BRUCEPLOITATION Book Update...

shukocarl

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Markgway

I guess 83 of us have a print rarity.

Might be worth something in 20 years! ;)

Good to see Carl going ahead with his writing.

What's your next book about, Carl?

The next book is almost done. John is working very hard to finish the layout now. It's called 'Shukokai Karate- The Basic Handbook' and is an introduction/overview of the style with over 100 pics and explanatory text.

The third book will be back to the martial arts fim world...but I keeping my lips very tight on it for now!:angel:

Regards

Carl

I liked your Kung Fu Clones book. It's a shame you've still got some left, but I'm glad to see you're not downhearted about it. I would have thought some people on here would like to snap them up if they haven't already done so.

Looking forward to your next movie-based book!

The third book will be back to the martial arts fim world...but I keeping my lips very tight on it for now!:angel:

Colour me intrigued!! :smile:

thedirtytiger

The problem is that 25 pounds for this book is just too much. It should retail for a lot less. You have to do higher print runs to sell for lower prices. You would sell more copies at a lower price. But whatever you do it's a gamble. When I did my magazine I printed 1500 copies of each issue. Never sold even close to that number though :( Very hard to make money in the publishing business.

Hi James, good to hear from you. It's been a very long time. Big fan of Oriental Film Review.

I agree. The cost of the book is very high, but then it's produced virtually at cost, with no margin for wholesale. As you've outlined, that's the reality of short-run, full-colour book printing, and the paradox you provide is spot on. Do you reduce cost per copy dramatically by printing huge amounts of potentially dead stock or do you work to a budget and print as many as you can and sell high to break even?

And that's where it's at for me. Breaking even.

I've produced fanzines, magazines and books since 1991 and this has never been about pursuing wealth. This is not my day job, this is my outside interest in cinema. It's about taking a risk and contributing something where someone will hopefully see the intrinsic value.

Before Carl's book, its subject matter was a dirty footnote to the fabric of the Bruce Lee universe. Now Bruceploitation has a focal point all its own, better defining it as a genre. Although the audience is limited, there's an appreciation for these films and I think the book embraces that, making it ideal for anyone with an interest in Bruce Li et al, in spite of the high price tag.

Sorry to hear that it didnt work out financially but for what its worth I brought it and loved it especially for the fact that it was in colour! It was nice to see something about a subject that is never really touched on elsewhere but was a large part of my growing up!

Cheers guys.

thedirtytiger

Hehehe, thank you for your kind words.

Well, you put your self out there and tried hard, that's the point and full credit to you for doing it mate.

If you need any help on book 3, let me know.

bruceleeclones
It was nice to see something about a subject that is never really touched on elsewhere but was a large part of my growing up!

Cheers guys.

apart from my website that has been dedicated to the genre for years lol

So it's basically OOP. Well done! Is it still available at stores, Amazon etc.?

The remaining copies went to one of Amazon's suppliers, so it should be available from there for a limited time. Aside from the signed copy, yes it's OOP.

:nerd:

Huang Kin Lung's (I refuse to call the clones by their exploitation names) cameo I guess you'd call it, in GH's Game of Death? He appears at the 50:48 mark where Bob Wall chases the Billy Lo character through the Lion Dance in the Macao back streets. When they first show the lion, he is the first troupe member to the left of the lion head! I noticed this years ago, however, while watching this today, thought I'd make it known-if no one else was aware.

... Funny. He was on the set, and they never used the guy? With those scenes that called for Billy Lo in shades, he would have looked more like Bruce than any of the shadow actors. IMO.

Dragon out.

That's because Kim rocks, and Huang sucks ;)

I was stunned they didn't use Yuen Wah for GAME OF DEATH. If you are going to use three stand ins, why not use the guy who actually doubled for Bruce?

But that flick is so inept, it should be titled PLAN 9 FROM HONG KONG.

I was stunned they didn't use Yuen Wah for GAME OF DEATH. If you are going to use three stand ins, why not use the guy who actually doubled for Bruce?

But that flick is so inept, it should be titled PLAN 9 FROM HONG KONG.

Wasn't Yuen Wah with Shaw at the time?

golden harvest greg

Wait !! It isn't completed yet is it? I've got some rare black & white 4X5's of Ho Chung-tao

that would make a great addition to the Bruceploitation book. Please reply !!

Wait !! It isn't completed yet is it? I've got some rare black & white 4X5's of Ho Chung-tao that would make a great addition to the Bruceploitation book. Please reply !!

Where have you been?! I would love to have the images, please PM me. I'm compiling unused pix from the book to pass on to Lee @ The Clones of Bruce Lee who is planning his own series of books about Bruceploitation.

Here Come the Kung Fu Clones is completely sold out.

HOWEVER

My personal copy, signed by Carl is available, if anyone would like to bid on it and pay p&p I'll donate all proceeds from its sale to Children In Need. £50 start anyone? Looking for £100.

bruceleeclones
Wait !! It isn't completed yet is it? I've got some rare black & white 4X5's of Ho Chung-tao

that would make a great addition to the Bruceploitation book. Please reply !!

Yeah as John said, i'm planning my own series of books on the Clones, so any pics are greatly appreciated for both the forthcoming books and my website

Archived