Takashi Miike: Yakuza: Like a Dragon

daisho2004

Has anyone seen this movie, if so how was it?

Kazuma Kiryu, once one of the most fearsome yakuza and known as the Dragon of the Dojima Family, comes back to Kamuro-cho after a ten year jail sentence. His return means many things to many different people, but to one girl, it means she may have a chance of finding her mother. To one of Kazuma's yakuza friends, however, it means a chance to settle a score.

DVD Release Date: February 23, 2010

51PaYGAkPrL._SS500_.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im a Miike fan and I didnt care much for this film. It was Ok, but not close to as good as Crows Zero, which I watched around the same time. If you havent seen it yet Daisho I'll send you my copy

One Armed Boxer

I just got through watching this movie and have to admit I had no idea what to expect. When you see 'Based on a video game' on a movie cover, it's normally a sure fire guarantee that what you're about to watch is going to absolutely suck. But 'Like A Dragon' is directed by Takashi Miike, so if anyone could pull off a worthy adaption, it's mostly likely going to be Japan's most versatile director.

'Like A Dragon' in many ways is Miike's transition movie, it was made in '07, which a look at his filmography will tell you was the year he moved into directing more mainstream fare ('Crows Zero') than his previous direct to video efforts ('Big Bang Love, Juvenile A') which tended to cross every genre, and in some cases boundaries of good taste, imaginable.

As it is, I think I enjoyed 'Like A Dragon' more than 'Crows Zero', both share the themes of two powerful foes up against each other, but something about Kazuki Kitamura's portrayal of the beefed up, silver suit wearing fresh out of jail yakuza Kiryu just made the movie very cool. Strolling through the city with a young child, Haruka, who's attempting to find her mother like a modern day version of Lone Wolf & Cub, it captures the neon drenched streets and alley ways of Japan beautifully.

Kiryu has a worthy foe in Goro, an eye-patch wearing rival yakuza who has an affliction for putting the beat down on people with a baseball bat & ball, and during the course of the movie the two go at it with fists, feet, knives, and shotguns for good measure. & staying true to the game, there's even a scene were Kiryu drinks an energy drink as a 'power-up', which only a director such as Miike could possibly have the balls to attempt to transfer into the movie medium, it's genius.

As I said I've never played the games, but there's a collection of sub-plots which lend the movie an ensemble feel that I presume have been taken from the game. There's a pair of bank robbers holding up a bank with no money in the sweltering heat, and their arguments give the movie it's best comedic moments, as they bicker about how they shouldn't have wore masks made of wool, and there's also a delinquent teenage couple going on an ill-fated robbing spree so that the girl can raise money for a mysterious cause. All this is topped off by the group of police officers holed up in a police box with broken air conditioning, keeping themselves hydrated by drinking beer.

All in all Miike's created 110 minutes of well paced comedy, drama, tension, and violence, and 'Like A Dragon' ends up coming out with the polished look of one of his more recent productions, but with just enough touches of his older works to give it that distinct Miike movie feel, well recommended to everyone who's looking for a slice of old school Japanese tough guy cinema.

bf_oNYbpcUU

I also thought it was rather enjoyable. Tokyo's neon jungle really comes through great(er than in reality). Nice cast, nice visuals, nice video game atmosphere, nice movie. Same level as Crows Zero 2, and miles better than the abysmal Crows Zero 1.

Archived