Dragon Dynasty's Return of the One Armed Swordsman release date confusion

OldPangYau

According to Dragon Dynasty's Facebook page, as of now, Return of the One Armed Swordsman is NOT coming out in May... but they are indeed working on the DVD. They said not to trust any outside dates unless Dragon Dynasty confirms them otherwise.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do u guys literally buy every release that comes out, I mean what is suppose to be different????

For those who don't have the movie at all, it's a lot different :wink:

masterofoneinchpunch
Do u guys literally buy every release that comes out, I mean what is suppose to be different????

Yes some of us do :). I try to get all of the Shaw Brothers R1 releases (technically I try to buy as many R1 releases of HK/Mainland films as I can).

Yes some of us do :). I try to get all of the Shaw Brothers R1 releases (technically I try to buy as many R1 releases of HK/Mainland films as I can).

I've been trying to get all of the Dragon Dynasty and Media Blasters Shaws. The others (Image, Well Go, etc) I've been hesitant with so far. However, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Funimation gets them right.

masterofoneinchpunch
I've been trying to get all of the Dragon Dynasty and Media Blasters Shaws. The others (Image, Well Go, etc) I've been hesitant with so far. However, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Funimation gets them right.

I've got all of the DD releases and all R1 Shaw releases except for Lost Souls and King Eagle which I'm waiting for from Deep Discount (watched all except Seeding of a Ghost and Brave Archer and His Mate). The Image and Well Go are certainly a mixed bag with quality (well so is DD, but I've liked a lot of the extras on those). I hope too Funimation gets it correct :).

Of course I'll pick up this release.

Video-wise, Dragon Dynasty has nailed their SB releases. But yeah, there have been other "misses", most notably when My Young Auntie only had a Mandarin option for "original language". My top priorities for SB releases are film-speed transfers (preferably 24p progressive scan transfers, which all of DD have and all but one of the MBs have), and original (proper) language mono tracks.

It's not that complicated, really. If I can make a film speed 24p transfer from a PAL master myself (which I can and have), no reason official DVD companies can't. And if all you have to work with is a PAL-to-NTSC interlaced master, DON'T "TIME CORRECT". That's right, I'm looking at you Image Entertainment!

I buy all the DD releases as well as other US companies putting out SHAW BROS on Region 1 DVDs. I want the english dubs and the possiblity of extras is awesome as well. I also feel that the more of us fans that buy these films give companies faith in aquiring rights and putting out asian cinema on DVD in the US!!!

Wow cover art and a June release date!! Sweet.

I also have to say that is some of the better cover art DD has done for their SHAW BROS releases or in general!!

BTW welcome to the boards Pai Mei!!

Guest Markgway

Why aren't they releasing DVDs and BDs at the same time?

It's a double-dip nightmare.

You buy the DVD and 6 months later they'll put out a BD.

Thanks gorhama, I’ve been consistently following these forums for at least two years now, but just now, for some reason, decided to actually get involved. You guys on here truly have a tremendous wealth of information.

I had preordered RotOAS back in early Febuary from Amazon for $14. (I’ve noticed that DD frequently has a low initial preorder price…but as the release date approaches, the price jumps up to $18 or $20) In mid February they notified me that the release date was pushed and they slapped a release date of June 8 on Amazon’s web page. So I’m not truly convinced quite yet that this will be the actual release date. I hope DD gave them that specific date and not just tell them “Oh, we’re not gonna be ready by then. So can you push it back another 3 or 4 weeks?”

Well, the good news is that the June 8 release date has stuck since mid February.

Thanks gorhama, I’ve been consistently following these forums for at least two years now, but just now, for some reason, decided to actually get involved. You guys on here truly have a tremendous wealth of information.

I had preordered RotOAS back in early Febuary from Amazon for $14. (I’ve noticed that DD frequently has a low initial preorder price…but as the release date approaches, the price jumps up to $18 or $20) In mid February they notified me that the release date was pushed and they slapped a release date of June 8 on Amazon’s web page. So I’m not truly convinced quite yet that this will be the actual release date. I hope DD gave them that specific date and not just tell them “Oh, we’re not gonna be ready by then. So can you push it back another 3 or 4 weeks?”

Well, the good news is that the June 8 release date has stuck since mid February.

What I've noticed is that once the cover art is up, the release date is usually final. Dragon Dynasty even says on their Facebook page not to trust any release dates until they announce them. However, this looks pretty solid.

Well, just got another press release and the date is now June 29...

Oh dear... used to be able to count on a solid release date and progressive scan transfers from them... now they're becoming worse than most other companies.

Seriously, did Bey Logan take Brian White with him again? Whenever Bey Logan leaves a DVD company, it seems like the DVDs produced afterwards drop DRASTICALLY in quality. First HKL/Premiere Asia and now Dragon Dynasty.

Archived