After the Rain: A worthy addition to the Masters legacy

BlackLamaFaction

BlackLamaFaction

I watched After the Rain this week. Having seen all of Kurosawa's films I wondered if I could accept something he wrote in the hands of another director, the fact that the director was Takashi Koizumi, Kurosawa's long time assistant director gave me hope that the material would be treated with reverence, and consideration of Kurosawa's style and attention to detail. I was not disappointed, the tone and character depth was right on. Early on in the film I didn't like Akira Terao as the lead (Ihea Misawa), I found him to be too relaxed and informal but as the film progressed I saw why he was a good choice, since the story is primarily about the conflicts involved with being a good natured samurai. A Ronin staying in a poor village and supporting the local people by prize fighting breaks up a fight between two retainers of the local lord, the lord is impressed with his skill and offers him a position as fencing instructor. Part of the film is told in Black and White flashback as Ihea tells the lord his story, including a duel with an interesting outcome between Ihea and a famous master named Tsuji Gettan played by the one and only Tatsuya Nakadai. As a result of this duel Tsuji takes Ihea as a student. The lord is amazed by Ihea's story and wants to employ him, Ihea however warns that his past experiences working for lords never work out. Without giving to much away, drama ensues and in my opinion a great story unfolds. Yoshika Miyazaki delivers a great performance as Tayo, Ihea's wife, the exploration of a Ronin's wife added dimension and shed light on a character not often seen in these films. Koizumi was quite capable, the story was so engrossing my only disappointment was that it ended. I could have easily watched another 2 hours. If you have not seen this film I highly recommend it. Both moderate and hardcore fans of Kurosawa will like this film.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TrickyNicky

7t9qjWJo36I

Watched this tonight. What a treat. You can definitely feel Kurosawa's influence throughout.

Archived