Question about No Retreat No Surrender (1985)

shukocarl

This one has always bugged me...Kim Tai Chung (as Bruce Lee?) tells Kurt McKinney : ''You can call me Lee De Guere (sic)..."

What the hell does that mean? Anyone? :neutral

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Markgway is right 'Lee Dai Gor' in Cantonese 'Big Brother Lee'

Dai Gor is often used as a sign of respect...Jackie is often refered to as Dai Gor for the entire industry, while Sammo is known as 'Dai Gor Dai'...Biggest of the Big Brothers

And when mobile phones first started popping up in HK, and were big unweildy and damn expensive to buy and use, Sammo was one of the first to have and they very quickly became known as 'Dai Gor Dimwar'..Big Brother Phones

I'll have to go back through the film but doesnt Kurt Mckinney refer to Bruce as "Sensei Lee' when he goes to the grave site to ask for help???

Yes....he even says it when he appears from the light.

Lee: "You asked me for my help".

Jason: "I asked you?" (looks at the poster) "Sensei Lee?"

Lee: "Lee Dai Gor you call me."

Reel Power Stunts

Big Mike...is damn right! Just think it's worth chipping in that the reason "Bruce" uses the Mandarin version of "Big Brother" in NRNS (and not the Cantonese) is probably due to scriptwriter Keith Strandberg being a good Mandarin speaker.

The Running Man
Big Mike...is damn right! Just think it's worth chipping in that the reason "Bruce" uses the Mandarin version of "Big Brother" in NRNS (and not the Cantonese) is probably due to scriptwriter Keith Strandberg being a good Mandarin speaker.

And it's an error on his part. Bruce didn't speak Mandarin therefore he should have been saying, "Lei Dai Go".

Out of topic I did read one website(dunno if this is what really happned) van damme kicked mcKinney on purpose when frustrated on filming fight scene...

The Running Man

I always found it funny Van Damme never mentions this movie. I can understand it in terms of overall quality since the movie is "so bad it's good" but in terms of action Jean Claude has never looked as good as he does in here and that's all thanks to Corey Yuen.

Surprisingly, the movie gets referenced totally out of the blue in the current American box office smash "Valentine's Day" by Julia Roberts of all people!

I always found it funny Van Damme never mentions this movie. I can understand it in terms of overall quality since the movie is "so bad it's good" but in terms of action Jean Claude has never looked as good as he does in here and that's all thanks to Corey Yuen.

Surprisingly, the movie gets referenced totally out of the blue in the current American box office smash "Valentine's Day" by Julia Roberts of all people!

By no means a good movie and quite cheesy.But entertaining it is and I have often thought van damme should have played more bad guy roles.

Guest Markgway
Why is Kim Tai Chung not mentioned in the end credits?

He gets billing in the International Cut. Fifth in the closing credits as Kim Tai Chong.

Well, Corey Yuen was frustrated with McKinney on the set when McKinney had his one leg tied up and had to jump to kick the ball. Yuen himself did the stunt and McKinney eventually got it done as seen in the film.

Van Damme accidentally kicked Tim Baker (Jason's father) in the mouth when he jumped ff the guy's back in one take of the opening fight scene. And the scene where Van Damme takes on Peter Cunningham and spin kicks him and it look liked he knocked him out. He apparently REALLY knocked him out in that scene.

I read this on a site called ontheset.com, which featured memories of the Seasonal HK-US crossovers from screenwriter Keith Strandberg.

The Running Man

Overall the US version is better, IMO. One of the very few re-edits and re-scored versions of a film that I thought was an improvement on the original.

Shame that version is only available on VHS.

Archived