The 36th Chamber of Shaolin Blu-Ray Review

Ronin

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My reaction:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Seriously, how do you make 39 progressive scan DVDs, then with your first blu-ray (a format that is very "progressive scan friendly") you make it interlaced?! Meanwhile there are rumors that The Killer will be a PAL-to-NTSC transfer! WTF?!?!?!

EDIT:

It gets worse... did anyone check the runtime of the Dragon Dynasty blu-ray? That's right: IT'S A PAL-TO-NTSC INTERLACED TRANSFER!!!!!!!!!! It's like they just took the damn IVL DVD and upconverted it! WHAT THE HELL?!?!

Experience the best of classic and contemporary smash hits from the world’s most exciting genre like never before' date=' with cutting-edge digital video and audio remastering and exclusive, never-before-seen bonus features.[/quote']

lolololololololololololololololol go out of business already.

EDIT: Please.

EDITEDIT: I almost preorded it. I figured "what could possibly go wrong, it'll just be a 1080p version of the DVD - more than good enough." Then I remembered it was Dragon Dynasty and figured it would be wise to wait for reviews - picked up INSIDE MAN instead. Yay me.

My reaction:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Seriously, how do you make 39 progressive scan DVDs, then with your first blu-ray (a format that is very "progressive scan friendly") you make it interlaced?! Meanwhile there are rumors that The Killer will be a PAL-to-NTSC transfer! WTF?!?!?!

EDIT:

It gets worse... did anyone check the runtime of the Dragon Dynasty blu-ray? That's right: IT'S A PAL-TO-NTSC INTERLACED TRANSFER!!!!!!!!!! It's like they just took the damn IVL DVD and upconverted it! WHAT THE HELL?!?!

My reaction:

PicardWTF.jpg

Meanwhile there are rumors that The Killer will be a PAL-to-NTSC transfer! WTF?!?!?!

EDIT:

They're not rumors if they're confirmed. Then they're simply facts.

After looking at the screen caps on DVD Beaver's site again I think that is exactly what they did - took the IVL transfer and simply upscaled it.

I love their response on Facebook to the DVD Beaver review and the interlacing problems:

"Dragon Dynasty: With due respect to DVD Beaver, the difference between the SD and BD experience depends heavily on each individual viewer’s home entertainment setup - the vast majority of consumers will see a gigantic improvement going from The 36th Chamber SD to BD."

Really? REALLY?!?! Is that the best you can do? Anyone with functioning eyes can tell that the blu-ray is no significant upgrade from the DVD! Hell, I'd say the blu-ray is a downgrade at this point! Idiots.

Well, if Dragon Dynasty settles for this, we can only imagine that Well Go's blu-rays will probably look the same as well :sad: Perhaps there's still hope for Media Blasters' blu-rays... well, once they come out on time :cry:

The Running Man

Dragon Dynasty = FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL

You know each "FAIL" there could be a score for each of the releases that they have put out. :biggrin:

If that was the case though, it'd have to be updated a bit. :wink2:

lolololololololololololololololol go out of business already.

EDIT: Please.

If only there was a god and that god listened to prayers...

Damn guys! sorry this keeps happening. i have a feeling once i get an hd tv or a blu ray ill be pissed at dragon dynasty..( hopefully not) right now i still have a standard television ( crt?) and on this type of tv dragon dynasty are actually my favorites. heroes of the east in my opinion is the best shaw release ever. i think bey logans commentaries are awesome and just think there are more goodies here than with media blasters. but like i said i cant see the image issues with DD. in my opinion it looks sometimes better than media blasters and the HD transfer through component cables looks amazing!!!!!!!

The Running Man
their DVDs for shaw are very fine

Image wise, sure. But on audio (My Young Auntie) and subtitle issues (all releases, especially Come Drink With Me)? No.

Best company releasing Shaw movies in the US is Media Blasters. Very interested to see how Funimation will do.

Damn guys! sorry this keeps happening. i have a feeling once i get an hd tv or a blu ray ill be pissed at dragon dynasty..( hopefully not) right now i still have a standard television ( crt?) and on this type of tv dragon dynasty are actually my favorites.

I don't know why exactly (wrong field dominance?), but at least on PAL60 CRTs/DVD players, the '5 Fingers Of Death' US trailer has a horrible strobe-light effect on it (upon skipping frames, it goes forwards and backwards). It's not there on the PC, but there's still blending. When I generally complain about interlacing on film-based features, it's to avoid such disasters - not a case of nit-picking, but professionalism.

I doubt they took the IVL and upscaled it, it looks too poor to use as a source (plus, they'll surely have their own better master used for the DVD). Interlacing is odd for DD on the main feature as they've all been progressive (even back in the HKL/PA days), despite reported glitches where it may revert to interlaced temporarily. As for the general source, the differing visuals are puzzling me - DD's Blu-Ray has more image info, but somewhat looks upscaled (from an existing SD source elsewhere from the French's master?) and not as vibrant as the genuine HD French Blu-Ray (an unexpected leap in quality compared to all other releases which have looked kind-of dull-ish, but unusually zoom-boxed). It would be good if it was all explained properly.

Killer Meteor
I don't know why exactly (wrong field dominance?), but at least on PAL60 CRTs/DVD players, the '5 Fingers Of Death' US trailer has a horrible strobe-light effect on it (upon skipping frames, it goes forwards and backwards). It's not there on the PC, but there's still blending. When I generally complain about interlacing on film-based features, it's to avoid such disasters - not a case of nit-picking, but professionalism.

I doubt they took the IVL and upscaled it, it looks too poor to use as a source (plus, they'll surely have their own better master used for the DVD). Interlacing is odd for DD on the main feature as they've all been progressive (even back in the HKL/PA days), despite reported glitches where it may revert to interlaced temporarily. As for the general source, the differing visuals are puzzling me - DD's Blu-Ray has more image info, but somewhat looks upscaled (from an existing SD source elsewhere from the French's master?) and not as vibrant as the genuine HD French Blu-Ray (an unexpected leap in quality compared to all other releases which have looked kind-of dull-ish, but unusually zoom-boxed). It would be good if it was all explained properly.

I think its a case of Celestial sending over an interlaced master OR the new authoring at Vivendi is sub-par. May not be a fault at DD's end but...

...a PAL-NTSC Killer? You must be joking!

why should a HD Master in 25fps PAL be an upscale? you clearly never worked in the business with such stuff to make such statements. A HD Master only needs to be in 1920x1080, the framerate does not matter at all.

there are even real INTERLACED HD Blurays out with shot-on-Video Trash (29.997fps), but they're still genuine HD, shot in 1920x1080.

The Running Man
I think its a case of Celestial sending over an interlaced master OR the new authoring at Vivendi is sub-par. May not be a fault at DD's end but...

It's fascinating to me the apologetic mindset that some will be in to defend Dragon Dynasty because it has connections to Bey Logan and the former HKL team. Yet when these kinds of issues occur at another company, then it's no mercy.

And please don't reply back by taking exactly what I wrote and just write the reverse by changing key words in that sentence so that it'll be against me because you think that'll be some kind of a witty rebuttal. That kind of stuff is boring because this isn't tit for tat. None of what I have ever written about those people has been false information. They've screwed up so many times that's it's unreal especially since it's company with more resources and money than most other companies handling similar product have (i.e. Media Blaster) yet have mostly subpar output.

When Media Blasters put out Heroes Two interlaced, people complained. And guess what? They listened. When people like me and chen lung requested that Media Blasters be more thorough with their new subtitle translations... guess what? They listened.

On the other hand, Dragon Dynasty has not listened to anything. They do not care. Anyone that continues to support that kind of product will continue to get that kind of product. Support quality product enough and quality product will continue to be put out. It's that simple. If something has been expressed to a company and they still don't listen, then apologies should be left behind.

Reading stuff like this makes me glad I'm not onboard with Blu Ray yet. It seems like Blu Ray is so hit or miss with older movies. Of course it's the company putting them out, but until they all put out a quality product............I'll be standard...well upconverting.

I will say it's interesting to read all the technical stuff as I'm not as knowlegible about that stuff!! One of the many reasons I post here......a wealth of knowledge!!

Guest Markgway
why should a HD Master in 25fps PAL be an upscale? you clearly never worked in the business with such stuff to make such statements. A HD Master only needs to be in 1920x1080, the framerate does not matter at all. there are even real INTERLACED HD Blurays out with shot-on-Video Trash (29.997fps), but they're still genuine HD, shot in 1920x1080.

I'm just going by what you said on the ADVDG (!)

If PAL is 625 lines then a PAL master would need to be upscaled for it to be 1080.

Doesn't genuine HD have to be a minimum of 720?

I never even mentioned frame rates.

Besides if gimps like me didn't ask questions or make erroneous statements then you wouldn't have a chance to show off all the time would you??

I'm just going by what you said on the ADVDG (!)

If PAL is 625 lines then a PAL master would need to be upscaled for it to be 1080.

Doesn't genuine HD have to be a minimum of 720?

I never even mentioned frame rates.

Besides if gimps like me didn't ask questions or make erroneous statements then you wouldn't have a chance to show off all the time would you??

I believe what Spannick means is, as long as the resolution is HD, then the frame-rate (sped-up or correct) can be whatever.

Guest Markgway
I believe what Spannick means is, as long as the resolution is HD, then the frame-rate (sped-up or correct) can be whatever.

Fine. But I never said otherwise.

Killer Meteor
It's fascinating to me the apologetic mindset that some will be in to defend Dragon Dynasty because it has connections to Bey Logan and the former HKL team. Yet when these kinds of issues occur at another company, then it's no mercy.

You're full of shit RM. I've had plenty of goes at DD in the past, mainly for that awful Tai Chi Master disc. My point is, sometimes the authoring house lets down the producers and it has happened in the past with other companies. I certainly agree that DD makes far more mistakes that is acceptable for a DVD company but that's no excuse for you to accuse me of being a sheep. Which is all you've been able to do over the past ten years on these forums.

Archived