vhs in New York

cabanin

Just wondering if anyone knows of any stores around Manhatten thats still selling kung fu on vhs. Found one place on 37th and 6th that has a lot of ocean shores boots and other stuff. anyone know of any others? thanks

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a place on Bowery that I've been in to that has boxes of VHS tapes on the floor near the entrance. All the titles are in Chinese though, so i wasn't sure what was what. First glance none looked like kung fu - mostly TV or drama.

What about Chinatown?

:khi3f:

odioustrident

There is a store at 36th/37th and 8th I think? I can't remember the address but I'm sure it was off 8th or 9th. It had a stairway descending into the store, some arcade machines in the back, and a lot of Ocean Shores boots. There are still a few of these shops in Queens and probably Brooklyn as well. The biggest selection I have seen of this type was in Little Neck, Queens right on the border with Great Neck, that store was almost all Ocean Shores copies. The store off 8th still has a good amount of stuff, but its more Saturn and Wu Tang label tapes now. One store up on 8th/9th, in the high 40s (49th), had a bunch of Tai Seng etc.. tapes.

*I just remembered that the Video Cafe on 48th and 9th had lots of VHS to rent. At this point, you might be able to convince the guy to sell them. I remember seeing all kinds of labels in there, including Celestial prints recorded to tape!

And sadly, never will.

Scary that we seem to lose a ton of films in each switch to a new format.

Reel --> VHS

VHS --> DVD

There are most likely a ton that will never make it to Blu-Ray. Get them now while you can!

inhisownright
Scary that we seem to lose a ton of films in each switch to a new format.

Reel --> VHS

VHS --> DVD

There are most likely a ton that will never make it to Blu-Ray. Get them now while you can!

Is this list still up to date? I'm heading out to NYC (Brooklyn and Manhattan) and want to know if these places still have anything or if these places are still open. Any info is appreciated.

Archived