Buddah Bless You's...

Jonny66

Been in a Shaolin Monk mood lately, and was wondering: what 70s Kung fu flicks (Shaw or indie) are the kings of english-dubbed "Buddah Bless You"s? Thanks for any help...

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Killer Meteor
Been in a Shaolin Monk mood lately, and was wondering: what 70s Kung fu flicks (Shaw or indie) are the kings of english-dubbed "Buddah Bless You"s? Thanks for any help...

Shaolin Wooden Men has about fifty!

Just watched "Shaolin vs Ninja" and it didn't have many "Buddha bless you"'s, maybe a few, but the monks do say this a lot.... something like "ah me dah for" what exactly are they saying??

Guest Markgway

Can't remember the film, but there was one where the abbot kept on saying "buddha bless you" and it started to get on my tits. Give the man some proper dialogue... jeez!

I'm not sure if there could be variations, but I have heard "Ah-mi-ta-bha" which is "Buddha Be Praised" or "Blessed be Buddha"

Awesome, thanks for the info... did a little research on wiki...

"Amitābha" is translatable as "Infinite Light"

The proper form (wordstem) of Amitābha's name in Sanskrit is Amitābha, masculine, and the nominative singular is Amitābhaḥ. This is a compound of the Sanskrit words amita ("without bound, infinite") and ābhā ("light, splendor"). Consequently, the name is to be interpreted as "he who possesses light without bound, he whose splendor is infinite".

In Chinese, his name is given as Ēmítuó Fó (阿彌陀佛 boundless Buddhas), where Ēmítuó is the Chinese representation of the first three syllables of either Amitābha or Amitāyus, and Fó is Chinese for Buddha

So I guess "Amitabha Buddha" or "Amita Fo" would be the same, translating to "Infinite Light Buddha."

Killer Meteor
Can't remember the film, but there was one where the abbot kept on saying "buddha bless you" and it started to get on my tits. Give the man some proper dialogue... jeez!

Snake & Crane Arts Of Shaolin?

For a bit of variety, in One Armed Swordsmen, they say "Buddha Bless Us" and "As ye shall sow, so shall ye reap!"

Chia Ling AKA Judy Lee

I love the buddha bless you's. As has been pointed out it is not a direct translation of the Chinese, and I'd always be disappointed when it was said as amitabha. I can't remember exactly which ones, but most Carter Wong Shaolin titles have a pleasurable smattering of the old blessings.

Killer Meteor
Possibly...

What really got on my nerves was in 8 Masters, where everytime Carter was about to kill someone, he remembers the monk's advice to "have patience...forgive offence." This happens 8 times in rapid succession :(

Thanks for all of the titles! I like the part in Iron Monkey (1977) where the head Abbot, upon seeing his Buddah statue moved, replies "Sinful, sinful...", and then lets out a couple of Buddah Bless You's...

Just watched "Shaolin vs Ninja" and it didn't have many "Buddha bless you"'s, maybe a few, but the monks do say this a lot.... something like "ah me dah for" what exactly are they saying??

So i watch Shaolin vs Lama the same day you watched vs Ninja lol what coincidence. In vs Lama the women who be comes a Nun chants in a row "Buddah's name be praised" I counted about 13 times & about 6 in one scene then it cuts to a breath shot of Alexander Lou training then she says it about 7 times.

I think I'm gonna try a drinking game with Shaolin v Lama they say it so much. "Buddah's Name be Praised"

Great movie too.

That's a really good idea! I think you may be on to something there..

Archived