Best Bruce Lee dvds?

BlurayStation3

BlurayStation3

I'm in the US and so far I only have these R1/R0 dvds since I don't own a region-free player:

R1 Bruce Lee Ultimate Collection (Fox)

R1 Bruce Lee Master Collection (Fox)

R1 Enter the Dragon 2-disc special edition (Warner)

RA Enter the Dragon (Warner blu ray)

R0 The Big Boss (Zoke)

R0 Fist of Fury (Zoke)

R0 Way of the Dragon (Zoke)

R0 Enter the Dragon (Zoke)

R0 Game of Death (Zoke)

R0 Tower of Death (Universe)

I'm thinking of getting a region-free dvd player and the UK R2 dvds for the extras. Am I correct that these are the versions with the best/most extras?

R2 The Big Boss 2-disc Platinum Edition (Hong Kong Legends)

R2 Fist of Fury 2-disc Platinum Edition (Hong Kong Legends)

R2 Way of the Dragon 2-disc Platinum Edition (Hong Kong Legends)

R2 Game of Death 2-disc Platinum Edition (Hong Kong Legends)

Is there a Platinum Edition of Game of Death 2/Tower of Death?

What are the differences in extras between the Platinum Editions and the R2 30th Anniversary box set?

Also, what is the best site to buy these R2 dvds?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest WuxiaFan
I'm thinking of getting a region-free dvd player and the UK R2 dvds for the extras. Am I correct that these are the versions with the best/most extras?

:yociexp57:

YOU MUST get a universal DVD player that properly converts PAL to NTSC discs so that you can enjoy the best versions of any martial art/foreign DVD out there. If you're going to start buying PAL discs, you MUST get a QUALITY universal DVD player. I have the Oppo Digital 981H upconverting DVD player and I love it. The performance is superior and you can find it and other Oppo players on ebay, amazon, or current players at oppodigital.com. If you want to read reviews on the Oppo players, please check the Benchmark Reviews at hometheaterhifi.com. IMO, they're one of the most reputable reviewers of hardware out there.

IMO, Yes the HKL versions are the BEST versions of Bruce's movies with the BEST special features. The prints are uncut, practically flawless, and the subtitles are well written and easy to read. I personally think the HKL 2-Disc Platinum versions are treasures. But that's just me. Other Forum members might disagree, but I don't know what other DVD versions would be better.

R2 The Big Boss 2-disc Platinum Edition (Hong Kong Legends)

R2 Fist of Fury 2-disc Platinum Edition (Hong Kong Legends)

Available at amazon.co.uk for cheap!

THE BIG BOSS:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Big-Boss-Disc-Platinum-DVD/dp/B000HIUWYE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1267048688&sr=1-2

FIST OF FURY:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fist-Fury-DVD-Bruce-Lee/dp/B0009VJY0C/ref=pd_bxgy_d_h__img_c

R2 Way of the Dragon 2-disc Platinum Edition (Hong Kong Legends)

R2 Game of Death 2-disc Platinum Edition (Hong Kong Legends)

Is there a Platinum Edition of Game of Death 2/Tower of Death?

Available at Austrailian retailer chaos.com as R4 PAL discs. They are released through Australian distributor Magna Pacific, but they ARE the HKL discs:

WAY OF THE DRAGON:

http://chaos.com/product/way-of-the-dragon-way-of-the-dragon-platinum-edition/602740-193143.html

GAME OF DEATH:

http://chaos.com/product/game-of-death-game-of-death-platinum-edition/573614-193105.html

GAME OF DEATH 2 (aka TOWER OF DEATH)

http://chaos.com/product/game-of-death-2-game-of-death-2-special-collectors-edition/573615-193106.html

Also available at HKFlix.com as the "UK Limited Edition":

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.528661/qx/details.htm

What are the differences in extras between the Platinum Editions and the R2 30th Anniversary box set?

I believe they're the same thing, but the 2-Disc Platinum versions were released after the 30th Anniversary set, so they may have more special features. You'll have to just compare. But if it were me, I'd go with the Platium versions. I'm not on the blu-ray bandwagon, so I can't comment on the blu-ray of ENTER THE DRAGON. The 2-disc version you have is the best standard DVD version of EOD.

Hope this helps!

:yociexp85:

BlurayStation3

Thanks for the info; I'll have to do some research on region-free players.

I just remembered that UK also got a Street Fighter dvd boxset with the original Japanese track. That's another one I'll have to look into.

Great job WuxiaFan! I could not have said it better.

But Still... :bigsmile:

The discs that come in The Ultimate Collection R1 (Eng) has the best PQ to me.

The R3 (Chn) has the best AQ. HKL's R2 has the best special features, all showing what a complete mess this is.

Thank God I buy Bruce material, so I don't mind, however, it's terribly frustrating to not have an Ultimate disc, with everything covered. I thought we'd get that with Blu-Ray.:sad:

The Running Man

HKL DVDs do win out in the extras departement though across the board but when it comes to the audio and video, not so much all the time. For example, neither of HKL's Way of the Dragon release have mono tracks and none of them even include the Mandarin track in some form. The HKL DVD of the Platinum Edition of Fist of Fury has the colors messed with.

The Fortune Star discs released by Fox are actually the best combination for picture and sound on DVD since those include both the Mandarin and Cantonese tracks in mono form and they sound surprisingly good given Fortune Star's record with mono. HKL may have better subtitles though but I've never bothered to sit down and compare.

So in a nutshell, if you want the best video and audio presentation get the Fox box set and you'll get all of the Bruce Lee Chinese films handled. If you want more extras, get the HKL DVDs. :)

And the the 30th Anniversary HKL collection I believe contains the non-Platinum Editions of the HKL Bruce Lee DVDs but does have an exclusive extras disc that's not on other releases.

BlurayStation3

Thanks again for the info WuxiaFan! I just ordered R2 Big Boss 2-disc Platinum, R2 Fist of Fury 2-disc Platinum, R2 Street Fighter Box Set, and R2 Enter the Dragon 2-disc Special from Amazon UK. I thought they would be expensive, being 2-disc editions with all those extras, but they only came to around $5 USD each.

I already have the R1 Enter the Dragon 2-disc Special and Blu-Ray, but I grabbed the UK version since so cheap. It's crazy that it costs $5 USD new over there, and $20 USD new in the states!

I also ordered the Bruce Lee 8-disc Ultimate Collection from New Zealand. I think it's actually an Australian release judging by the rating logo and that it's from Magna Pacific.

It has:

Big Boss (1 disc)

Fist of Fury (1 disc)

Way of the Dragon (2-disc)

Game of Death (2-disc)

Game of Death 2 (1 disc)

bonus disc: Bruce Lee The Legend (1 disc)

collector's booklet

It was $83 after shipping and the individual WotD/GoD/GoD2 would've cost $60, so that's 3 extra discs, a booklet and a box for an extra $20.

getimagedyns.jpg

Yep, that's an Aussie release. I have it. There's also another boxset of those films available here. I don't think it has the bonus disc, but I think it comes with a book.

Here it is:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BRUCE-LEE-The-Dragon-Coll-Limited-Ed-NEW-DVD-9-Disc_W0QQitemZ270534607185QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Movies_Movies_TV_Shows?hash=item3efd1e8151

There was also a release that only had Big Boss, Fist of Fury and Way of the Dragon. It was called "The Hong Kong Collection".

Archived