Night Orchid (aka Demon Fighter aka Faster Blade Poisonous Darts)

JustinB

I just finished watching the Xenon "Faster Blade Poisonous Darts" DVD which is apparently an AKA for "Night Orchid"/"Demon Fighter". Despite a promising cast (Adam Cheng and Brigitte Lin), it has to be one of the most incomprehensible films I've ever seen (including anything by Chor Yuen).

I noticed there is a Taiwanese release of this on YesAsia that is about 8 minutes longer - has anyone seen this version? Does it make any more sense than the cut Xenon version?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as I know it has no subs, so I've never bothered picking it up. I know there is a subbed 35mm print out there somewhere, though. Maybe that makes more sense?

Golden Swallow from FLK forum just did english subs for this movie, I helped him by adding the subs and authoring the DVD. There's a page by him on FLK's trading section where he's happy to trade for a copy. As I authored the DVD I also have it, but seeing as all the hard work (I.E. subs) was done by Golden Swallow, I think it's only right it should be gotten from him.

Golden Swallow from FLK forum just did english subs for this movie, I helped him by adding the subs and authoring the DVD. There's a page by him on FLK's trading section where he's happy to trade for a copy. As I authored the DVD I also have it, but seeing as all the hard work (I.E. subs) was done by Golden Swallow, I think it's only right it should be gotten from him.

Wow! Thanks for that news! Very cool!

Yang Wu Liang

Cheers Kaleyboy. Yep, I recently subbed the Hoker version and I can tell you that it doesn't clarify the plot that much. I think it must be one of those films where the director assumed the viewers would be familiar with the Gu Long book it's adapted from. It's a real shame because all the other aspects of the film are awesome! (the cast, direction, action, scenery etc). The hoker print gave me a new found appreciation of this movie, I used to think it was a typical cheapo Tawanese job, but in it's WS glory it can almost rival a Chor Yuan film!

If anyone wants a copy I'll be happy to trade, or ask Kaleyboy if you know him!

Yang Wu Liang aka Golden Swallow

Cheers Kaleyboy. Yep, I recently subbed the Hoker version and I can tell you that it doesn't clarify the plot that much. I think it must be one of those films where the director assumed the viewers would be familiar with the Gu Long book it's adapted from. It's a real shame because all the other aspects of the film are awesome! (the cast, direction, action, scenery etc). The hoker print gave me a new found appreciation of this movie, I used to think it was a typical cheapo Tawanese job, but in it's WS glory it can almost rival a Chor Yuan film!

If anyone wants a copy I'll be happy to trade, or ask Kaleyboy if you know him!

Yang Wu Liang aka Golden Swallow

Lol, sometimes forum name aka's can be as numerous as the movies! Good to know Yang Wu Liang is you, Golden Swallow. I second everything said above: disengage your brain from trying to work things out and you'll really enjoy this great movie. Especially if, like me, you enjoy the particular brand of madness that comes with swordplay movies. And the subs are great, too. A good job done by GS.

Just a quick FYI regarding this aka of "Faster Blade, Poisonous Darts"

I've seen this aka now used for Night Orchid and Great Massacre, be careful on this one.

As far as I can tell, these are the covers/actual movies:

fasterblade3.jpg

Night Orchid

fasterblade2.jpg

Great Massacre

fasterblade1.jpg

I'm assuming Great Massacre because of the cast, but cover image is from Night Orchid

fasterblade4.jpg

Same image as previous cover, but movie is Night Orchid

Any other ones out there?

Archived