Stephen Chow set to remake Bruce Lee movie in English

DiP

Stephen Chow to begin filming English movie 'Tai Chi' in June

HONG KONG : Renowned comedy film-maker Stephen Chow will begin shooting his new film "Tai Chi" which features prominent Hollywood stars Jack Black and Anne Hathaway in the United States in June this year, said Hong Kong media reports.

The Hong Kong actor-director had been very quiet after releasing "CJ7" in 2008 and even pulled out from the high-profile "The Green Hornet" due to unspecified reasons, but his upcoming film "Tai Chi" looks set to make a splash in Hollywood.

The film will be Chow's directorial and acting debut in Tinseltown.

"Tai Chi", a co-production between China Film Group Corporation and an unnamed American film company will cost US$60 million (S$84.4 million) to make.

"Tai Chi" will be based on the 1972 film "Way of the Dragon" starring Bruce Lee. It tells the story of a Chinese migrant in the US (played by Chow) who works as a dishwasher in Chinatown and hides his skills as a Tai Chi master. He is forced to stand up to gangsters who oppress his fellow migrants and later gets invited to start martial arts schools to share his knowledge.

Chow, a big fan of the late kung fu legend Bruce Lee, reportedly went to great lengths to make sure the script was perfect. He continously refined the script for almost two years and pushed back the production date.

Columbia Pictures pulled out from the project after the film giant got tired of waiting, forcing Chow to seek a new Hollywood partner.

Chow is reportedly extremely nervous about working on this film as it is completely in English and features Hollywood stars. While his command of the language has greatly improved over the years, Chow is not taking any chances and is said to have engaged a tutor to help him with his English.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/entertainment/view/1038977/1/.html

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest WuxiaFan
"Tai Chi" will be based on the 1972 film "Way of the Dragon" starring Bruce Lee. It tells the story of a Chinese migrant in the US (played by Chow) who works as a dishwasher in Chinatown and hides his skills as a Tai Chi master. He is forced to stand up to gangsters who oppress his fellow migrants and later gets invited to start martial arts schools to share his knowledge.

Curious as to why he's going with Tai Chi if this will be based off of WOTD. I'm not sure how tai chi will translate to American audiences with Bruce being known for kung fu/JKD. :squigglemouth:

Columbia Pictures pulled out from the project after the film giant got tired of waiting, forcing Chow to seek a new Hollywood partner.

Not dissapointed about that. I would like to see Sony Pictures Classics pick it up.

Originally Posted by DiP

Not dissapointed about that. I would like to see Sony Pictures Classics pick it up.

Columbia and Sony Pictures Classics are two closely related arms of the same company (Sony Pictures) so Sony Classics probably won't have anything to do with it. And after seeing how they botched the marketing of KUNG FU HUSTLE and didn't even bother marketing CJ7 at all that I noticed, the further away they are from it, the better. They just don't "get" Stephen Chow at Sony Classics.

I strongly suspect/hope that it's an arm of Twentieth Century Fox that Chow will end up working with. Fox Searchlight is a million times more competent than Sony Classics these days, and WAY OF THE DRAGON is a Fox title; they've had the US rights since the early 80s and their sister NewsCorp company Fortune Star bought the Golden Harvest catalog, including WAY OF THE DRAGON, in the mid-90s. I can't imagine the remake rights being anywhere else... except perhaps with the Bruce Lee estate itself.

I heard about a possible project months ago, but just reading about it here now, makes me very curious. Not sure what to make of the cast, but anyway we'll see.

The Running Man

I really hope that "new Hollywood partner" aren't the Weinstein Brothers.

Chances are they aren't seeing how they messed with Shaolin Soccer so much, but hey you never know.

I don't think the Weinsteins can afford to invest in the movie. And Chow didn't care for them after the SOCCER mishandling. This is likely Legendary Pictures or one of the other recent new companies that have sprung up.

Stephen Chow to Direct Hollywood Co-production Tai Chi?

-- Tai Chi --

Stephen Chow has not done any films since 2008. While he was invited to play Kato in Hollywood film, they soon parted ways due to creative differences. And now, it seems that Stephen Chow is ready to make another venture into Hollywood with 《太极》 Tai Chi (tentative) that he would be directing and starring in. Budgeted at US$60m, the film, co-produced by China Film and an independent US studio, also stars Jack Black and Anne Hathaway.

Based loosely on Bruce Lee's Way of the Dragon, Stephen Chow plays a Chinese immigrant living in Chinatown, US, working as a dishwasher. The area is overrun by triads, who oppress the Chinese, such as collecting protection fees from the restaurant Stephen Chow is working at. Stephen Chow, who is actually a Tai Chi master living in anonymity, is compelled to set things right and teach the triad members a lesson they'll never forget. The Chinese can finally live in peace and they all come to seek tutelage under Stephen Chow, beseeching him to set up a martial arts school and propagate Tai Chi.

Reportedly, Stephen Chow has hired a teacher to teach him English as the entire film is in English, and also to facilitate communications with Western actors. However, when asked about the project, Stephen Chow declines comment, "At this stage, I have nothing to say on this."

Tai Chi is slated for production in June. While there was some casting news on King of Comedy 2, Stephen Chow may not necessarily be involved directly in the film. Stephen Chow would also be producing Hail the Judge remake later this year.

http://www.wu-jing.org/happenings/archives/787-Stephen-Chow-to-Direct-Hollywood-Co-production-Tai-Chi.html

" Stephen Chow set to remake Bruce Lee movie in English

..."

What blasphemous madness is this?!!:ooh:

FOFAVATAR4.gif

... Reportedly, Stephen Chow has hired a teacher to teach him English as the entire film is in English, and also to facilitate communications with Western actors.

What about someone to teach him Kung Fu?

... However, when asked about the project, Stephen Chow declines comment, "At this stage, I have nothing to say on this."

He should shoot himself, right now.

:neutral:

Stephen Chow has been studying gung fu for years. Donnie Yen told me in 1995 that Chow was a serious devotee and they were trying to get a Bruce Lee bio film greenlit. Yuen Wah once mentioned that Chow was a helluva gung fu student, but chose to make comedies.

I'll bet Chow knows more gung fu than Dragon Lee or Ho Chung Dao.

Stephen Chow has been studying gung fu for years.

That's wonderful! :bigsmile: I know not much about his background.

... I'll bet Chow knows more gung fu than Dragon Lee or Ho Chung Dao.

That's even more wonderful!!! I Don't care for those rag-tag, hangers-on, imposters anyway.

:nerd:

One thing I do know about Chow; he's probably as big a Lee fan if not bigger as I am.

Chow was president of the Bruce Lee Fan Club in Hong Kong when he was young. I don't think he'll give us an insult to Lee like DRAGON THE BRUCE LEE STORY

Chow was president of the Bruce Lee Fan Club in Hong Kong when he was young. I don't think he'll give us an insult to Lee like DRAGON THE BRUCE LEE STORY

You mean, Dragon: The Linda Lee Story.

We want the nuts and guts story; The women, The fighting, The Triads, The Mary Jane... etc.

Total unauthorized version.

:khi9a:

You mean, Dragon: The Linda Lee Story.

We want the nuts and guts story; The women, The fighting, The Triads, The Mary Jane... etc.

Total unauthorized version.

:khi9a:

One more thing, get George Tan to produce and direct. :crossedlips:

Maybe Chow will make Jack Black actually be funny for once, if there's any comedy in it. Though knowing Stephen Chow there will be. But add Anne Hathaway to it.... this is indeed, some very bizarre casting. Hopefully he knows what he's doing. Though I'd rather it be in Mandarian and English instead of just English.

nectarsis
I really hope that "new Hollywood partner" aren't the Weinstein Brothers.

Chances are they aren't seeing how they messed with Shaolin Soccer so much, but hey you never know.

What exactly was messed with in the US release of Shaolin Soccer?

ShaOW!linDude

Thanks for the link, KFB, and all I can say is AAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!

Now I have to go check my copy at some point. I'm sure it's the US release but I don't remember it having both versions on it. Dadgummit!

Archived