The Saviour Monk (1975)

kaleyboy

Hi, does anyone have the Hoker print of The Saviour Monk for trade? I have the version with burned-in English subs, but I need the Hoker print for a sub project. I'd be happy to trade 2-for-1 for it from my list. DVD-R is fine. PM me for my list. Cheers.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One Armed Boxer

I'm also curious to see if anyone has any opinions on this one? The monster on the cover has me intrigued...

$T2eC16R,!ykE9s7t)dOqBRrfS4Dp5Q~~60_35.JPG

One Armed Boxer

Curiosity got the better of me with this one, and I took the plunge. Kaiju style mosters, Philip Ko dressed as Dracula, a Chinese Moses, and possessed dance routines are just a few of the plesures to be found in 'The Saviour Monk'. Check out my full review here -

http://www.cityonfire.com/the-saviour-monk-1975-review-kung-fu/

Morgoth Bauglir

Far out man. Thanks for the review. You have me wondering now what are the worst subtitles you've come across? A couple that come to mind are The Champions 1983 VCD and Secret of the Water Technique.

Killer Meteor
Far out man. Thanks for the review. You have me wondering now what are the worst subtitles you've come across? A couple that come to mind are The Champions 1983 VCD and Secret of the Water Technique.

The theatrical subs for Choi Lee Fat Kung Fu are dreadful. The various martial arts techniques are repeatedly translated as "Name of Boxing Act"

Curiosity got the better of me with this one, and I took the plunge. Kaiju style mosters, Philip Ko dressed as Dracula, a Chinese Moses, and possessed dance routines are just a few of the plesures to be found in 'The Saviour Monk'. Check out my full review here -

http://www.cityonfire.com/the-saviour-monk-1975-review-kung-fu/

I know what the next movie on my list is.

I watched this one last night. It's one of those films where you will describe it to your fellow B-movie fans and it will sound like pure insanity from start to finish. However, the actual experience is less than the sum of the occasional moments of awesomeness.

The plot: During the...er...Song Dynasty(?), a prince is born with the spirit of Buddhism already in his heart. He grows up to be an expert martial artist, and his war-monger dad plans to marry him to the princess of the neighboring kingdom so he can consolidate the two armies and go a conquering. The prince agrees to the marriage under pressure, but a visit from the spirit of a Taoist monk is enough to make him change plans and become a monk. Abandoning everything, he wanders around and makes it to a town that is being oppressed by a black magic cult known as the Heaven Religion. Cue the kaiju battles, demonic possession and a smattering of swordplay.

Had the movie just been those things, I would've enjoyed it a lot more. The problem is that it is broken up by scenes of Buddhist philosophizing, which is what ultimately took me out of the film, because of the difficulties I had in reconciling the film's message with my own beliefs. The take-away message of the movie is ultimately "Sex is evil in any context and love and Family are impediments to one's spiritual progress." That really conflicts with my POV that "families can be together for ever" and "exaltation is a Family affair". The fact that our hero attains Nirvana at the end just proves the point that the filmmakers are saying that abandoning one's spouse completely is okay if it's for religious reasons. It feels too individualist to me.

ShaOW!linDude

I want to say I've seen this before; the plot and title sound so familiar. I can't recall, so if I have, I've obviously been strongly repressing any memory of it. Did it have a lot of bad wuxia kung fu in it by chance?

There were three fight scenes. The first one has the prince (before his conversion) fighting a couple of condemned criminals and throwing them into the sea to save them from execution. The other two fights were OK sword fights involving the prince/monk's princess wife. Fight fans looking for a lot of martial arts in this will inevitably be disappointed.

ShaOW!linDude
There were three fight scenes. The first one has the prince (before his conversion) fighting a couple of condemned criminals and throwing them into the sea to save them from execution. The other two fights were OK sword fights involving the prince/monk's princess wife. Fight fans looking for a lot of martial arts in this will inevitably be disappointed.

Sounds about right.

Archived