other movie in the procet was 2LDK.. and i think Aragami is the true winner...

• Administrator
I really like this movie and if you havent seen it i think you should give it a chance..

I dont know how much you know about it but it was made during something called The Duel Project wich was basicly a movie duel between Ryuhei Kitamura and Yukihiko Tsutsumi who could make the best movie with only a few actors (think it was two) battling each others in a confined area... search for the history about The Duel Project.. it is quite fun :nerd:

The other movie in the procet was 2LDK.. and i think Aragami is the true winner...

Right you are. The "Duel Project" turned out two great little films! I was fortunate to have seen them both at the Philadelphia Film Festival when they played there. 2LDK is a dark comedy set in modern times, and is about two female roommates who, um... don't get along so well. I urge you not to read more about it because even the DVD synopsis ruins some wonderful surprises.

ARAGAMI is a cool character piece, also featuring some wicked funny parts, and a bit of exciting, colorful action. I love the premise! This was made back when Kitamura was still an exciting, promising filmmaker. IMHO with each film, starting after this one, he has steadily declined in quality, originality, and entertainment value with his output. I know most people really dig AZUMI, but I've already explained why I don't like it in another thread.

BOB, what a treat watching the project on the big screen! over here in ol´ sweden we dont get to see many asian movies on the big screen.. oh yeah i watched the terrible Battle Royal 2 in cinema :squigglemouth:

Im with you BOB, i didnt like Azumi and cant understand the fuzz about it.. Its one of the biggest letdowns..

My favorite Kitmura is Aragami, Longinus and Versus.. I did also find some enjoyment in Sky High..

Now daisho, hope you get to see the great Aragami, its a nice piece.. almost got a theatrical stageplay feel over it..

Well I'm going to pick it up.

BTW: I loved AZUMI I cannot understand why you Guys didn't but KFB, I read all the post we did on Azumi when it came out.Still cannot understand you, but hey you loved Black Dynamite! :cry:

• Administrator
Well I'm going to pick it up.

BTW: I loved AZUMI I cannot understand why you Guys didn't but KFB, I read all the post we did on Azumi when it came out.Still cannot understand you, but hey you loved Black Dynamite! :cry:

There's nothing to understand... AZUMI is a big waste of time. Poorly acted, sloppily scripted, with no heart, one dimensional characters, distracting self-consious camera bufoonery, and one of the weakest looking, most unconvincing female film fighters I've ever seen. And you're right- I loved BLACK DYNAMITE... because it's awesome. :wink:

I though this movie was pretty decent. I always get a kick seeing the bad guy from Drive in other movies. Another reason why I liked Fighter in the Wind.

Morgoth Bauglir

I thought Azumi was horrible. The only thing I liked was the guy in white. He was really really cool. Aragami sounds cool. Is it similar to origami?

^ I thought the same thing dude till I watched it. I even watched it twice because it is really action-packed and I love the story so much.

One Armed Boxer

Daisho2004...you should pick up the UK Tartan Asia Extreme release of the Duel Project...it has both movies for the same price as some retailers sell them seperately.

51ORwctqU2L._SS500_.jpg

OAB: Good looking out I'm going to go search for it today.

I recommed you get this movie as soon as possible. Has some of the best coversations I've ever seen in a movie, and the three fight scenes are done very well.

Daisho2004...you should pick up the UK Tartan Asia Extreme release of the Duel Project...it has both movies for the same price as some retailers sell them seperately.

51ORwctqU2L._SS500_.jpg

I have both films- one word...

Excellent.

Guest WuxiaFan
There's nothing to understand... AZUMI is a big waste of time. Poorly acted, sloppily scripted, with no heart, one dimensional characters, distracting self-consious camera bufoonery, and one of the weakest looking, most unconvincing female film fighters I've ever seen. And you're right- I loved BLACK DYNAMITE... because it's awesome. :wink:

KUNG FU BOOB - I loved both AZUMI and BLACK DYNAMITE.

:yociexp38:

I have both films- one word...Excellent.

I'll have to check them out!

:yociexp111:

OAB: I cannot find the duel DVD anywhere! If you know a link post it for me, Thanks. All I get is the single disc for both movies.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
KUNG FU BOOB - I loved both AZUMI and BLACK DYNAMITE.

Hey Wussyafan, you're entitled to have some taste some days, and no taste on others. :xd: LOL

I'll have to check them out!

Seriously, they make a great double feature! :bigsmile:

Guest WuxiaFan
Hey Wussyafan, you're entitled to have some taste some days, and no taste on others. :xd: LOL

I can dig it, brother! :wink: LOL

Seriously, they make a great double feature! :bigsmile:

Is this a double feature you have??

:khi3f:

OK I'm going back now I finally picked up Aragami but not the duel DVD:

I just finished watching this today, excellent movie, great storyline and good action scenes. The trailer doesn't do the movie any justice.

Ryuhei Kitamura, director of the cult action hits Versus and Alive, made this samurai movie about a legendary supernatural creature. In the middle of the night, two wounded samurai come upon a remote mountain temple. One of them dies. The other, after recovering from his wounds, meets the occupant of the temple, a brooding warrior who tells him that he is the legendary goblin Aragami, a god of war who eats human flesh and is invincible in battle. Wearied by his apparent immortality, he is searching for the one mortal who can defeat him, and hopes that his visitor is the one to do so and take on both his powers and the burden of eternal life. Aragami is one half of the "Duel Project," in which Kitamura and fellow director Yukihiko Tsutsumi agreed to each make a film involving a duel to the death. Tstutsumi's half of the bargain is entitled 2LDK. ~ Tom Vick, Rovi

One Armed Boxer

I've had this on DVD for a criminally long time without watching it...but with the recent talk of 'Versus' in the Japanese forum, I finally decided to give it a go tonight, and watched both '2LDK' & 'Aragami' back to back.

Truth be told, although both pieces share the same concept...the genre, tone, story line, characters, and almost everything else are completely different to one another, which makes it almost unfair to do a comparison. But for me, '2LDK' just edged it as my favorite, I thought it was a slightly tighter and more well constructed ride than 'Aragami'.

'Aragami' was entertaining in its own right, with an excellent two thirds, but in the final third I found it dragged a little, a recurring theme in most of Kitamura's movies, with even 'Versus' being slightly bloated in my opinion.

'2LDK' is a tense piece throughout, with a killer ending, while 'Aragami' loses steam once it gets past the conversational part (it's ironic that it's actually the most gripping when it's just the two characters sat down talking to each other!).

One thing about 'Aragami' though, the character Tak Sakaguchi plays in the final scene....is it possibly the same character as he's playing in 'Versus'? He put's his sunglasses on in exactly the same style as he does playing Prisoner KSC2-303.

Archived