"Shinjuku Incident(Jackie Chan)" opened last Friday in select U.S. theatres

wackiechan

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's out on UK DVD & Blu-Ray from 22.02.2010

I've seen a screener and it's real departure for Jackie Chan.He's not the usual happy go lucky hero, it's really dark and downbeat in places but a massive improvement on his recent Hollywood stuff.

ShinjukuDVD2D-1.jpg

Press Release

“PULSATING IN ITS DRAMATIC INTENSITY AND INDELIBLE IN ITS BRUTAL VISION.” – TIME OUT, HK.

Provocative, compelling and underscored with hard-hitting action, the pulse-pounding thriller, The Shinjuku Incident explodes with tension and delivers a career-defining performance from international action-superstar, Jackie Chan.
 Coming to Blu-ray and to DVD as a two-disc Ultimate Edition featuring a host of extras, including behind the scenes featurettes, cast interviews and deleted scenes, this is a must-have for Jackie Chan fans and lovers of action cinema.

Hundreds of Chinese refugees wash up on Japan’s Wakasa Bay. Each has a dream of a better life, but most will encounter only prejudice and oppression. One, a law-abiding farm-worker known as Steelhead (Jackie Chan), has come to find the woman (Xu Jinglei) he has loved since childhood, but his quest ends in bitter rejection when he discovers she has married Yakuza underboss, Eguchi (Masaya Kato).

Heartbroken, his life descends into darkness and petty crime quickly escalates to murder. With blood on his hands, he will risk everything to secure a future for his people, as they face an increasingly brutal onslaught from a criminal empire protected by a secret code. However, ancient traditions will not be broken and his defiance will lead to all-out war as both factions fight for control of the infamous Shinjuku district in the heart of Japan’s greatest city.

Ultimately pursued by forces on both sides of the law, Steelhead must fight for redemption and the survival of those he loves in the darkest night he has ever known...

“Pulsating in its dramatic intensity, and indelible in its brutal vision” (Time Out HK), The Shinjuku Incident is radical, uncompromising cinema with the most unforgettable finale of any Jackie Chan film to date!

The Shinjuku Incident (cert. 18) will be released on two-disc DVD (£17.99) and single disc Blu-ray (£24.99) by Cine Asia on 22nd February 2010.

Special Features include:
 Making of; behind the scenes featurettes; extended and deleted scenes; trailer gallery; interview gallery (Jackie Chan, Daniel Wu, Xu Jinglei, Masaya Kato, Naoto Takenata, Chin Kar Lok, Pater Kam Pau-Tat); Dolby Digital original language 2.0 and 5.1, plus English 5.1 audio tracks (DVD); DTS HD Master Audio 5.1 original language and 5.1 English, plus Dolby Digital original language 2.0 audio tracks (Blu-ray).

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYgooBCwHOI

I liked the movie, but it's much more of a gangster drama rather than an action movie. Jackie's acting is good - nothing great - but the supporting cast is solid.

I'd much rather see Jackie in these types of roles than stuff like Spy Next Door, that's for sure.

The Running Man
I've seen a screener and it's real departure for Jackie Chan.He's not the usual happy go lucky hero, it's really dark and downbeat in places but a massive improvement on his recent Hollywood stuff.

Interesting. I thought it was one of the worst movies Jackie's done in the decade, including his Hollywood fare. Really shocked at how bad the quality was considered this was Derek Yee who was directing. But then again, Protogé was also pretty bad from my point of view but Yee went ahead and topped himself with this one.

One thing I find funny is how I notice people online in blogs and websites keep describing this film as if this is the first time Jackie's done a dark, gritty and dramatic film. I wonder when these people became fans because there is a movie called "Crime Story" in Jackie's filmography. And it's leaps and bounds better than this.

Anyway, I didn't know about a US release. Did some digging and it turns out Sony is handling it. It's peculiar that they are doing a theatrical release at all. They haven't done that with any of Jackie's films. It'll also be interesting to see if it is uncut since they butchered The Myth up, which was the last Jackie Chan title they handled.

you got to go in this movie with an open mind...same with Protege

theyre not Action movies...theyre crime drama's...actually id call them drama-crimes because both are very subtle films, telling stories with a message below the surface...

I loved both of them....its hard to go into them thinking of Drama when you got guns and JC on the cover...

The Running Man
theyre not Action movies...theyre crime drama's...

I'm a pretty seasoned moviegoer. Its lack of action had nothing to do with me not liking this movie. The screenplay was bad and had many scenes that were handled pretty lousy and came across as laughable like the scene with Daniel Wu's hand. Funny enough, Protogé also had a scene with a hand and that also came across as laughable.

What surprises me is cause both movies were made by Derek Yee who made the great "One Nite In Mongkok". Not an "action movie" either and it was top notch. Far better than the two aforementioned films here that he followed up with.

I also mentioned Crime Story which was also a movie that didn't have a lot of action which is why I think it's under rated by many Jackie Chan followers and I found it to be quite good also.

One thing I find funny is how I notice people online in blogs and websites keep describing this film as if this is the first time Jackie's done a dark, gritty and dramatic film. I wonder when these people became fans because there is a movie called "Crime Story" in Jackie's filmography.

Do not forget New Police Story(which is best of series IMO)...I already made decision not to watch Jackies hollywood movies any more but might make exception with Shinjuku,

i love Crime Story and even New Police Story more...but I think Shinjuku still is a good movie...the hand scene in Protege was better imo lol, shit was tight...but theyre just different movies, thats why i like them...

wow. really? had this on DVD for over year now. what difference do the US theatres think they will make releasing a movie so late in the US?

movie theaters are so 1990s, they need to get up to par with the rest of the world. man that's late.

Guest Markgway
Do not forget New Police Story(which is best of series IMO)...

You're not serious???

It's easily the poorest.

What do both of these films have in common? Bad Daniel Wu performances.

Jackie hasn't made a genuinely good (or at least genuinely entertaining) movie since WHO AM I?

SHINJUKU is one of the better ones he's done in the last decade, granted, but it's still a disappointment. I expected more from Derek Yee, if not Jackie.

New Police Story was awful. Jackie and Daniel Wu both gave terrible performances. One of his worst films this decade for sure.

The Running Man
Jackie hasn't made a genuinely good (or at least genuinely entertaining) movie since WHO AM I?

I find that to be pretty bad, IMHO. Good action but the rest of the movie is direct to video material.

Movies in the last decade from Jackie that I enjoyed were Rob B Hood, Shanghai Knights (wish there was a version with the uncut fights in them though), The Myth and The Forbidden Kingdom. Also, Around The World in 80 Days wasn't too bad.

Never got around to see The Tuxedo.

New Police Story I agree was pretty bad but I found it to be better than Shinjiku Incident because at least New Police Story had the good action scenes to give you something to enjoy. With Shinjiku Incident, it's just straight bad drama. And Daniel Wu topped himself with his flimsy acting with that infamous hand scene. Just about the most unintentional laughable scene I saw this year.

You're not serious???

It's easily the poorest.

It`s easily best...at least we do not have jackie grinning like wimp and bad jokes but more human like character with normal weakness...fight scenes are decent too.

Guest Markgway
I find that to be pretty bad, IMHO. Good action but the rest of the movie is direct to video material.

I had a lot of fun watching it though... can't say that about anything Jackie's done since.

Movies in the last decade from Jackie that I enjoyed were Rob B Hood, Shanghai Knights (wish there was a version with the uncut fights in them though), The Myth and The Forbidden Kingdom. Also, Around The World in 80 Days wasn't too bad.

But you diss Who Am I? lol

Rob B Hood is Jackie's worst film (excluding Fantasy Mission Force).

Shanghai Knights was watchable... but none of his American films have excited me.

The Myth was poor, as was The Forbidden Kingdom, as was Around the World....

I grew up loving Jackie's movies, but I can't defend most of his recent work.

Never got around to see The Tuxedo.

You haven't missed anything.

And Daniel Wu topped himself with his flimsy acting with that infamous hand scene. Just about the most unintentional laughable scene I saw this year.

I thought his punk bad guy was hysterical. Bruce Lee would've torn out his spine in a heartbeat.

Guest Markgway
It`s easily best...at least we do not have jackie grinning like wimp and bad jokes but more human like character with normal weakness...fight scenes are decent too.

I think you're possibly the only person on the planet with this opinion.

But you're entitled to it... no matter how blatantly wrong you are.

I think you're possibly the only person on the planet with this opinion.

But you're entitled to it... no matter how blatantly wrong you are.

No I am not..I have watched those films with friends too and most agree while 1-2&supercop have good stunts they just try to cover very shallow storyline.

Supercop is liked most after New Police Story but that`s because of Michelle Yeoh.

The Running Man
But you diss Who Am I? lol

Rob B Hood is Jackie's worst film (excluding Fantasy Mission Force).

Shanghai Knights was watchable... but none of his American films have excited me.

The Myth was poor, as was The Forbidden Kingdom, as was Around the World....

I grew up loving Jackie's movies, but I can't defend most of his recent work.

I grew up on his films too, but opinions are opinions. For example, I always found Police Story 3 to be very overrated but movies like Project A 2 to be very underrated.

As far as the movie of this thread goes, Shinjiku Incident is pretty much one of the worst films Jackie's ever done from where I stand. I was shocked because I was thinking that with the quality of Yee' "One Nite In Mongkok" it could have been really something with Jackie. But it didn't even turn out to be decent. Someone at Sony must've really had some connections to convince anyone to give this a limited theatrical release. Out of all the Jackie Chan titles that they put direct to video, this would be the prototype film for that spot.

It's not a complete departure. Jackie is still a good guy among bad. He doesn't run over any old ladies or anything.

Absolutely!

It's nice to see him playing down the slapstick and doing something with a little grit. I think the movie stands up on its own merits aside from the surprise of seeing Jackie Chan playing outside his usual range.

they have seriously got to get those release dates sooner. we have had this on DVD over a year now and it's going to theatres LIMITED release.

the best we can do as fans is go see them in the theatres. better ticket sales, the better chances of seeing sooner release dates here in the US

Archived