Which dvd version of Ip Man should I buy?

Bruce

I've read so many good reviews of Donnie Yen's Ip Man movie that I'm going to give in & buy it on dvd, but I want to get an uncut version with the best extras/special features. What version would you guys suggest? I'm considering either the 2 disc Hong Kong special edition or the 2 disc UK version: anyone know what the differences are between these two? Or is there another version I should consider? Thanks for any suggestions.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HK version is great! Lots of good special features aswell!!

whatever you do, dont get the Redsun version because the audio is off :P

whatever you do, dont get the Redsun version because the audio is off :P

Don't buy it anyway, because it's a bootleg. :smile:

Guest WuxiaFan
Get the 2-disc HK edition. The 2-disc UK edition is a crappy NTSC-PAL conversion.

Agree with DiP. The HK 2-disc version's special features also have English subs! Well worth getting that treasure!

:yociexp111:

Thanks very much for the helpful info, hope this movie lives up to it's rep! Do any of these versions include an audio commentary track? If so, by whom? Not Bey Logan or Donnie Yen? In any case, I'll be getting that 2 disc HK version.

I was quite disappointed by the HK edition. Not really good video quality.

The best edition out there is the mainland 3disc set, the image is amazing. It doesnt have cantonese, only mandarin (well, in the cantonese track some actor were dubbed so it doesnt matter) but no english subs.

Anyway, that one is the best edition so far (it's a digipack with cards):

11049l.jpg

(it's not a bootleg, it's official release)

thundered mantis

i´ve seen comparison caps on the different editions on the Import Forums, and the HK edition looks like poo against the chinese 3 disc edition, which seems the better one in terms of video quality. Sadly, even better than the BD editions.

Guest Yi-Long

There is also a region 2 German/Dutch disc out, by the Amasia label, but I haven't come across any reviews for that release yet.

So for now, I'll stick to my bootleg untill the we get a proper quality Blu-ray release.

Guest WuxiaFan
Thanks very much for the helpful info, hope this movie lives up to it's rep! Do any of these versions include an audio commentary track? If so, by whom? Not Bey Logan or Donnie Yen? In any case, I'll be getting that 2 disc HK version.

I have the Universe Laser 2-Disc Edition and it does not have an audio commentary.

The Universe Laser 2-Disc version has a flawless transfer. It's crystal clear with well written and easy to read English subs. Not sure what you're talking about...

:khi1b:

I have the Universe Laser 2-Disc Edition and it does not have an audio commentary.

The Universe Laser 2-Disc version has a flawless transfer. It's crystal clear with well written and easy to read English subs. Not sure what you're talking about...

about this:

Cap #1: Hong Kong release

r3ipman01.jpg

Cap #1: China 3-Disc release

newr6ipman01.jpg

Cap #2: Hong Kong release

r3ipman02.jpg

Cap #2: China 3-Disc release

newr6ipman02.jpg

yeah HK rls is better right :neutral:

Does The 3-disc Chinese edition come with a Cantonese track and English subs?

as i said, no english subs no cantonese

however the cantonese track has dubbed actors so if u understand mandarin i think u should go for the mainland rls... it's the best (i mean 2 discs with extras (the 3rd disc has mandarin/cantonese/japanese track) and excellent video quality and packing)

I thought the transfer was quite ugly, which is typical of Universe Laser products. Its littered digital artifacting and mosquito noise. Subtitles are OK except for a few missing words and mispellings here and there.

Guest WuxiaFan
yeah HK rls is better right :neutral:

That's not what it looks like on my TV...:neutral:

I thought the transfer was quite ugly, which is typical of Universe Laser products. Its littered digital artifacting and mosquito noise. Subtitles are OK except for a few missing words and mispellings here and there.

I just watched it last night and didn't hear any "mosquito noise" or notice any digital artifacting. :ooh:

That's not what it looks like on my TV...:neutral:

I just watched it last night and didn't hear any "mosquito noise" or notice any digital artifacting. :ooh:

we have different opinions ^^

The best edition out there is the mainland 3disc set, the image is amazing. It doesnt have cantonese, only mandarin (well, in the cantonese track some actor were dubbed so it doesnt matter) but no english subs.

Anyway, that one is the best edition so far (it's a digipack with cards):

11049l.jpg

(it's not a bootleg, it's official release)

bought the chinese Dir cut of Hero wouldn't buy another chinese mainland dvd, knowingly, again.

thundered mantis

DeathFu, I was waiting for an US BD release, but have heard no news about it.

Fiol, I´ve found this captures from the UK BD. Could you post the same cap from the mainland 3 disc so we can have a definitive winner?

ipmanbdcap6.jpg

ipmanbdcap1.jpg

ipmanbdcap2.jpg

bought the chinese Dir cut of Hero wouldn't buy another chinese mainland dvd, knowingly, again.

i too have the DC of Hero but the quality is far worse than Ip Man. You can't compare them. Just look at the snapshots i posted -_-

Fiol, I´ve found this captures from the UK BD. Could you post the same cap from the mainland 3 disc so we can have a definitive winner?

CUT

i dont have the edition myself ,yet. I ask a friend of mine to upload them but as far as i can see the Br is better (well, it was kinda of obvious) ^^

thundered mantis

To my eyes, the mainland caps are better than the BD ones. Maybe I am biased because I´ve seen the BD caps on full res on the site I took them from and with full res the flaws look more evident.

Take a look for yourselves:

http://www.dvdactive.com/reviews/dvd/ip-man.html

Anyway, a comparative of screenshots will end the debate.

Archived