Uncut Tom Yum Goong on blu-ray... from Dragon Dynasty?

OldPangYau

According to Dragon Dynasty's Facebook page, they mentioned that The Protector would feature BOTH cuts of the film in high definition. I personally thought they would've taken the low road and just have the US cut in HD, and the Thai cut in SD.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's nice to hear. Hopefully they can do something similar when Supercop debuts on Blu-ray.

Ehh... the DVD to begin with didn't even have the HK cut, let alone "deleted scenes" from said cut. On a related note, after what Kam and Ronson did with their blu-ray of Supercop, I also doubt Fortune Star even has a proper HD transfer to let Dragon Dynasty use. I'm starting to wonder if Fortune Star actually lost their HD masters of the Police Story trilogy after the upconversion disasters of all three films.

According to Dragon Dynasty's Facebook page, they mentioned that The Protector would feature BOTH cuts of the film in high definition. I personally thought they would've taken the low road and just have the US cut in HD, and the Thai cut in SD.

I can almost taste the upscaling. Those K&R POLICE STORY and OUATIC discs claim to be in "full 1080P" on the cover, too. I'll believe the uncut TOM YUM GOONG is really HD when someone lays hands on the disc and writes a review confirming it, which I will then cross-check with a secondary review from another source. Not that it matters THAT much, as this film isn't on my "to buy" list in the first place - but I am interested to see how the situation plays out.

I can almost taste the upscaling. Those K&R POLICE STORY and OUATIC discs claim to be in "full 1080P" on the cover, too. I'll believe the uncut TOM YUM GOONG is really HD when someone lays hands on the disc and writes a review confirming it, which I will then cross-check with a secondary review from another source. Not that it matters THAT much, as this film isn't on my "to buy" list in the first place - but I am interested to see how the situation plays out.

True. 36th Chamber of Shaolin will be their first "test" for HD releases. Also, I think the best way to tell if TYG is an upscale is to compare it with the US release. The US version will obviously be in HD as I've actually watched it "on demand" before (not bad aside from the expected streaming compression), but I guess we should be cautious until it comes out.

True. 36th Chamber of Shaolin will be their first "test" for HD releases. Also, I think the best way to tell if TYG is an upscale is to compare it with the US release. The US version will obviously be in HD as I've actually watched it "on demand" before (not bad aside from the expected streaming compression), but I guess we should be cautious until it comes out.

I'm not particularly worried about 36TH CHAMBER. Dragon Dynasty's proven themselves to be reliably lazy, so if the DVD was acceptable then the Blu-ray should be equally acceptable, no better and no worse, the only difference being that the feature presentation has more pixels.

EDIT EDIT: LOL! 36TH CHAMBER OF SHAOLIN is friggin' 1080i and PAL to NTSC! Christ, these clowns...

TYG is more questionable because I don't think there's ever been an HD release of the uncut version, and I can't imagine The Weinstein Company footing the bill to make one (especially considering their dire financial situation) if they could just upscale. You just know these guys think their version of the movie is the "real" one - the other cut is a "special feature" to be relegated to disc 2.

We shall see. It would be great, if totally out of character, if they actually fixed the stuff that the DVDs didn't get right. But now we're trafficking in the absurd.

EDIT - I stand corrected - there are apparently three other Blu-rays of TOM YUM GOONG, though I have no idea what cut is on any of them. The fact that two of them are actually called THE PROTECTOR does not inspire confidence.

Archived