The Wolfman

daisho2004

OK I just got back from seeing this movie tonight and I thought it was great. If your a fan of the classic Lon Chaney Jr. one than you'll love this one. It was a little different from the original with a twist which I won't spoil, but it moved really fast and the SP-FX were top notch. It had the feel of the classic movie which in today's remakes are hard to find. Overall a must see movie.

the-wolfman-poster.jpg

Though absent from his ancestral home of Blackmoor for many years, aristocrat Lawrence Talbot (Benicio Del Toro) returns to find his missing brother at the request of the latter's fiancee, Gwen (Emily Blunt). He learns that a creature has links to an ancient curse turning people into werewolves when the moon is full. To save the village and protect Gwen, he must slay the bloodthirsty beast, but he contends with a horrifying family legacy.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
froffeecoffee

Extremely disappointed with this film. :sad: The cinematography, set designs, Rick Baker's make-up and Hugo Weaving's Abberline were all great.

But the characters had no weight whatsoever. It made the story slow and the action scenes anti-climatic.

Plus there was no real direction to where the story wanted to go. Was it about the father/son relationship? What was the Lawrence/Gwen dynamics? Is Lawrence tortured by the realization he's killing these innocent people. None of these and other points were given the proper treatment to care about.

A missed opportunity for an excellent horror film for sure.

Extremely disappointed with this film. :sad: The cinematography, set designs, Rick Baker's make-up and Hugo Weaving's Abberline were all great.

But the characters had no weight whatsoever. It made the story slow and the action scenes anti-climatic.

Plus there was no real direction to where the story wanted to go. Was it about the father/son relationship? What was the Lawrence/Gwen dynamics? Is Lawrence tortured by the realization he's killing these innocent people. None of these and other points were given the proper treatment to care about.

A missed opportunity for an excellent horror film for sure.

^

Well put

and why have Rick Baker when you're going to resort to CGI?

froffeecoffee: I cannot believe you didn't like this film! I think it was a little of everything and this film by no means was slow! OK I'll give you points on that there were a few confusing moments in the film but not really anything that made me go well let me think about it. I thought it was a great remake on a classic and with a twist.

froffeecoffee
froffeecoffee: I cannot believe you didn't like this film! I think it was a little of everything and this film by no means was slow! OK I'll give you points on that there were a few confusing moments in the film but not really anything that made me go well let me think about it. I thought it was a great remake on a classic and with a twist.

Believe me I was so disappointed with this. You are right, I'm happy they went with the classic gothic setting instead of modernizing it.

The drama was unfocused, which leaves the characters' motives incomplete and undeveloped. Therefore the conclusion felt rather weak.

As a remake, I think it was a strong effort that was a labor of love for Benicio Del Toro and Rick Baker. Much better actually, than most horror remakes these days. I've heard there is a 2 hr version that will probably be on the Blu-Ray/DVD release. If so, hopefully those extra scenes add to what is missing in this version.

Guest Markgway

Given its troubled production history it's perhaps not surprising that the result is a mixed bag.

Change of directors, reshoots, release delays...

Given its troubled production history it's perhaps not surprising that the result is a mixed bag.

Change of directors, reshoots, release delays...

Just saw it today and it completely reeks of reshoots and rewrites with plot holes and wasted and half finished subplots. I thought Benicio and Hopkins were terrible in their performances. The pacing is really strange. I love the original and can watch it annually, but I'll never sit through this again. Great werewolf make-up though.

Too bad, because I'd love to see monster movies make a comeback.

^

Well put

and why have Rick Baker when you're going to resort to CGI?

Bkaer said in an interview that only the transformation itself was CGI and the wolfman himself was his work...the mouth of the wolfman was really del Toro's as he really can open his mouth that wide.

Archived