Has Image stopped releasing Shaw Brothers?

Morgoth Bauglir

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully not..I have close to 10 their releases and I guess I`m lucky not to be perfectionist just opposite as I found nothing to complain in their releases:angel:

And there is still lot Shaws I need...

Morgoth Bauglir

People like Oldpangyau and Chen Lung just know more about video stuff I think. I've noticed before that the pic quality isn't quite as clear as DD or Mediablasters. But I really have no idea what I'm talking about with the pic quality on these releases. I hope IMage hasn't stopped relasing SB. Maybe they just forgot to keep releasing them and all we need to do is remind them:tongue: Anyone have the website address for Image? I want to send an email and find out what's going on.

Maybe their last lot of titles are released and they'd need to contract another set? The last I was told in September, there weren't any plans for Celestial titles. Maybe that could have changed since?

Basically, the issues were they contain blended frames throughout (pause and skip to see) and jerky movement in a number of titles - also some are in the wrong language :smile:.

Image must take better control in their contract should they acquire more titles. They took note of this when I was in email contact in addition to citing improvements on the quality (some others on the forum did the same). They have a good email rapport (Lynn working there is nice :smile:), so I wouldn't give up on them altogether as there could be potential. The DVDs might not be overwhelming overall, but they could make the best of what's available by ensuring the minimum requirements of a proper transfer and the correct language (in mono as they've been doing, avoiding downmixes) with re-translated subtitles. Anything else is second priority, but still vital for a number of fans - including the English dubs (most likely included anyway by default, but still seeking to ensure they are - potentially going further could include incorporating seamless branching if it's a different edit, or in particular, an externally sourced dub) and extras (archival content and/or perhaps another distributor has something that could be sub-licensed). They do have lovely artwork:bigsmile:.

Morgoth Bauglir

I've been very happy about the sound on the IMage releases. Those 5.1 remixes can ruin a movie for me.

Has Image ever released anything in Cantonese? They seem to only have Mandarin audio tracks. They need someone to work there that knows what the correct languages of these movies are.

I agree I do notice bad quality on the IMage releases when I pause the movie, but to be honest, I don't care. I only care what the movie looks like when it's playing, not when it's paused.

Chen Lung, just wondering, do you make DVDs? I want to know how I can get more knowledgable on the whole picture quality thing. I feel retarded eveyr time I read about this stuff.

Also, does anyone know the Image web address. I don't think it's imageentertainment.com

The Silver Fox

Isn't image Entertainment in serious financial trouble? I think they are bankrupt, so it may be that they won't be releasing anything in the near future.

I've been very happy about the sound on the IMage releases. Those 5.1 remixes can ruin a movie for me.

Absolutely. They seem to have done fine in that regard.

Has Image ever released anything in Cantonese? They seem to only have Mandarin audio tracks.

I don't think they have. Titles like 'Shaolin Intruders' should be Cantonese.

They need someone to work there that knows what the correct languages of these movies are.

Yeah, they need to get onto the forum, or ensure they confirm such details before going ahead. There are others on the forum who would be best at this.

I agree I do notice bad quality on the IMage releases when I pause the movie, but to be honest, I don't care. I only care what the movie looks like when it's playing, not when it's paused.

The thing is, if I wanted to pause to see something, it may contain blending - perhaps lesser detail to an extent as well.

When it comes to movement, some displays let you away with it to an extent due to the technology, but others don't handle it well. With the titles speed-correction has been applied to, it apparently looks worse. It's always just good policy it's correct to ensure there's no issues in any given situation.

Chen Lung, just wondering, do you make DVDs? I want to know how I can get more knowledgable on the whole picture quality thing. I feel retarded eveyr time I read about this stuff.

Not at all. I just report what I can because it's something I'm particularly interested in:smile:.

Also, does anyone know the Image web address. I don't think it's imageentertainment.com

Link.

Morgoth Bauglir

Good points. Thanks for the info and the link. I'm going to send an email when I go to the webpage. Hopefully I'll get a response within a few days or so and I'll post it here.

Morgoth Bauglir

Well, I got a response to my email I sent. Here it is-

"Thank you for the inquiry.

There are currently no new Shaw Brothers titles in our DVD release schedule.

Have a great week."

At least it's not all bad news in this email. Apparently I'm supposed to have a great week.

People like Oldpangyau and Chen Lung just know more about video stuff I think. I've noticed before that the pic quality isn't quite as clear as DD or Mediablasters. But I really have no idea what I'm talking about with the pic quality on these releases. I hope IMage hasn't stopped relasing SB. Maybe they just forgot to keep releasing them and all we need to do is remind them:tongue: Anyone have the website address for Image? I want to send an email and find out what's going on.

I just noticed that I was being paged :wink: Well, we're "videophiles", so any errors in video authoring will show up. Plus I have to work with HD video on a daily basis, so if I make damn sure that I make 24p video for my work, I'd expect a company based around video to get it right.

kungfusamurai

I avoided Image DVDs because they didn't feature english dub tracks, and I think I heard complaints about the prints being the same DVD5 source or PAL to NTSC converted quality that Celestial's IVLs were using. Plus they didn't really put out anything interesting to me, other than Legendary Weapons Of China, which I bought.

KFS

At least it's not all bad news in this email. Apparently I'm supposed to have a great week.

Is the great week up for pre-order anywhere yet? If I can get that for a reasonable price then I'll probably sell my lousy week on ebay.

Morgoth Bauglir

Actually I don’t know if it will be available to the public. But I have mine up on the trade forum if you want it. I took a look at it and it does look like a pretty good week.

Morgoth Bauglir

Oh yeah right Mark. Already you would have gotten a box of brand new special limited edition crayons that features the new exciting and powerful kung fu crayon, a fortune cookie that absolutely promises to have a good fortune inside, and a copy of Manos the Hand of Fate extended director’s cut. Shows what you know about great weeks:rolleyes:

lightning hopkins

Just read in some trade publication that Hollywood bought all rights to the great week and already has a remake slated for 2012. Bobcat Goldthwait and Chris Tucker's kid are tentatively scheduled to star.

And word on the street is that the DVD release will be heavily interlaced and use the Latvian soundtrack instead of the correct Lithuanian one. When will they ever learn? When will they...ever....learn?

Actually I don’t know if it will be available to the public. But I have mine up on the trade forum if you want it. I took a look at it and it does look like a pretty good week.

Would you be willing to trade your great week for a "Monday that sucked donkeyballs" and a "the hot blonde receptionist looked particularly fine on Wednesday"? Both with orginal mono.

I avoided Image DVDs because they didn't feature english dub tracks, and I think I heard complaints about the prints being the same DVD5 source or PAL to NTSC converted quality that Celestial's IVLs were using. Plus they didn't really put out anything interesting to me, other than Legendary Weapons Of China, which I bought.

KFS

i have not compared any IVL/Image releases side to side, but i think IVL have better, deeper black level, better colors while the picture sometimes is not so sharp in the edges of the screen.. Image looks like their releases are a bit sharper in the outer areas of the screen..

I dont know if its true or if its just my imagination playing tricks on me :crossedlips:

Killer Meteor
i have not compared any IVL/Image releases side to side, but i think IVL have better, deeper black level, better colors while the picture sometimes is not so sharp in the edges of the screen.. Image looks like their releases are a bit sharper in the outer areas of the screen..

I dont know if its true or if its just my imagination playing tricks on me :crossedlips:

Image's discs are technically worse because of the speed issues, but the IVLs are not much better either.

Why couldn't Hong Kong DVDs just stay PAL?

It doesn't surprise that they did stop. I believe they never finished releasing the SummerStorm Asian Cinema series either right?

Archived